Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at replacing the wheels and tires on my rebel. I would like to do a set of the black rhino Mint wheels in a 20x9 with a -12 offset. can anyone tell what the largest tire I could fit with those wheels? I would love to go with 35's but I don't want any issues with them rubbing also Id rather not lift or do the link mod. if I have to end up doing the link mod can anyone tell me will that affect the air suspension when I tow a trailer?
thanks.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
315x70r17s on stock wheel are normally the limit, final size is 12.5x34.5.

Your wheels, at -12 offset, are only 1.2" further out than stock (at centerline) Because they're wider wheels the edges of the wheels stick out an extra .5" from centerline (both sides) but that doesn't really effect tire width where the rubbing would occur. It's the 20" that limits the tire sizes more. To get a 34-34.5" tire in widths up to 12.5", your r20 options are:

285/65 = 34.5 x 11.2
295/60 = 33.9 x 11.6
305/55 = 33.2 x 12.0

A 315x60 would seem to be about perfect but I don't think anyone makes that size. The list above is from sizes I could find on tirerack.com (just commonly made sizes for 20" rims, listed here. Tire Sizes by 20" Wheel Diameter

And you can easily get the dimensions by using this calculator. Tire Size Calculator

·
Registered
3 Posts
So i am in the same predicament. I am looking at 20x10 -18 and looking at doing 35x12.50 and also the link mod. I have found one post some where else that a guy is running stock wheels on 35x12.50s with 2 inch spacers and only had slight rub but trimmed inner fender. Anybody have any input on the setup im looking at doing?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
There's a guy that did it that posted in this forum somewhere. You'll have to search for it. Everyone that has tried 35x12.5 without a lift mod has reported rubbing, to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Im running 20x10 wheels with -24 offset with 35/12.5/20 tires.
You ready for this part?? No laughing now...lol
I originally posted a while back that i did the reverse link mod. I was doing it at my work garage when i was putting on the 37's. A co-worker came in shooting the **** with me and i pulled off all 4 links but some how i ended up putting all 4 back on the way they came off.. lol.
So i drove the truck like that for months thinking i had the link mod done. One day i was under there doing something and i realized that the links were still the way they were from the factory. So this time i switched front to back one side at a time. Put the truck in normal mode and yes she grew. Drove down the rode and stopped in the Cabellas parking lot and changed them back. Terrible ride,
So i do have my iner front wheel wells trimmed and i did hammer back the pinch weld to flatten out that part. Primed and painted that area and the tires do not rub at all in normal mode, full lock to lock is fine..
Bill
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
140 Posts
For sure factory links in there factory spots. I don't know for sure if my truck was in normal mode or offroad mode in that pic. Some days i leave it in normal mode at work and other days i put it in offroad mode when a buddy parks next to me with his GMC.. LOL
I will try to get a few pics later today with it in normal, and offroad mode and a pic of what i did with my inner front fenders and the pinch weld..
Bill

·
Registered
56 Posts

Your wheels, at -12 offset, are only 1/4" further out than stock. Not much difference there.
I know Im quite late to the party on this one but I had to correct this for people who might be doing a search and come across this info...this is totally incorrect. The stock Rebel wheels are 17x8 +18....so going to a -12 with a 9" wide wheel makes the edge of the new wheel stick out roughly 43mm (25.4mm=1") more than stock.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm running 285/55/20...looks good but I wish I had another inch 2" height and 1" width....same as the wife I guess!!!!
Surprised you didnt go with a 305/55/20...thats closer to the stock 33" tire height.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
johnj said:

Your wheels, at -12 offset, are only 1/4" further out than stock. Not much difference there.

I know Im quite late to the party on this one but I had to correct this for people who might be doing a search and come across this info...this is totally incorrect. The stock Rebel wheels are 17x8 +18....so going to a -12 with a 9" wide wheel makes the edge of the new wheel stick out roughly 43mm (25.4mm=1") more than stock.
Yep, you caught me. I had a sign error, figuring from -18 instead of +18. I realized that long after I posted but couldn't edit to correct and forgot about it. I doubt anyone really pays attention, anyway. The trend seems to be for newcomers to just ask the same questions all over again.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Your wheels, at -12 offset, are only 1/4" further out than stock. Not much difference there. It's the 20" that limits the tire sizes more. To get a 34-34.5" tire in widths up to 12.5", your r20 options are:

285/65 = 34.5 x 11.2
295/60 = 33.9 x 11.6
305/55 = 33.2 x 12.0

A 315x60 would seem to be about perfect but I don't think anyone makes that size. The list above is from sizes I could find on tirerack.com (just commonly made sizes for 20" rims, listed here. Tire Sizes by 20" Wheel Diameter

And you can easily get the dimensions by using this calculator. Tire Size Calculator

Great information! Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.