Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out this 2017 Power Wagon and noticed the Winch sticking out of the front bumper. I can't imagine ever needing a winch but it could be cool to install.
2017-Ram-Power-Wagon-1091-876x535.jpg
2017-Ram-Power-Wagon-1081-876x535.jpg

·
Registered
492 Posts
It would be cool. I recently found a little one max weight is 2,000 pounds if I remember correctly. I thought about getting it and installing it just for the hell of it. I didn't know if it was to cheesy though bc it was from harbor freight. I'll try and find it again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 3000lb Warn winch on my 800cc ATV that has struggled in some of the spots I have found myself (or a freind) in, and would think this to be amazingly undersized for pulling anything other than your wifes bushes from the garden...but that is just my humble opinion.
If you're gonna do a winch, it would be because you need, and if that is the case get one appropriate for your weight of vehicle +++ otherwise I think you are wasting money!

Nothing less than 10,000lb would I wish to rely on in the bush for recovery at minimum.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a 3000lb Warn winch on my 800cc ATV that has struggled in some of the spots I have found myself (or a freind) in, and would think this to be amazingly undersized for pulling anything other than your wifes bushes from the garden...but that is just my humble opinion.
If you're gonna do a winch, it would be because you need, and if that is the case get one appropriate for your weight of vehicle +++ otherwise I think you are wasting money!

Nothing less than 10,000lb would I wish to rely on in the bush for recovery at minimum.
I agree with you 100% I figured it was way to light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scratch that I found it!
Do u think this is to small or not strong enough ? 2500 lb. ATV/Utility Electric Winch with Wireless Remote Control
The Idea was to get the winch that fits the Power Wagon. Some times there are bolt holes ready to go. I guess I need to slide under the truck and look into that. Seems like the manufactures try using the same parts for different vehicles. The 2017 power wagon looks a lot like the Rebel. Makes me wonder if they share some of the same parts. I would definitely not want to spend all that time on a winch that is under powered.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Different bumpers though...be great if the bumpers are/were interchangeable

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
A good winch setup would have to be frame-linked or frame-mounted. The bumper is just fascia designed to absorb some impact and crumple. It's not very thick or rigid. Seems that finding a winch to fit behind the bumper on the frame would be the way to go. You'd have to pay attention to the point where the cable spools onto the winch, of course. If you could find such a winch, then you could mod the bumper with a careful cutout and some trim work.

·
Registered
332 Posts
A front winch mount will tie into the frame just like a front receiver hitch would. A plate could be made to fit where the tow hooks mount and bolt through the frame. I'm hoping to fab something to carry a 10k-12k Warn with a fairlead plate and have the cable come out the gap where many have put a LED light. I'm hoping someone comes out with a hidden winch plate like they have for just about any other full size truck.

Example: The F-150 plate I wanted to put on my FX-4.

That 2500 lbs winch is called an ATV winch for a reason. A full size truck should never have anything less than a 10,000 lbs winch for self-extraction. You need a proper electrical system to run it. Too many yahoos buy a 5000 lbs winch and put it on their 4wd full size truck and wonder why their buddy lost their head when the cable snapped. The rule of thumb is at least the GVWR of the vehicle plus 20%. Snatch blocks can double your pulling power but it's best to plan for when you need to pull directly just in case.

I highly recommend if you are interested in having a winch to get training from a local off-road club or at least someone with extraction experience. You can really hurt yourself and others with your ignorance. They are not toys. I used to drive medium and heavy duty tow trucks and have experience extracting everything from small cars to stuck excavators. I seen a couple rear windows get blown out from people not maintaining their equipment properly or doing stupid things. That zing sound is something you never forget. It can literally take your head off.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Having used winches on many military viehicles, IMO anything less than 10,000 lbs would be a waste. I plan to do a custom job shortly.
I plan on using that folding plate cover. Now I just have to attach a winch mount plate behind the skid plate to the frame. It will be custom fit made from a C Chanel prob 8" wide and 1/4" thick I plan on attaching it to the D hooks or somewhere close on the frame. It's going to have to be a custom made piece so the winch will release cable on the same plane as the D rings. And then I can Drop in a winch. Then put a hole for the cable behind the lisence plate. Attach a fairlead to the skid plate and cover it with a folding lisence plate cover. I am thinking of either a Waren or a Superwinch. This is going to be the most custom modifications on my rebel and one of the most costly.

·
Registered
952 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Here is a tip: if you are ever asked to recover a viehicle for someone, tell them that any damage to their viehicle is their responsibilitiy. Say that to them three times. If you can use a smart phone to record it. Also, your own insurance may not cover your own truck pulling someone else out. If at all possible contact your local 4x4 club and ask about getting recovery training. Whenever using a winch place a blanket or designed covering over the line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts