Ram Rebel Forum banner

221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I went off this diagram Here should get ya started tracking down what you need.
Its the reason I went with the rancho quick lifts I wasn't too familiar with well anything when my air ride went down fully assembled coil overs seemed to be the best route at the time

·
Registered
2018 Ram Rebel
24 Posts
So if I went with rancho, I wouldn't need anything else other than the parts that another member listed there (I think it was about 7 total parts) ? How much lift do those give over factory height (or let's say normal mode with air suspension)
The final height numbers, can be more complicated.

You have to make an apples to apples comparison. Let me explain as I understand it, and, as always, if someone has the definitive answers, please chime in. No office taken.

As I understand it, the Rebel sits higher from the factory than a Classic Ram. I believe by an inch (so I have read...and again, if anyone knows differently, please, chime in). The Rebel with Air suspension, has four settings. They are:

Entry/ exit (lowest)
Aero (lowest your are supposed to drive at)
Normal
Off Road.

The rebel does not have have Off Road 1 for Off Road 2 (at least mine doesn't).
I mention this as, it may be possible that "normal" on your Ram maybe lower than normal on a Rebel. But I dont know for certain.

Prior to installing the Rancho Quick lifts, I had my Rebel in Off Road height (remember it doesn't have OR1 or OR2..just OR) with the fuses pulled. I measured the truck and it stood on average at 39" centre of wheel wheel arc at the rear, and about 37.5" centre of wheel well arc at the front. I still have the factory 285/70/17 Toyos on.

After installing the parts list from the Vshni fix, the truck sits ay 39" at each wheel , measured at centre of wheel well arc. The truck sits level. ( The quick lifts removed the 2" factory rake, as stated on their website.)

My guess is, you can expect similar results using the parts list provided by Vshni. Nothing extra is required for parts. I can only suggest grabbing a tape measure, heading out to you truck, and measure 39" centre of wheel well arc to centre of axle to the ground.

There will be those who will argue Billstein vs Rancho. Which is better, which is worse etc. I am not knowledgeable enough to say which is better. I doubt I could tell you the difference between the ride offered by the the two suspension components in a blind test.

What I can tell you is this; I commute 120kms a day on highway and the truck rides fine. Its stiff, because I have adjusted the front strut and rear shock to 6 (they have a manual adjusted setting of 0-9, coming from the plant at 5). I also am on gravel roads almost daily and again, the truck is stiff but not jarring.

The one point to consider though, is that whether its Rancho or Billstein, you won't find your truck on its stops when its -15C.

·
Registered
2018 Ram Rebel
24 Posts
The best advice I can give for what to order is to look at the parts list provided by Vshni. It will take the guess work out.
OEM coils from mopar, insulators etc.
If you go back through the thread, he lists all the parts, part numbers and quantities.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well as for bed loads I can answer that iv hauled all kinds of crap and it hasn't been issue as for towing well that's not something I do all that often last thing I towed was my buddies camper back in October.
That being said my rear springs are the same as those off a sport with a tow package but my truck is leveled now with the Rancho quick lifts so if I was to tow anything serious with the added weight of whatever I'd probably be squatting a bit and blinding other drivers with my headlights
I found a way to get the air suspension working on my rebel , during cold weather!!!

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Max, so many people are having trouble with that air suspension system, if you found something to get it working, you should post up what you did. I think you'd help a lot of people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rancho quick lift front left strut r5999944
Rancho quick lift front right strut r5999930
Rear shocks rancho x2 r55367
Rear right spring 5154650aa
Rear left spring 5154649aa
Spring insulators x2 52855789ab

Total cost after labour and wheel alignment 2,576.21 CAD
How much of that was labor? Was also wondering if you lifted the back or just replaced airbag with coil spring. Did you actually need the rear shocks because the factory ones wouldn’t work?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
How much of that was labor? Was also wondering if you lifted the back or just replaced airbag with coil spring. Did you actually need the rear shocks because the factory ones wouldn’t work?
Most of it I think the parts alone was around 900 bucks or something this was also a couple years ago so don't quote me on that as for the back just straight up replaced it springs and as for the rear shock no you don't have to the bilsteins that are on the back work fine I just wanted everything to match lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,
Has anybody removed their air ride on their 5th gen Rebel and successfully removed the air ride suspension warning light? I’m interested in swapping out my air ride as well.
Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
AlphaOBD and the MX+ reader work with the 5th gens with an addition harness. After 2017, ram installed something to prevent access to the body computers. Mine is a 2018 4th gen so I had to get the harness and it’s also compatible with the 5th gens. Should remove the codes exactly as needed to get rid of the alarm but I’ve never tried it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone added taller springs to the rear? I tow my RZR quite a bit in the summer and don't want my truck to be squatting while I tow. I just got my my 17 in November, and it has been fine until its gotten below 0F. It has always come back up so far, but I left it in tire jack mode before this cold snap were in and it dropped to the ground. Is it safe to say I have lost all my nitrogen from that? I have just been driving the wifes jeep for the week, not going to bother firing up the truck till it gets a bit warmer. I never have had a service air suspension message yet when it has dropped and came back up. Im taking a trip to Moab in May and don't know if I trust the air ride now. I think might go with the fox 2.0 kit if I pull the air ride, but don't know about the rear coils.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I posted on my own thread about maybe trying the Strutmasters conversion kit, but with the lack of information on it and no adjustability I couldn't get myself to do it. Ordered all the parts and my total was $922. I'll be having a shop do the install as it's -2 outside, garage isn't heated and I'm a pansy in the cold. Hopefully it'll be done in the next week or two and I can post pictures for more people to reference if they are thinking of doing this conversion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,
I contacted airdelete and verified the 5th gen ram kit is in the works. They just need somebody local to verify fitment. If you’re in the area please contact Brendan.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Limited and I'm having issues with the air suspension during winter. For a week it was -25°C and lower but it was fine but suddenly after a week the immediate air suspension sign appears on the screen. We found out that the fuse was blown and we replaced it, but then the same problem occurred at a temperature of -10°C. So far we have replaced the fuse about 4 times. Is there a way to fix this issue permanently??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Limited and I'm having issues with the air suspension during winter. For a week it was -25°C and lower but it was fine but suddenly after a week the immediate air suspension sign appears on the screen. We found out that the fuse was blown and we replaced it, but then the same problem occurred at a temperature of -10°C. So far we have replaced the fuse about 4 times. Is there a way to fix this issue permanently??
I had put a battery warming blanket around the compressor and ran the cord so it could be hidden in the hitch receiver. When I could, I would plug it in during the winter/relatively cold temperatures. Additionally I put 1 to 1.5oz of air line anti freeze in the intake tube located behind the passenger side tail light. Last little thing I would do is cycle the key to run then off twice before starting the truck. After all that was done the truck would return to normal ride height without blowing the 40A fuse. I started doing all of that about midway through last winter and it worked for me up until this past January. The truck would still drop down when it wasn't running after an hour or so but always came back up.
Very recently I switched to doing exactly what Vshni did and just left the air lines/compressor in place. Only pulled the 40A fuse so it wouldn't run the compressor. Once the two warning messages show up and go away it's like the truck is in normal mode all the time with no issues whatsoever. Parts and labor for me was just shy of $1600. Not bad if compared to replacing components on the air suspension system in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its permanent I removed the all the codes for the air ride so it doesn't even show up in the radio options even used it to disable my fog light drop out my seat belt alarm enabled the option to make my drls optional and enabled my power folding tow mirrors after I installed em
It's a great tool to have since most dealers wont add or remove codes and the ones that will will charge you an hour or two labor
How did you remove the radio options? I disabled "P/T Chassis Net-ASCM Air Suspension Control Module" but there are so many other options.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
How did you remove the radio options? I disabled "P/T Chassis Net-ASCM Air Suspension Control Module" but there are so many other options.
If I remember correctly they're under the custset settings.
If I remember I'll go double check at some point today

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know why these alleged "mechanics" where I live wont touch the suspension? There's a place in town that was told is so good with suspensions, if they cant find a part, they can make it themselves. Would not even talk to me after I told them what I was looking to do. I even gave them the parts list. What are they so afraid of?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone know why these alleged "mechanics" where I live wont touch the suspension? There's a place in town that was told is so good with suspensions, if they cant find a part, they can make it themselves. Would not even talk to me after I told them what I was looking to do. I even gave them the parts list. What are they so afraid of?
Got the same problem here in Vancouver/ Canada…Can‘t find a shop that will remove the air suspension :-(

221 - 240 of 241 Posts