Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I have been reading this forum for about a month now and bought a 2017 Ram Rebel about 3 weeks ago. I promptly installed a K&N CAI on it and went for a 1600+ mile trip (Maryland to Illinois and back). The K&N made it sound awesome but the sound got somewhat annoying going through the mountains.

After searching for a while I found that some others had built custom air boxes to quiet down the K&N. They were using Dynamat on them so I decided to try it on the K&N box and tube -- it made a HUGE difference in the sound. The growl is definitely still there but is much more subdued during normal driving.

Here are a couple photos of my Rebel and the Dynamat mod. The mat is on all sides of the metal box (engine side) and there are a couple of strips on the tube. This is the Dynamat that I used

Attachments

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
agreed, I don't think it will change the sound of the exhaust, usually the open air filter intake makes the intake sound more throaty.

Also, why is it called a CAI? I don't see how or where it's getting its cold air from.( in the picture above) ...looks to me all the air is from the hot engine bay....
On the factory air filter housing it has a snorkel going out of the engine bay....I think that would be more in line with a "cai".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was zero difference in the exhaust sound - I'm talking about sound from the engine compartment. The K&N made a very significant difference in the engine sound because installing it removed the stock airbox and intake sound baffles. This was WAY louder that I expected it to be and there are many discussions of this effect online.

Here is an article from Airaid on Cold Air Intakes that talks about the baffles / restrictions vs sound.

You are correct, the factory intake on the Rebel was a CAI also but had the restrictive sound reducing stuff in it - the K&N kit gets rid of that. I'm not sure it was worth the time/trouble/cost of installation in power/fuel economy but it was fun to do and it does SOUND like it's got a 100 more HP :)

I believe that the term CAI differentiates it from a thermostatic intake system where the mix of warm air from inside the engine compartment and cold air from outside is regulated. Wikipedia has an explanation here

·
Registered
52 Posts
About exhaust sound. I put a magnaflow exhaust system on my truck and now it sounds as good as it looks could be a little bit louder. Think I will bypass the resonators that are right before the exhaust tips. Any thoughts idea if this will work.

And about the KN CAI will that change the sound at all from my truck that I would notice?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 63-1561 will definitely make it louder and is supposed to give about 16 more HP. Not sure that I can tell but K&N published the Dyno test for it. Here is a link to the one I installed.
I did the same and it does sound more throaty over stock..I understand the skepticism. But I've actually done it and it does change the sound through the exhaust. Unknown why. So if you haven't done it you really can't comment on it. friend of mine also has a ram Rebel no CAI and you can definitely hear the difference between the two.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.