Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, long story short. I'm on my second Rebel, the first did not lean and the 2017 does/did
One to 1.5" lean on the drivers front. The dealer just called and said it is fixed,...after ten days of them going back and fourth with the factory techs.
They told me they had to add shims to correct the lean.
I asked several questions, but the rep lacked real knowledge of how or what the problem was, but they claim it fixed.
I researched the heck out of the Dodge lean issue and never saw any talk of shims.
Does this sound right? Do our trucks all have shims? Maybe factory QA failed to catch a non install?

Input?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Sounds kinda weird that they would add shims. Shim what? I never heard of shimming a unlevel suspension......not that can't...but probably not recommended. Normally a lean to one side means coil spring gone weak or bad leaf spring, but in the air bag setup, it could mean one bag may not be getting enough air? A 1.5 inch lean is significant enough to compromise alignment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, sounds strange, truck only has 3K miles,...I don't think the service rep knew exactly what was being done. He did say alignment being done in the morning,.has to have changed it, the lean was pulling truck to lean side.
I do prefer to drive a truck more than a month before it needs service though. Slight regret I did not go Power Wagon too.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Grill the service tech. For sure, get some answers.....ask them to show you the reference for shimming suspension And when they can't produce....you may be entitled to some free oil changes.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so just before leaving country I took the truck to the original dealership where I bought. I did not want to do the hour or more drive for fear of too much time lost from my R&R,..boy was that a mistake,..I lost 11 days to the dealership closer to home.
The dealership I bought from had the truck fixed in under five hours, they had to completely recalibrate the air suspension, which the 11 day dealership claimed to have tried several time and told me my truck would not accept the recalibration process.

So, ready for this?

The dealership that fixed it in five hours said you must have specific programming rights to access the calibration aspect of our trucks air suspension,...told me THEY only had two techs that were certified to reprogram.

So, something tells me the 11 day POS dealership had no one that was certified to program, and had NO CLUE you had to be certified to program the calibration.

I was tempted to stop on the way home just to let them know just how incompetent they are, but did not want to waste one more minute of my break on them. No one wants to be told they completely suck anyway.

Truck is fixed, that's all that matters,..next time home I can just enjoy it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay, so just before leaving country I took the truck to the original dealership where I bought. I did not want to do the hour or more drive for fear of too much time lost from my R&R,..boy was that a mistake,..I lost 11 days to the dealership closer to home.
The dealership I bought from had the truck fixed in under five hours, they had to completely recalibrate the air suspension, which the 11 day dealership claimed to have tried several time and told me my truck would not accept the recalibration process.

So, ready for this?

The dealership that fixed it in five hours said you must have specific programming rights to access the calibration aspect of our trucks air suspension,...told me THEY only had two techs that were certified to reprogram.

So, something tells me the 11 day POS dealership had no one that was certified to program, and had NO CLUE you had to be certified to program the calibration.

I was tempted to stop on the way home just to let them know just how incompetent they are, but did not want to waste one more minute of my break on them. No one wants to be told they completely suck anyway.

Truck is fixed, that's all that matters,..next time home I can just enjoy it.
Which raises the question, how do we as customers find out who has techs who can complete this repair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Secondly, how far was your truck leaning and was it also towards the drivers side

When they finished how close were they able to get it?
We all are curious about this, Im sure
My truck has been at the dealer three times. It was 4 inches off the first trip in. The second and third trip they said they got it within 1/2" but after receiving it back, it is 1.5" lower on the drivers side. I just emailed them this morning and asked them if their technicians are "Certified" for programming the air suspension and threatened the NC lemon law. This is frustrating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good afternoon,

Recently, I had issues with my Rebel leaning to the left. It was nearly 2" lower than the right. I brought it into dealership to complain, they tried to fix it and had my truck for over three weeks. They called and said it was done, so I picked it up and they told me they got specs from Dodge Engineer and it was "within tolerance" and it was level. So, My next step was emailing the head of FCA, CEO of FCA North America. Needless to say my truck was back in the shop at the request of an Executive referral. This time they sent a factory rep out and found that there are alignment screws or bolts on the front end that if the arrows are not lined up properly will cause the suspension to tweak. So they turned those bolts and lined up the arrows and then did another alignment onsuspension to check camber, wheel alignment etc. I am just leaving dealership, the lean is gone and I will keep you posted on the ride, as it was very unstable driving before. I have seen many talk about this issue, hope it helps!

Brew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.