Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I got a call from my dealership telling me FCA as of today as come out with a software remedy to the irractic and hard two to one downshifts. Now this is great and will be picking up my 8 speed 50k HEMI 2016 Rebel tomorrow, and will get the actual pertinent information from my service advisor. This is a big push, I have had 3 reflashes, TCM replacement, valve body replacement, and tranny fluid service all for this issue. To ANYONE on this forum who either said this is normal, put up with this, or haven’t found a fix, hopefully it all can be put to rest. And to FCA, it only took 4 years, WOW!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've experienced this same surging recently. New to me 2019 Rebel with 5.7 and 18k on the clock. Going to make an appointment for the new SW. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've experienced this same surging recently. New to me 2019 Rebel with 5.7 and 18k on the clock. Going to make an appointment for the new SW. Thanks for the info.
How did everything go. I am astonished at the diffence and also increase in MPG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How did everything go. I am astonished at the diffence and also increase in MPG.

I haven't been able to take it in yet. Did you ask them to perform a particular update or TSB? Or did they know exactly what needed to be done. I really hate going to dealers for service unless it is a recall. They act like I have 3 heads on my shoulder whenever I describe an issue. And they always reply, "we've never heard of that..." Lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I will check my paperwork, give me a second.....They TSB information wasn’t attached to sho paperwork, sorry. This is a 2020 TSB sent on FEB 15th, I remember that much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man sorry to hear that, I honestly have had only two occurances where I think I felt a little buck, but that’s all. It has been a month now, and man my truck drives like something different. My next thing to address is possible removing air ride, but I have an extended warranty, so I may be stuck out.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ram Rebel
84 Posts
Man sorry to hear that, I honestly have had only two occurances where I think I felt a little buck, but that’s all. It has been a month now, and man my truck drives like something different. My next thing to address is possible removing air ride, but I have an extended warranty, so I may be stuck out.
I may try another dealership see what they say

·
Registered
2 Posts
Service bulletin # is 21-010-20
Thank you for the information! I'm a brand new 2016 Ram owner and love it so far except for this exact issue, sporadic hard downshifts from 2 - 1. Of course it didn't happen or I didn't notice it during my test drives but it is definitely there now. I'm glad to hear there may be a fix for it.

Out of curiosity, what were you getting for MPG before this update?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am so glad it has reaffirmed your decision to purchase the Rebel. It’s funny, I get more comments from regular 1500 owners about my truck, especially once the see the seats and color pattern. FCA has a win with this model....AND HOPEFULLY The T-WRX version of this truck coming soon!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got this new software flashed today and it has taken care of all those issues. It’s like brand new. I also noticed my mpg went up to around 20 from 13!
Well no dice! After about 2 days it went back to doing what it was before. Maybe even a little worse. Back to the dealer i guess. I love this truck but it shouldn’t be driving like this. My buddy has a 17 and none of these issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine does it randomly, and rarely. Nothing even close to before. If mine starts to increase in frequency I am also going back to the dealership? Good luck, keep us posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took mine in 3 days ago. So far so good. Hopefully it doesn't return like it has for some. The service advisor mentioned that the 8 Speed is a learning transmission. And depending how aggressively-or not- you drive, it learns these shift patterns, So we shall see if it returns after a few hundred miles once it learns my driving style.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine does it randomly, and rarely. Nothing even close to before. If mine starts to increase in frequency I am also going back to the dealership? Good luck, keep us posted
Yeah it ended up being worse than before the software flash. Took it back and they reset the adaptive transmission and relearned the A-E shift patterns. Drives like a dream again. We will see if it lasts, i hope it does. Also they fixed a new recall that is out about the gas tank strap. The old strap can corrode and cause the gas tank to fall off. I suggest y’all get that fixed when y’all get a chance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well the issue is back. Last time at the dealer they reset the adaptive transmission and re-learned the shift patterns and values for A-E. It fixed it for about 2 weeks and now the problem is back again. Back to the dealer we go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts