Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone thinking about doing at gear swap to a lower gear? If I had the money to put on 35in tire, and to switch out the gear to a 4.27 ratio I think I would consider doing it. I have read in other forums about people going form a 3.55 ratio to 4.56, but I think the 4.56 is too low considering how much highway driving I do.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The factory 3.92 is already pretty low for me. I find it only shifts smoothly driving it in a semi-aggressive manner. Between the gear ratio and the 8-speed transmission it certainly takes some getting used to for me. It reminds me of speed shifting 18 gears in a tractor-trailer. I think a 4.56 would make this even worse.

I haven't towed with it yet as I am waiting for warmer weather to take out and clean my snowmobiles for storage. The 5.7 Hemi has 70 hp and much more torque than my previous truck so I'm sure there will be a big difference.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Mine's a 3.92. I don't normally drive aggressively, and it shifts perfectly. It's as smooth as any of the cars I've ever owned. When aggressive, it's a tad bit harder on the shift, but one would expect that.

I'm liking the extra gears. Most I ever had in a manual tranny was 5, but I've had several 6-speeds. Especially when using the towing mode under a load, this 8 really keeps a lot more torque on the wheels. It feels great.

·
Registered
332 Posts
For me it could be the newness of the transmission and it's still learning. They adjust themselves over time. I'm not worried about it until after a few thousand kms.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the 3.92 as well, and I have been very happy with it so far. I just have been looking at this chart, and wondering how bad I would lose in performance if I went to 35" tires. Right now I don't have the cash for it anyways. I do wish that the rebel came with 4.10 stock like the RT, or some 2500s.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the 3.92 as well, and I have been very happy with it so far. I just have been looking at this chart, and wondering how bad I would lose in performance if I went to 35" tires. Right now I don't have the cash for it anyways. I do wish that the rebel came with 4.10 stock like the RT, or some 2500s.
Coming from the Jeep forums... I have seen and studied this gear ratio chart a 1000 times! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Ah geez, that's all out insane. 3.92 is steep enough as is. Going to the steeper 4.27 for a daily driver is insane. The Saudis will thank you for it if you decide to go thru it though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the 3.92 and it’s a good balance if you do a fair amount of highway.
I agree with Zim, once you dip into the 4s the mileage goes to heck. I put 4.11s in a truck years ago and regretted it. the 3.92s suck the fuel enough for me and still allow me to spin at 20-30 KMH

·
Registered
116 Posts
You could always put the 35s on and see how it performs with the 3.92. If it's too sluggish for your liking you could always make the swap then.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I found out a gear swap isn't possible for the 2011 - up rams because dodge welded the gear in the font differential. The only way would be to swap the front differential to a 2009 - 2010 8" diff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the 3.92s and I have the BDS lift installed with 35" tires. I tow a couple trailers and my heaviest is approx 6,500 pounds loaded and the gear ratio even with the 35s works ok. I think a lower gear would make it worse more than it would help.

4.10s would be very close to 3.92s and wouldn't make financial sense and 4.56 or lower would be extreme over kill. If you already have the 3.92s, my 2 cents is to leave it alone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts