Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share that I just completed a 1k mile trip from SoCal to Monterey. I own the V6 pentastar (not many on this forum do) but the truck was just unbelievably great!!! People who have driven up and down Pacific Coast Highway 1 know what I drove through cutting through the mountains, curvy roads, steep grades etc. The drive was great.

Pros:
- The air suspension just makes for such a comfortable ride
- LOOKS **** GOOD!!! Got so many compliments from people.
- I have owned only v8's and this is my first non-v8 motor and let me tell you, I definitely felt the lack of power of the v8 vs v6. However, with the gear switching on the steering wheel it eliminated the drag issue when climbing up the mountains.
- extremely functional with three little kids, no bouncy ride = no sick kids!!!
- The truck has essentially no body roll! I am assuming this is because of the air suspension. In my benz's I have the active body control suspension which eliminates virtually all body rolling when cornering. Whatever is in the Rebel is comparable to what i have the benz i think. Maybe not exactly but definitely comparable.

CONS
- Navigation functionality I give it a 3 out of 5.
- NOTHING ELSE!!!

Made the best decision with this truck!

Just wanted to share my experience.

Q

·
0 Posts
I wanted to share that I just completed a 1k mile trip from SoCal to Monterey. I own the V6 pentastar (not many on this forum do) but the truck was just unbelievably great!!! People who have driven up and down Pacific Coast Highway 1 know what I drove through cutting through the mountains, curvy roads, steep grades etc. The drive was great.

Pros:
- The air suspension just makes for such a comfortable ride
- LOOKS **** GOOD!!! Got so many compliments from people.
- I have owned only v8's and this is my first non-v8 motor and let me tell you, I definitely felt the lack of power of the v8 vs v6. However, with the gear switching on the steering wheel it eliminated the drag issue when climbing up the mountains.
- extremely functional with three little kids, no bouncy ride = no sick kids!!!
- The truck has essentially no body roll! I am assuming this is because of the air suspension. In my benz's I have the active body control suspension which eliminates virtually all body rolling when cornering. Whatever is in the Rebel is comparable to what i have the benz i think. Maybe not exactly but definitely comparable.

CONS
- Navigation functionality I give it a 3 out of 5.
- NOTHING ELSE!!!

Made the best decision with this truck!

Just wanted to share my experience.
Can you explain more about the navigation issues? Would you suggest to not get the navigation and perhaps purchase a good Garmin with life time maps instead as they upgrade faster.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QC Guy -
My opinion is obviously subjective but Google maps can really spoil you so I am comparing the garmin to it and there is really no comparison. Don't get me wrong, the navigation on the ram is ok but i think it is more for going in and around town but for traveling long distances then google maps is the best way to go especially with the live traffic and map updates and alternative route options due to traffic. The navigation in the Ram actually got me confused quite a bit while trying to follow it. It has limited text to speech so many of the street names are not spoken. Instead it says "next left or right" so i am constantly taking my eyes off the road to ensure i am taking the right turn. if I have to take an exit it will just say "next exit" but will not tell me if I need to take north, south, east, or west, or bare to the right or left after taking the exit etc. It also has a delayed notice. The traffic update is crap also. It was telling me that there was a traffic jam up ahead at an intersection and that is it! The issue was that when I scale back the navigation map I did not see any symbol alerting me where the traffic is and does not give me alternate options. (google does this the best) But the crazy part was that the intersection it mentioned was actually 20 miles down the road. I found the intersection as I was driving through it and there was no traffic. The navigation only displays how much travel time is left but it is inaccurate b/c it does not take traffic into consideration. I like to see how many miles I have left to go if the navigation cannot consider traffic. This is another thing google maps does best. We relied on google maps more than the navigation in the truck. So all in all, on long road trips - google maps it is and when I am in and around town I will use the garmin. Hope this makes sense.

Another note, i am not able to use a zip code to find the city. Entering zip codes vs city names helps a lot when finding street names accurately.

If i am not mistaken you get the large screen only with the nav? If you can still get the large screen without the nav then it would be an option to consider without the nav. If i had the option i would not have gotten the Nav as I rely heavily on google maps.

Hope this helps .

Q

·
0 Posts
QC Guy -
My opinion is obviously subjective but Google maps can really spoil you so I am comparing the garmin to it and there is really no comparison. Don't get me wrong, the navigation on the ram is ok but i think it is more for going in and around town but for traveling long distances then google maps is the best way to go especially with the live traffic and map updates and alternative route options due to traffic. The navigation in the Ram actually got me confused quite a bit while trying to follow it. It has limited text to speech so many of the street names are not spoken. Instead it says "next left or right" so i am constantly taking my eyes off the road to ensure i am taking the right turn. if I have to take an exit it will just say "next exit" but will not tell me if I need to take north, south, east, or west, or bare to the right or left after taking the exit etc. It also has a delayed notice. The traffic update is crap also. It was telling me that there was a traffic jam up ahead at an intersection and that is it! The issue was that when I scale back the navigation map I did not see any symbol alerting me where the traffic is and does not give me alternate options. (google does this the best) But the crazy part was that the intersection it mentioned was actually 20 miles down the road. I found the intersection as I was driving through it and there was no traffic. The navigation only displays how much travel time is left but it is inaccurate b/c it does not take traffic into consideration. I like to see how many miles I have left to go if the navigation cannot consider traffic. This is another thing google maps does best. We relied on google maps more than the navigation in the truck. So all in all, on long road trips - google maps it is and when I am in and around town I will use the garmin. Hope this makes sense.

Another note, i am not able to use a zip code to find the city. Entering zip codes vs city names helps a lot when finding street names accurately.

If i am not mistaken you get the large screen only with the nav? If you can still get the large screen without the nav then it would be an option to consider without the nav. If i had the option i would not have gotten the Nav as I rely heavily on google maps.

Hope this helps .
Yes it does. Thank you. I bought a top of the line Garmin. And I haven't got lost yet. I will be using it next month when I'm in Michigan on training.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the 8" uConnect without NAV activated. It's $600 here to activate it. Like lasani1121, I use Google Maps for live traffic and rerouting. It just works and agree that it spoils you for anything using static maps.

I had nav in my previous truck because it already had it. I hardly ever used it and found it to be inaccurate. At least with Google Maps you can submit a correction and they fix it.

Glad you gave the V6 and your Rebel a good test. The V6 is still no slouch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts