Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping for some quick input from people whose air suspension has been operating properly.

After going back and forth with the dealer on suspension issues with my 2018 Rebel, they finally got "permission" from Ram Engineering to manually adjust the ride height values for each corner.

My truck has been a little odd in that it sits about 1.5" higher at the rear/passenger corner compared to the rear drivers corner, AND all 4 corners sit higher than they should...it sits higher in Normal mode than other Rebels sit in Off Road mode...which makes for a pretty rough ride. So I'd like to have the dealer level it, and also bring it to the correct ride height overall.

So the question is, for those with Rebels that are at the correct ride height, can you please measure from the ground to the bottom surface of the rear fenders, and post your numbers?

Basically like this...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - I took it in yesterday and the dealer spent the whole day playing around with the ride heights. When I came back to pick it up, the asst. service manger was very pleased to report that his tech got it "perfect" at long last...both in terms of overall ride height, and being level.

When I checked it out at the dealer before hopping in, it was plain to see that it was level, and a good 2-3 inches lower overall. After driving about 10ft, I could tell that the ride quality was exponentially more compliant...now it rides like the 2017 that I test drove before buying this one - very happy about that.

But I've been driving all over the place today, and as far as staying level from side to side, it does still seem to have a mind of its own. Sometimes when I park it, it appears level; other times it leans toward the drivers side...and once it's even been leaning a bit toward the passenger side. Nothing new here, as it's always varied liked this for me since day 1; but at least now it's at the proper ride height, so it's an incredibly comfortable ride.

I haven't determined yet how much it's gonna bug me that it still leans like this. Does anyone else's Rebel have a mind of its own with its self leveling air suspension?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks - I took it in yesterday and the dealer spent the whole day playing around with the ride heights. When I came back to pick it up, the asst. service manger was very pleased to report that his tech got it "perfect" at long last...both in terms of overall ride height, and being level.

When I checked it out at the dealer before hopping in, it was plain to see that it was level, and a good 2-3 inches lower overall. After driving about 10ft, I could tell that the ride quality was exponentially more compliant...now it rides like the 2017 that I test drove before buying this one - very happy about that.

But I've been driving all over the place today, and as far as staying level from side to side, it does still seem to have a mind of its own. Sometimes when I park it, it appears level; other times it leans toward the drivers side...and once it's even been leaning a bit toward the passenger side. Nothing new here, as it's always varied liked this for me since day 1; but at least now it's at the proper ride height, so it's an incredibly comfortable ride.

I haven't determined yet how much it's gonna bug me that it still leans like this. Does anyone else's Rebel have a mind of its own with its self leveling air suspension?
Mine seems to do the same thing. Always looks like it’s leaning toward one side or the other, or just straight up looks crooked. To be honest, I’ve been too lazy to measure. At this point I’m so over the air suspension it’s either being traded off for a Power Wagon or I’m just going to go full retard on this truck and rip it out for a long travel suspension from Dirt King. It’s a shame too, the air suspension is the only thing I dislike about my truck.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Came out of work today and the front is leaning towards the driver side. Lower than passenger side by about 1/2-3/4 inch.
I am a tit bit OCD so it bugs me immensely. It did seem to right itself while driving. So weird

·
Registered
181 Posts
Came out of work today and the front is leaning towards the driver side. Lower than passenger side by about 1/2-3/4 inch.
I am a tit bit OCD so it bugs me immensely. It did seem to right itself while driving. So weird
I’m extremely OCD, but I’ve just given up. Kind of a “just ain’t care” attitude about it. The novelty of the air ride has worn off over the last year and I just f#@*ing hate it right now. I haven’t experienced any real problems, I’m just tired of it’s finicky-ness. One way or another I will, sooner than later, rid myself of it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so it's not just me then! I am TRYING not to let OCD get the best of me about it, but I'm losing the battle. Now that it's at the proper ride height overall, I'm at least enjoying how comfortable the ride is, and trying to focus on that. Before getting that fixed, it sat even higher than off road mode, so the ride was pretty rough. It did look great though...

Gong full retard on aftermarket suspension is definitely on my mind too. That Dirt King setup looks awesome...although the more reasonable Thuren-tuned King coil overs is where I was leaning. I've been trading emails with Don, and he has been very helpful in figuring out the best approach.

I guess for the time being, I'll just continue to obsess over whether the truck is level until I feel compelled to complain to the dealer again. I have sorta put it out there that if they can't get it right, I am "open to" having them remove the air suspension, and install conventional shocks. The response was that this is an option on the table. I've also heard of some people pushing for a buy back to get into another truck. Not sure how realistic that is though...

·
Registered
556 Posts
I’m trying to figure out if I take it to the dealer every time I see it unlevel. Then when and i attack them with the “change my suspension” or “put me in a new truck” situation they may be more inclined to help

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m trying to figure out if I take it to the dealer every time I see it unlevel. Then when and i attack them with the “change my suspension” or “put me in a new truck” situation they may be more inclined to help
Yeah, I think that's the way to go. Thinking about it from their perspective, I imagine two angles to motivate them...one is that if you keep bringing it back, and documenting service for the same issue, then after three tries you could potentially take the lemon law approach. The other is, if they keep spending time/money to address the same issue over and over again, they'd be inclined to take steps to make it stop.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok, so it's not just me then! I am TRYING not to let OCD get the best of me about it, but I'm losing the battle. Now that it's at the proper ride height overall, I'm at least enjoying how comfortable the ride is, and trying to focus on that. Before getting that fixed, it sat even higher than off road mode, so the ride was pretty rough. It did look great though...

Gong full retard on aftermarket suspension is definitely on my mind too. That Dirt King setup looks awesome...although the more reasonable Thuren-tuned King coil overs is where I was leaning. I've been trading emails with Don, and he has been very helpful in figuring out the best approach.

I guess for the time being, I'll just continue to obsess over whether the truck is level until I feel compelled to complain to the dealer again. I have sorta put it out there that if they can't get it right, I am "open to" having them remove the air suspension, and install conventional shocks. The response was that this is an option on the table. I've also heard of some people pushing for a buy back to get into another truck. Not sure how realistic that is though...
Yeah Don is a great guy! I ran his springs (already had Fox shocks on it) and some other front end stuff on my Cummins. Made a night and day difference in drivability and responsiveness! Keep me in the loop on what he tells you. I may contact him again, as well. As great as the Dirt King is, I’m not sure I like the 6” wider track and having to run fiberglass fenders and bedsides.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah Don is a great guy! I ran his springs (already had Fox shocks on it) and some other front end stuff on my Cummins. Made a night and day difference in drivability and responsiveness! Keep me in the loop on what he tells you. I may contact him again, as well. As great as the Dirt King is, I’m not sure I like the 6” wider track and having to run fiberglass fenders and bedsides.
Yeah, Dirt King would be wild, but I think Thuren would still be a huge improvement. And it would still look like a "normal" truck...lol

I'll go through all the emails I exchanged with Don and summarize the highlights.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, Dirt King would be wild, but I think Thuren would still be a huge improvement. And it would still look like a "normal" truck...lol

I'll go through all the emails I exchanged with Don and summarize the highlights.
Thuren would be a HUGE improvement. Custom tuned King’s...you can’t get any better. Now you’ve got my intrest. Can’t believe I didn’t think of this! I have looked at Carli’s website, and they have a kit for 1500’s as well. Both Thuren and Carli specialize in Ram trucks, so you know the shock tune will be spot on.

For the trails I run, the 6” wider track of the Dirt King long travel doesn’t make sense. The trails are too tight. If I lived in Arizona, Nevada or SoCal it would be ideal! Thanks @DVC!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts