Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Brought mine a month ago. Had to go out of town for work emergency. Mine sitting in my driveway with just 85km on it. :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've always changed after 5000 kms and will continue to do it then. If anything I'll push it off till 8000kms but that's the max.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just hit 600 miles. I will do it sometime this week. Can never be clean enough during break in. Then the Amsoil goes in on 3000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always seem to do it much earlier then the scheduled maintenance calls for as well. I believe I did my first one in my RAM 2500 Diesel around the 3000 mile mark after a nice long/hard trip of towing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I looked in the maint. schedule and it didn't really have anything I could find regarding oil changes or break in schedule for that matter, unless I missed it which is highly likely. With that being said I am just going to go by the gauge in the truck, figure Ram put it there for a reason and if I follow that I will be all good on the warranty. However it is going to be hard breaking the habit of doing it every 3000 miles like I have been doing since I have been driving cars/trucks/motorcycles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
With that being said I am just going to go by the gauge in the truck, figure Ram put it there for a reason and if I follow that I will be all good on the warranty. However it is going to be hard breaking the habit of doing it every 3000 miles like I have been doing since I have been driving cars/trucks/motorcycles.
Exactly.. On both counts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Every 3k is old school. Every car I have had recently goes off the gauge. When I drove company cars, for an auto company, the policy was to change oil when the indicator suggested it. I have 8500 miles on my Rebel and have not changed the oil. I drive a ton of highway and country road miles and a low mileage interval makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I love all the discussion about when to change your oil. In my 09 I always went by miles because I rarely drove the gas gussling beast but still changed it about every 5k. My dad is a mechanic (hydraulic, diseal, and gas) and he is avid about checking levels and doing proper maitenance but even he and few of my mechanic friends have all said there are a few things to keep in mind with oil. 1. It doesn't matter if the oil is sitting in a bottle on a shelf or in an engine it is all the same; 2. Modern vehicles are using a flow rate to judge if the oil needs to be changed and not the chemical composition of the oil; 3. If you are going to follow any type of rule it should be to follow the breakdown given by the oil manufacturer. It doesn't have to be "dead" on either, running 6k miles on 5k mile rated oil won't blow your engine up but could make it run harder over an elongated time and reduce overall performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just changed my oil. Real pain in the ass where the filter is. Oil plug was easy enough. Before starting, I lifted the truck into "off road" mode. Made it easy to slide under. I put rags on top of the cross member in case the oil spilled a little while removing the filter. The filter was a mess because it was on really tight from the factory. I started to wrench it off and it just ripped open like a soda can dumping oil all over the power steering. Motor took 6 quarts to get in the safe zone on the dip stick. The new filter went in easy. It only had 2300 miles but always get nervous with a new motor possibly having some metal shavings from the factory machining process. It's got clean full synthetic in there now. After you change your oil, don't forget to reset your gauge by turning on the power in the truck (don't start) and press the gas pedal to the floor 3 times. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Gman for the info about resetting the gauge!

I've used Amsoil in my trucks for almost 20 years. And for the last 8+ years (or however long it's been available), I've used their extended life synthetic. Under regular driving, it has a 25,000 mile or one year drain interval. Severe service is up to 15,000 miles or one year. They also have an extended life filter to match drain intervals. I've NEVER had issues with Amsoil and I feel the cold winter starts (WI) are better as well. From what I've heard about what a pain in the arse it is to change the filter, I'll be glad to continue changing it only once a year!

With that being said, I agree with others who make that first oil change early, like 2,000 miles. Then I'll go straight to Amsoil.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts