Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel with 5.7 - Liter V8 Hemi MDS VVT E Tourque Engine. It has the rear 3.92 Axle Ratio. How much can I tow with it. I was under the impression it was over 10k LBS, at least that's what I was told when I bought it. I'm having a hard time finding a definite answer. If this can't tow my 7700k dry camper I'm screwed. Anyone have any answers?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't own a 2019, but rams charts for V8 and 3.92 gears show at least 11,120lbs as the max. Trailer weight and as much as 12,250 depending on body style, other options etc. I think you'll be fine with any trailer under 11,000 lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up my 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel with 5.7 - Liter V8 Hemi MDS VVT E Tourque Engine. It has the rear 3.92 Axle Ratio. How much can I tow with it. I was under the impression it was over 10k LBS, at least that's what I was told when I bought it. I'm having a hard time finding a definite answer. If this can't tow my 7700k dry camper I'm screwed. Anyone have any answers?
I've got a 2017 Ram Rebel crew cab 4x4 and according to the book I got it has a towing capability of 10120lbs. I also have a 35'keystone "Springdale" camper with two slides, and it pulls it like it's not even there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 2017 Ram Rebel crew cab 4x4 and according to the book I got it has a towing capability of 10120lbs. I also have a 35'keystone "Springdale" camper with two slides, and it pulls it like it's not even there.
BTW my Springdale wt is 8238lbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Be aware that the trailer tow rating will not be the limiting number for towing with a Rebel. I towed a 6500# TT with my 2018 Rebel, and was over the GVWR by 400 # and maxed out the rear axle at the GAWR. The axle ratings and Gross Weight of the truck will be exceeded far before you get to the rated tow rating.

I know the 2019s have a higher gross rating, but most TTs will have 12 - 15% of the trailer weight on the tongue. A 10,000# TT will have near 1500# on the tongue which leaves little to nothing left for items like passengers, fuel, trailer hitch, etc as payload in the truck. There are ways to reduce tongue wt, but you need at least 10% to keep the trailer in line behind the truck and not trying to pull you off the road.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Be aware that the trailer tow rating will not be the limiting number for towing with a Rebel. I towed a 6500# TT with my 2018 Rebel, and was over the GVWR by 400 # and maxed out the rear axle at the GAWR. The axle ratings and Gross Weight of the truck will be exceeded far before you get to the rated tow rating.

I know the 2019s have a higher gross rating, but most TTs will have 12 - 15% of the trailer weight on the tongue. A 10,000# TT will have near 1500# on the tongue which leaves little to nothing left for items like passengers, fuel, trailer hitch, etc as payload in the truck. There are ways to reduce tongue wt, but you need at least 10% to keep the trailer in line behind the truck and not trying to pull you off the road.
Exactly. I see lots of scary stories of people towing. Power is rarely ever a problem. Just because you have the power to move it, doesn’t mean it’s safe. Do some research on payload and hitch loading. The weight of your trailer is just a small part of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The yellow sticker on the door jam gives the payload and tow ratings for how your rebel is configured--all rebels are not all the same. Problem is, no one likes the payload number for the rebel because it's so low. As hutchman noted, throw in a few passengers, hook up a medium size TT and it's very easy to go over the payload rating. Mine is a whopping 945 lbs.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I tend to make the decision on how much I can haul or tow based on what I can stop. The stock tires go a lot easier than they stop. When you add weight it gets worse. Now this is one old red necks opinion.
Big Red

·
Registered
2 Posts
I added 5000lb air bags and now can carry my 11k lb camper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts