Ram Rebel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey all
I just picked my truck back up today
2014 Laramie Limited
Of course with the dreaded air suspension and cold weather sag / error.
I followed Vshni’s Rancho formula and it was absolutely pain free, no mods required just bolt in.
Winter tires on shitty rims in place. LOL
Pic attached

upload_2019-2-6_10-24-43.jpeg

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Awesome glad you got that taken care of.
No longer having that morning dread of whether or not you can drive your truck is amazing lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice guys. Does the truck sit level? Is it higher then before or the same as if it were in offroad mode or normal mode? The dealer has had my 2017 rebel for a week and a half so far.. rear air bags on back order. Told me the ETA is the 11th I doubt it... Asking a shop around me for a quote to do the same do you still use the bilstein shocks once you switch over to coilovers? Thanks guys .

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey Nickster513
Truck sits nice and level
Stance is now like we are locked in “Off-road 2”

I can do some wheel arch height measurements later this evening or tomorrow and post them.

The 4 corners are all removed and replaced with
Front - rancho quicklift coilover shocks
Rear - mopar springs and rancho shocks
Fuse pulled on the air circuit.

Hope this helps
FCA doesn’t really have a fix that allows the air to work in the cold. I won’t give you advice on what to do, but this swap has renewed my feelings of affection for the Ram!

-Fred

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey Nickster513
Truck sits nice and level
Stance is now like we are locked in “Off-road 2”

I can do some wheel arch height measurements later this evening or tomorrow and post them.

The 4 corners are all removed and replaced with
Front - rancho quicklift coilover shocks
Rear - mopar springs and rancho shocks
Fuse pulled on the air circuit.

Hope this helps
FCA doesn’t really have a fix that allows the air to work in the cold. I won’t give you advice on what to do, but this swap has renewed my feelings of affection for the Ram!

-Fred
Perfect thanks. Is it the exact same the vhsni did if I were to just look at his pics? Out of curiosity have you tried getting FCA to pay for the swap I'm wanting to ask them. Does yours throw codes? Vshni said hes going to try to clear them for good. Hope it works. Hows the ride quality without the air ride?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I followed Vshni’s formula / parts list
FCA essentially left me on my own. No help there. But having confidence in the vehicle and not going back and forth to a dealership all the time is worth it.
Ride is good. No complaints at all. Absorbs the bumps nicely. Maybe able to “feel” the tar strips on the highway a tad more, but I may be over sensitive trying to nitpick and differences now.

-Fred

·
Registered
18 Posts
I followed Vshni’s formula / parts list
FCA essentially left me on my own. No help there. But having confidence in the vehicle and not going back and forth to a dealership all the time is worth it.
Ride is good. No complaints at all. Absorbs the bumps nicely. Maybe able to “feel” the tar strips on the highway a tad more, but I may be over sensitive trying to nitpick and differences now.

-Fred
Perfect thanks again out of curiosity are u in canada? What did you end up paying total cost once my guy gives me a quote I'm really tempted to ditch the air ride. Starting next week the dealer will have had the truck longer then I have had it... lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Maybe like I do have duratracs on right now but they were supposed to be the same size.
Guess I'll check when I throw the toyos back on after this snow buggers off

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yeah mine was measured in the shop on level ground so I'm gonna say were the same height. I hope so since we have the same setup lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys,

I've decided to go for the Bilstein 5100 series set up, this involves a few more factory parts as apposed to the Rancho quick strut system but I prefer the Bilstein over Rancho. I find the build quality is a lot better and the ride is a lot smoother. This system allows a raise of 0-2.75" in the front and a 0-1" raise in the rear. I am sticking with factory ride height as my short ass can't get into lifted trucks without destroying my seats lol

NOTE: I was able to do some digging and I can add to this conversation. If you are converting a diesel with air ride to coils, you will need different "FRONT" springs to compensate for the corresponding weight. If it's a Hemi, same idea.

I'm converting my 2016 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 EcoDiesel.
The VIN# I used to order hard parts was 1C6RR7PM8JS313261 which was a 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 EcoDiesel without air suspension

I was able to track down the sales code to delete the air ride which I found off a 2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 EcoDiesel VIN# 1C6RR7PM8JS313261
The dealer will need to do this with the Chrysler STAR computer
(SER) Air suspension, 4-corner (which most of you know of this one)
(SE8) Air suspension, 4-corner delete (This hasn't been confirmed or tested yet, I'll firm it up later next week)

Here is the parts list so far:

2x Front Bilstein Struts 5100 Series: 24-187367
2x Rear Bilstein Shocks 5100 Series: 24-187374
2x Front Coil Spring for EcoDiesel: 68210971AA
2x Front Strut mount: 55398091AF
2x Front Strut Dust Shield: 68041469AB (This needs to be cut down, consult Bilstein install manual)
2x Front Strut Isolator1: 55366387AA
2x Front Strut Isolator2: 55366975AB
1x Left Rear Coil Spring: 05154649AA
1x Right Rear Coil Spring: 05154650AA
2x Rear Coil Seat: 52855789AB

Most of these parts can be purchased from www.rockauto.com

Also you will need 2 struts from any Ram 4x4 2009 and Up. I went to the dealer and they had some broken ones left over from a previous service which they gave me for free. You'll need to remove the lower shock seat that's on the strut. A little bit of WD40 and a hammer should knock it loose. Otherwise you'll have to purchase two new struts from Chrysler. I have attached a photo.

I will have pictures and more details about the whole install later in the week.

Bilstein 5100.jpg
View attachment 27135

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Nicely done I'm sure this will help out a few people out.
On a separate note someone on one of the other was kind enough to help me find out where to disable the air ride just gotta wait a bit and see if it took

41 - 60 of 176 Posts