Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm considering replacing the family Grand Caravan with a new Dodge Rebel and looking for some thoughts/opinions on a few options.

For some context, we won't be going off road (just the dirt road into the cabin in the summer) or towing a camper or any large trailers. Mostly want the truck for the weekend trips to Home Depot and hauling the quad up the cabin.

Before I think about ordering, looking for some personal experiences with the following:

Anti-spin differential rear axle - In the winter we get a lot of snow and ice and my limited reading seems to make me think this isn't such a great option in the winter? Would this be an issue with rear slip around corners in low traction? Pros/cons?

4-corner air suspension system - again, we get a lot of snow and ice, very cold, and therefor a lot of sand and salt in the winter. I know this isn't an optional accessory on the Rebel, just wondering if this is going to be a problematic feature that I'll regret? Have many people experienced issues with it or is it decent overall?

Trailer brake control package - Like I said not towing anything substantial so no real desire to have this. I'll be getting the luxury group so I'll have the power fold heater exterior mirrors anyway. Am I going to regret not getting the brake package? Have you been in the same boat and then realize later, "if I had that I could do... xxxx"

RamBox Cargo Mgmt System - What's your personal experience with this? I like the clean look without it, but seems useful if its not prone to leaking/freezing in the winter. I'm leaning towards not getting it.

For me, the must have options are:

- Keyless Enter n Go
- Rear Backup-up Camera (remember, first time truck owner here)
- Sunroof
- Uconnect 8.4 w/o nav
- Luxury Package
- Remote Start and Security Group

I'm in Canada and I need to confirm something with Chrysler. I have preferred customer pricing with work and one dealer said that discount applied to the Rebel and another said it doesn't. When I look at the pricing online it does give me an addition $6000 discount, whereas cars I know it doesn't apply to gives me $0 discount. Anyone have experience with this?

If you've read this far, thanks! :)

Derf

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The transfer case used in the Rebel is a much better 4WD transfer case than what's used in the rest of the 1500 line.

LSD isn't critical for normal driving, and it didn't come on mine. I bought mine off a lot rather than wait for an order. But if I had ordered it, I would have ordered the LSD, just because. I do use mine off-road a bit, not as much as some guys. I have yet to get stuck, doing just fine without it. It's really more of a "nice to have" for me and my needs.

Air suspension - we've seen a few reports of problems with it. But RAM sells 10s of thousands of the 1500 trucks every year, and a lot of them have the air suspension. My impression is that it's not really an issue, although anyone that has had any problem with it might feel just the opposite. I like mine. I wouldn't have paid for it as an option, but it came with the truck. The extended warranty is a good idea, air suspension repairs can be costly. It can actually be cheaper to get rid of it and put in a 4" or 6" lift kit if there's a catastrophic failure.

You don't really mention how big your trailer is. But if you think you might eventually upgrade it, you might end up with one big enough to have its own brakes. Then you'll wish you had the control package. But you might also be in another truck by then.

Rambox - only complaint I recall hearing about it is occasional cracking, and that you might not be able to find a camper shell to put over it and leave the Rambox usable. Personally, I prefer having the extra bed space.

The rest of your options are almost required just for best resale later. Especially if you sell it outright rather than trade it with a dealer.

Not sure about this month, but the Rebels have been getting steep discounts as high as 20% at various times ever since they came out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My Rebel is the first car or truck I have owned that has LSD, I really like it. We have not had much snow but when it has snowed it is great. Like the air suspension too time will tell if it problematic or not. I purchased off the lot and my truck has the trailer package - don't really need the trailer brake and the tow mirrors. Also the tow mirrors are large and don't fold. Mine is a 2016 ,as noted off the lot, purchased just after labor day and was marked down almost $18,000 off sticker so I can live with the mirrors. My son has a Rebel with the Ram boxes and I find them quite useful. If you can see yourself using them they might be a good idea. The look of them takes some getting used to but they are a great place to store those odd things that you don't want cluttering up the cab. The 32 gallon tank is nice too. My truck does not have the does not have the keyless enter and go my '14 Jeep GC does and I guess it is nice but I don't miss it on the Rebel. Have they licked the sunroof leak problem? There have been some posts about that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Anti-spin differential rear axle - Are you getting 4x4 or just 2x4? Every car I own gets a limited slip rear. EVERYCAR. Then again, I don't own any front wheel drive cars ;)

4-corner air suspension system - I love it. The wife gets motion sick from it....so.....even better ;) I especially like using it make hooking up to my trailer easier....since I back up in park mode, put it into off road mode and ball slides in...and I pull out. It is also (and the actual reason I bought the truck specifically) extremely useful if you have need to get into parking garages...but don't want to have to drive around in something 'little' all the time. Lower it, park it, pull out, raise it up.

Trailer brake control package - Have you EVER towed anything in your life? Do you think you will? Having an integrated brake controller isn't the end of the world...its cute...I don't actually like it...I miss my tekenosha.

RamBox Cargo Mgmt System - Super useful especially around the holidays that we just went through...I load them up with over night bags and presents....kept the interior clean, kept everything safe. Also came in handy when I went shooting....nice locked place to toss the long guns. It also has a nice bed gate...which will let you adjust how car things can slide back (up into/against the cab in the bed) which you will use all the time coming out of a minivan. You will find you can't get as much 'inside' as you used to so it will all have to go into the bed. This also makes the ram boxes more useful because of that small crap you are used to carrying around everywhere can go in those

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response folks. Lots of good info here to take into account.

I hadn't considered the reduced pan space with the Rambox, that makes it less desirable for me but I need to do a bit more reading on that. I like the concept of it, but I'm just wondering about the practicality.

I think I am going to add in the trailer break control package. I think I'd regret not getting, if nothing else that little blank spot on the dash will probably bug me ;)

The 2017 Ram Rebel only comes in 4x4 (no 2x4 option), I going to go with the LSD as well. Again, I think I'd regret not getting it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Pallets still fit in the bed....so I haven't noticed any impacts from the pan size change. It just like having a flare side pickup. The only negatives I can think of are those times you are helping people move and you load the big stuff and then you have some vacant space between that stuff under the rails that you stuff little things ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I like the LSD, the air ride was standard for me and could help with kids and wife climbing in and out.The trailer brake is something I only expect to use occasionally, but figured it is better to have when needed and also could help with resale. I was also unsure on the RamBox when I ordered mine, but have been very happy I did. I have yet to use it for a cooler (see google, search rambox, look at images). I have hauled all sorts of lumber, including full sheets of OSB without any issues. I imagine with kids, you will like it too. There is also a benefit of eating out and taking home leftovers. Rambox gives you an option to keep you cab from smelling like whatever your bringing home.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems the Rambox system also comes with the bed extended and the utility rails so that's a big plus, I've been looking at pics and reviews and I actually prefer the look of the pan with the rambox. Guess I'm tacking that one on as well :)

We took a white Rebel that was on the lot out for a test drive and I went home and picked up the kids and they loved it. We would absolutely need the nerf bars as we have 6 year old twins and the truck is more than half their height. :p

Unfortunately that's the only Rebel in town to look at for colors and options. Another Ram dealer has a Red one coming in a couple of weeks so I want to see what that one looks like. I love the white, but bother our vehicles right now are white so it might be a time for a change. I like the two-tone black on the bottom to hide all the little specks of dirt that turn to rust. I hate that about white cars. Clay bar is such a PITA to get rid of it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My only experience with the RAM box is the one on my sons Rebel. We both work in the trades and the bed size has not impacted his use at all. Probably will get one on the next truck. In regard to the bed a spray in bed liner is nice factory or aftermarket. I have the factory version that seems well done but purchased a bed mat to put on top of it. Always had one on my '96 and enjoy stuff not sliding around. The factory spray in is better than an unlined bed but things still move around. The bed extender also doubles as a cargo fence, or whatever they call that piece, in addition it neatly stores at the front of the bed against the headboard.

The air suspension will be good for the kids.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love the bed extender / cargo fence. Easy to put in and take out. I think it is amazing and I have coworkers that have F150's and silver a do's that have been looking to find something for their trucks for less than $299. Many have ended up with a 2X6

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
This is a pretty fair comparison of Rambox vs without.
2016 Ram 1500: Is the RamBox Worth Having or a Waste of Space?
It pretty much backs up my feelings on why I don't want Rambox. I routinely put a lot of stuff in the bed, and since it's a shorter bed than I've had in the past, it's even more important that it's got lots of width. I've noticed exactly the same issue with bales of hay, for example. But if you do carry a lot of small crap around in your truck all the time, Rambox might be the thing for you to stow it all away. I've got an amazing amount of stuff stored in the consoles and under the seats. Jumper cables, tow straps, first aid kit, tie down straps, rubber straps, hitch and 2 balls, wrenches, a large hammer, flares, reflectors, emergency lights, and a chain. And that's all just under the back seats. Plus flashlights, spare leather gloves, a moderately small toolkit, a lightweight 50' extension cord (so I can run light duty power tools if needed from the dash inverter), a small emergency compressor, and more in the console. And i still have both under-floor buckets available.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a pretty fair comparison of Rambox vs without.
2016 Ram 1500: Is the RamBox Worth Having or a Waste of Space?
It pretty much backs up my feelings on why I don't want Rambox. I routinely put a lot of stuff in the bed, and since it's a shorter bed than I've had in the past, it's even more important that it's got lots of width. I've noticed exactly the same issue with bales of hay, for example. But if you do carry a lot of small crap around in your truck all the time, Rambox might be the thing for you to stow it all away. I've got an amazing amount of stuff stored in the consoles and under the seats. Jumper cables, tow straps, first aid kit, tie down straps, rubber straps, hitch and 2 balls, wrenches, a large hammer, flares, reflectors, emergency lights, and a chain. And that's all just under the back seats. Plus flashlights, spare leather gloves, a moderately small toolkit, a lightweight 50' extension cord (so I can run light duty power tools if needed from the dash inverter), a small emergency compressor, and more in the console. And i still have both under-floor buckets available.
Thanks for sharing that link. I had a read and I think I'm starting to lean towards getting it. For me, personally, the main criteria is being able to lay a sheet of plywood flat. Again, for out situation we're going to have two boosters in the back for a few years yet so I'm not going to want to be taking them out just to get at the storage under the seat. I think :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make sure your options include the Rebel Gauge cluster. I've heard a few guys on here order their truck and when they take delivery are disappointed when they find out it was an option. I don't remember what package it fell under when I ordered mine.
LSD is a must and it's a lot cheaper ordering it from the factory than doing it later. It only takes one 1-wheel-wonder experience or being a little high centered in snow or mud to pay for itself versus the blow to the pride.
I'm on the fence about the Air Suspension: It's a cool feature and definitely makes it easier getting in and loading or unloading the bed. However I kinda miss how planted the 5 link suspension in a few of the other Rams I test drove.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Derf, I'm a fellow Nfld'r up here in NS. I just took delivery yesterday on the limited edition mojave sand Rebel. Dealer took off about $12K from $66850 msrp. Another $400 off extended 5yr warranty. Also, 0% for 84 months which ends 17 Feb. Dealer in Hfx would only offer $9000 off msrp and let me walk out the door. An hours drive outside of Hfx saved me $3000 more. Why do dealers think so stupid?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 9697 Derf, I'm a fellow Nfld'r up here in NS. I just took delivery yesterday on the limited edition mojave sand Rebel. Dealer took off about $12K from $66850 msrp. Another $400 off extended 5yr warranty. Also, 0% for 84 months which ends 17 Feb. Dealer in Hfx would only offer $9000 off msrp and let me walk out the door. An hours drive outside of Hfx saved me $3000 more. Why do dealers think so stupid?
Howdy Neighbor!

That's a nice looking truck. Thanks for the details on the pricing, really good to know what someone else in the Atlantic provinces got theirs for.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.