Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked all through Uconnect thinking it would be there...but can't find anything.
I have wireless lights around my parking area and would love to be able to turn them on with the truck...but I can't even figure out how/where to start.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It's under the "Homelink" section in your Owners' Manual. To find the section, go to the last page in the manual, the last of the index, and look for Universal Garage Door Opener. It's a little different for each year.

Basically, you train it. Hold the button for a few seconds till the light changes and then push the opener button on your remote. But there is a bit more to do if your opener using a rolling sequence system. The manual will tell you.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm about to program mine for a new Royobi door closer. I'll post the steps once I get it done.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just did mine. Was easy. Had to push a learn on the opener after I programmed it so they sync'd up.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Mine was easy, push program on opener, then 2 on truck as one was in use already, then program again. Done.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's under the "Homelink" section in your Owners' Manual. To find the section, go to the last page in the manual, the last of the index, and look for Universal Garage Door Opener. It's a little different for each year.

Basically, you train it. Hold the button for a few seconds till the light changes and then push the opener button on your remote. But there is a bit more to do if your opener using a rolling sequence system. The manual will tell you.
My wireless light switches must be too far away from the truck for it to pick up the signal. I will have to carry the base station out when it stops raining and see if I can get it to work.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I pulled my rebel 1/2 way in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a little info from my experience. I've got an overhead door garage door opener and I could not get my homelink to work even though my door opener specifically says it is compatible. After trying and trying over and over I couldn't get it to work with either of my garage door remotes. After doing a bunch of online reading I saw a suggestion to use my wireless keypad from outside the garage. It was kind of a pain in the ass because I had to unmount from the wall but it ended up working. I followed the instructions in the owners manual but I just did it with the wireless keypad instead of the original door opener. I guess it has something to do with the frequency or something. Anyway if any one has any trouble with their homelink go ahead and give this method a try.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I took my 'command base' out to the truck and didn't seem to get any play.

I held the buttons until "training channel 1" showed in the dash.
Then pushed the button on my unit

No other message ever came up on the dash and it didn't work.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Maybe it isn't homelink compatible. Or maybe it's one of the more secure ones using rolling codes and you have to take the extra steps in the manual that I pointed out at first?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll go with old tech that isn't compatible. All my lights/switches I have hooked into the system have little dip switches you set to tie them into a main base command station with 16 channels preset into 16 switches that allow you to turn on/off/dim individual lights, turn them all on, turn all off, or go into a panic mode which makes it look like a disco

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
In that case, most older systems can be upgraded by adding a homelink receiver to them. You just run lines from the manual in-garage door switch to the receiver if it's a base station, or strap a tiny receiver to the unit itself. Sounds like you can do that with your existing system.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
BTW, did you try the alternate option for rolling code systems? From the manual:

Programming A Rolling Code
NOTE:
For programming Garage Door Openers that were manufactured after 1995. These
Garage Door Openers can be identified by the “LEARN” or “TRAIN” button located
where the hanging antenna is attached to the Garage Door Opener. It is NOT the
button that is normally used to open and close the door. The name and color of the
button may vary by manufacturer.
1. Place the ignition switch into the ON/RUN position.
2. Place the hand-held transmitter 1 to 3 inch (3 to 8 cm) away from the HomeLink®
button you wish to program while keeping the HomeLink® indicator light in view.
3. Simultaneously press and hold both the Homelink® button you want to program
and the hand-held transmitter button.
4. Continue to hold the buttons until the EVIC/DID display changes from “CHANNEL
# TRAINING” to “CHANNEL # TRAINED”, then release both buttons.
NOTE:
If the EVIC/DID displays “DID NOT TRAIN” repeat from Step 2.
5. At the garage door opener motor (in the garage), locate the “LEARN” or
“TRAINING” button. This can usually be found where the hanging antenna wire
is attached to the garage door opener motor. Firmly press and release the
“LEARN” or “TRAINING” button.
NOTE:
You have 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step after the LEARN button has
been pressed.
6. Return to the vehicle and press the programmed HomeLink® button twice
(holding the button for two seconds each time). The EVIC/DID will display
“CHANNEL # TRANSMIT”. If the garage door opener/device activates, programming
is complete.
NOTE:
If the device does not activate, press the button a third time (for two seconds) to
complete the training.
7. To program the remaining two HomeLink® buttons, repeat each step for each
remaining button. DO NOT erase the channels.
E L E C T R O N I C S

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the more detailed instructions. I think my 'wireless' setup is too old. I've held both buttons for 120 seconds and 'training' never switches to 'trained'.....this is not a garage door opener anyway which might be part of the reason...it is wireless lights I have installed on my barn.....I can turn them on/off from the house with basestation...but probably uses different frequencies than door openers

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My son in law has a new Chamberlain opener. My wife has homelink in her 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, with the same instructions on setting it up for a rolling code unit. It didn't work with the simple instructions, for older systems, so she tried the additional process and button strokes, and it worked fine. I don't have Homelink on my Rebel to compare at the moment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got a new house, with a new opener, and I've never been able to get the buttons in my truck to link either.
Try using the key code from outside the garage. That's how I had to program mine. You have to unmount it from the wall outside but if it works it is worth the extra couple of mintues.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.