Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can a person set up their wiring so their fog lights stay on either in high or low beam?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Redo your switch wiring (if you're asking as far as how to do the switches, idk, I'm not an Electrical Engineer)... running both at the same time is technically illegal if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking more for off-road applications just to have more light, not on highways.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On my previous two cars there was a fog light relay kit we had to install. Involved tapping into working behind the fuse panel. I'll see if the schematic is still on that forum and if I can figure this one out. I'd like to do the same on my rebel.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
A few states have laws against running *extra* fog lights or off-road lights while your high beams are on. There are no laws against running the standard factory installed lights in this manner. At least, not that I know of.

·
Registered
952 Posts
My fog lights stay on in DRL, low beam, and, high beam.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A few states have laws against running *extra* fog lights or off-road lights while your high beams are on. There are no laws against running the standard factory installed lights in this manner. At least, not that I know of.
There is a prohibition against this, that's why the manufacturer has built it this way. hate to sound like a smart ass.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Don't know what "prohibition" you're talking about. The federal rules only state you can't have more than 4 lights on at once on the road. There are some states with their own statutes against having fogs and high beams on at the same time. There are also a lot of states that prohibit running fogs and low beams except in foggy conditions. And some states tend to just reference the NHTSA rules. Those are the guidelines that prevent use of "extra" or user-added fog (not stock) and off-road lights.

There is some speculation that a lot of the car companies just use a common design for all their vehicles. Some vehicles are made with 4 headlights, the low-beam and high-beam sets. In some of these, turning on the high beams leaves the low beams on, thus it violates NHTSA 4-light rules to allow the fogs to remain on, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I was checking into this lighting set up for my goldwing when I wanted to leave the fog/driving lights on at the same time with the main lights. I was told that if you have a head light fixture that has two bulbs in it, it is considered one light. So I can have the low beams, and high beams on and also have the fog/driving on and this is only four lights. Been going this for 10 years, and have never heen stopping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts