Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any advice on getting the etorque engine or not? I'm new here, looking to buy a Rebel soon.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it comes on the model you like, get it. I use the gas saver feature but I’m not sure it makes much difference. I just bought a Rebel 12 with black out. Absolutely love it. Mine did not come with step rails so I bought them from the dealer and I had them installed in an hour.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Rebel Rambox
173 Posts
ETorque only makes a difference in city driving.
I like mine, the start stop is nice. If you do a lot of city driving it helps.
highway it doesn’t do much of anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you want the V-6 engine then you have no choice. For something that adds negligible benefits and will cost over $1,000 to repair and adds $1500 to the purchase price with the V-8 engine does not make sense at all. The claims that it adds 2-3 mpg in fuel economy is not backed up by the EPA statistics and I would doubt the marketing claims of Ram.

This is from someone with a very low mileage eTorque equipped truck and such problems are why I would not pay extra for something that makes the truck less reliable and increase my chances for being stranded along the side of the road:

"I've been having issues with electrical in my 2019 RAM e-Torque that has 3300 miles on it. I was driving to Fairbanks about 260 miles outside Anchorage when the problems started April 4th - truck died. Went black. They said towing was arranged would be back in town the following day. In truth, they let it sit on the side of the road for 3 days in the middle of nowhere - I only knew that because one of our haul drivers was taking a piece of heavy equipment up the highway, and he told me it was still there. It was finally towed back to Anchorage April 8th and they've had it since. They called me and narrowed it down to the 48v battery pack, and then told me the unit is on back order, and they had no idea when they would be getting one."

After 36 months these components are no longer under warranty and so the owner foots all the bills, including those for a replacement rental while the truck is in the shop. Twice I have been with inoperable vehicles while traveling and had to stay at whatever motel was available and eat in restaurants and wait for parts and repairs. These were not pleasant experiences. It would have been even worse had I been towing a trailer of any kind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I'm really sorry you had to go through that. It sounds to me like the best engine for the Rebel is the standard hemi V8. I know that on the 2020s the prices aren't much different from etorque to regular, I was almost considering it until your post.
Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
All this negativity about the eTorque ...... starting to make me think twice about my purchase, l hope you're all wrong and I'm not a Guinea Pig for FCA, like I was for Polaris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts