Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just blacked out the ugly silver front skid plate on my Rebel using Duplicolor Bed Armor Aersol. 1 can is about $12 bucks.
Here are the steps I used:
1. Completely remove front bumper and disassemble plate (Takes some time).
2. Scuff plate with 120 grit sand paper.
3. Rinse with water to remove grit and dust.....let dry.
4. Spray down thoroughly with Brake Cleaner to remove any grease/oil. Let dry.
5. Shake Bed Armor can really good and apply a thin coat of the material.
6. Let Dry 1/2 hour. Repeat this 4-5 times.
7. Let dry after last thin coat 24 hours.......Reassemble and reinstall bumper.
8. Turned out really good and should last forever.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks great. It looks like a very close color match. Can you take a more close up pictures, like side by side to the bumper? Is it textured like bed liner or flat? This may be a good alternative to the powder coating I have been pricing (very expensive!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great. It looks like a very close color match. Can you take a more close up pictures, like side by side to the bumper? Is it textured like bed liner or flat? This may be a good alternative to the powder coating I have been pricing (very expensive!)
The match is almost exact in terms of the black color and the texture is just a bit rougher then the bumper texture. I used the spray can stuff not the roll on. The best way to really see how it will be is to look at the aerosol can lid. It is just like that.

A few other tips when spraying:

Shake the can often and clean off the nozzle often as well. The product does come out in droplets not a mist. Thin coats are key! sometimes you will get a few larger splotches when spraying but the next coat will cover them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A lot of guys have used Plastidip, and you can get a can at Home Depot for $15 or there abouts. It's easy, does not require any sanding, and can be peeled off if you don't like it. There's a thread here somewhere with pics. I did mine and just left the bumper fully assembled...did 5 coats. After maybe 2 months, mine looks good still. And I can just peel it off and re-do if it gets scuffed up or chips from rocks.

Good luck with the mod, it's fun and looks good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.