Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been discussed b4 but only seems right to rekindle the spirit of gas mileage debate.
Drove from NJ to Langley afb on Sunday and decided this would be a good test to see how my fuel gobbling beast does.
Truck has 15k miles, one passenger , one duffle bag and a full tank or gas.
Google says its 323 miles from house to base. Took 12 gal to fill up(30 gal tank). I decided to cut thru Delaware 1/113 and avoid DC traffic. Left Sunday at 2 pm and arrived around 8pm

So, I used cruise control whenever possible, never sped over 65 and gonna guess average speed with cruise control was between 55-65 . When I pulled into lodging the the mpg indicator said peak mileage was 19.5. Could not for the life of me get it over 20mpg and I tell ya I drove like a little old lady going to church. Took 17 gal to fill back up.

Buddy of mine says he gets 27 mpg when he drives to SC with family and all. So weird.

On the flip side, the only rebel I see here is mine, and that's cool!! Nah, it's awesome!

·
Registered
118 Posts
He have a V-6? 27 MPG seems a bit optimistic to me and can't imagine that kind of mileage with the Hemi. I have the V-6 in Grand Cherokee and hit 27 once in a great while. 27 in a full size truck... maybe?. Surely the V-6 is not as much fun as the Hemi though!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have to drive to North Carolina on Friday, it will be a 600 mile round trip. I want to see what I will get. I only have 800 miles on the truck and am averaging 15.5 so far. Most of which is in traffic to and from work. Lots of stop and go.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to drive to North Carolina on Friday, it will be a 600 mile round trip. I want to see what I will get. I only have 800 miles on the truck and am averaging 15.5 so far. Most of which is in traffic to and from work. Lots of stop and go.
Keep us posted , I'm so curious....

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He have a V-6? 27 MPG seems a bit optimistic to me and can't imagine that kind of mileage with the Hemi. I have the V-6 in Grand Cherokee and hit 27 once in a great while. 27 in a full size truck... maybe?. Surely the V-6 is not as much fun as the Hemi though!
No he has the v8 and. Know he doesn't have the steep a gears like I do 3.92 I think they are.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did a mix of Interstate and city today and showed 15.8 - not too much improvement on my 2500 4X4 Cummins. But then again, I didn't get the Rebel to save the planet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have taken (2) 4000+ mile round trips per year for the last few years. I've driven my 2014 Durango R/T (now sold) and got 20-22 most of the time.

I am hoping for 19 or so overall with the Rebel on these upcoming 2018 trips....if its worse I'm not going to worry too much. I buy a vehicle for comfort and space...and I needed more. The cost of that is more gas...unfortunately.

I'd love to see 20-21 in the Rebel...but I probably won't...especially after I add Carven exhaust.

Reactions: zim

·
Registered
105 Posts
2300 miles on my Rebel. I'm seeing 16.5 average. My normal commute is about 80% highway, but there's been a lot of idling with the 20% city driving because of the enormous amount of road construction going on in my town since mid-spring. Abnormally high amount of that this year. Can't wait till it's over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Been getting 16.5-19 avg on my 22 mile trip to work until yesterday, when I dropped a K&N stock replacement filter in. Instant avg jumped to 23-24, overall avg never dropped below 17. 95% of the time, cruise control was on, set at 65 mph. Most of the trip is on the Florida turnpike in light traffic, and last night was a little cooler than lately. I don't know if it was the weather or the filter, but my mileage is a little better. I'm going to try it at 60 mph tonight, which is actually closer to my normal highway speed

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good to know and keep us posted. I ran a AEM DryFlow in my Wrangler and had an immediate jump. I have it bookmarked for the Rebel since I kept the cleaning kit when I traded.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wouldn't a CAI actually do this and more?
They claim all kinds of stuff, but I have no clue to be honest. I have put a K&N in several of my vehicles and motorcycles. I have never seen much of a noticeable improvement. It pays off in the long run when I can just clean the air filter and not buy a new one every time. I would buy a CAI if I knew it helped, I just don't know which one is worth buying.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They claim all kinds of stuff, but I have no clue to be honest. I have put a K&N in several of my vehicles and motorcycles. I have never seen much of a noticeable improvement. It pays off in the long run when I can just clean the air filter and not buy a new one every time. I would buy a CAI if I knew it helped, I just don't know which one is worth buying.
I know which is one is cheaper ;).

No clue either but I know different brands say theirs are better than others.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A CAI is supposed to get colder air to the input. What good is one that draws air from the same location as the factory box? Now, if vented on the hood (ram, lol)...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.