Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I really want to upgrade my headlights. Has anyone swapped out and put LEDs or HIDs in their Rebel yet?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
So I really want to upgrade my headlights. Has anyone swapped out and put LEDs or HIDs in their Rebel yet?
Not me, but interested too.... I finally broke down earlier this year and upgraded my 09 (just in time to sell it)to LEDs and loved it.

Reactions: Billythekid

·
Registered
108 Posts
I picked up some Philips 9012 LED bulbs with Canbus Decoders from from Auto LED Corp off of facebook. Found this post on ramforumz.com where other ram owners with the projector lights have been using these with sucess: Philips Luxeon LED & Cree MK-R LED - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum
They aren't exactly cheap, around $130 shipped from Canada. I believe you can price out the items seperately and save a little money, but went with this package and seller as they have been proven to work with no flickering, error messages, etc. Have had them installed for about 2 months with no issues yet. You can see from the pictures below that they are brighter than the stock halogen, I mainly wanted them to match the LED fog lights. Going to add a LED light bar in the lower valance soon for additional light output.
(LED on driver's side and stock halogen of passenger's side) Last picture is with LED's on both sides:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I picked up some Philips 9012 LED bulbs with Canbus Decoders from from Auto LED Corp off of facebook. Found this post on ramforumz.com where other ram owners with the projector lights have been using these with sucess: Philips Luxeon LED & Cree MK-R LED - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum
They aren't exactly cheap, around $130 shipped from Canada. I believe you can price out the items seperately and save a little money, but went with this package and seller as they have been proven to work with no flickering, error messages, etc. Have had them installed for about 2 months with no issues yet. You can see from the pictures below that they are brighter than the stock halogen, I mainly wanted them to match the LED fog lights. Going to add a LED light bar in the lower valance soon for additional light output.
(LED on driver's side and stock halogen of passenger's side) Last picture is with LED's on both sides:

GraniteRebel was it a pretty easy install? I want to do this as well. I would like to just match the Fogs as you did

Sent from my JKURX

·
Registered
108 Posts
GraniteRebel was it a pretty easy install? I want to do this as well. I would like to just match the Fogs as you did

Sent from my JKURX
Yeah pretty easy install. Just need to remove the grille to get the headlights out, some people say you can remove the headlights without taking off the grille but its much easier with it off. Then it is plug and play on the LED bulb and decoder and putting it all inside of the housing before you put the dust cap back on. Picture below of it all inside of the Projector housing(there are metal braids on the backside of the LED bulb to help with cooling):

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah pretty easy install. Just need to remove the grille to get the headlights out, some people say you can remove the headlights without taking off the grille but its much easier with it off. Then it is plug and play on the LED bulb and decoder and putting it all inside of the housing before you put the dust cap back on. Picture below of it all inside of the Projector housing(there are metal braids on the backside of the LED bulb to help with cooling):
Nice! Thanks for the picture and the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Forgive me for being stupid, but are there two bulbs for the headlights? One low/one high beam? I have projector lights, but I think my 2010 Ram had two bulbs.

I just upgraded to HID's from XenonDepot on my 2015 Jeep Trailhawk and LOVE them - even though the install wasn't easy given there is NO space under the hood to mount the ballast, etc. There is only one bulb on the projectors on the Jeep, so I just needed to replace the one bulb each side. I also had to add a resistor kit to each side to "trick" the computer into not seeing a bulb out. Same with the LED?

I'm thinking about going LED instead of HID (because I'm lazy and cheap). Are you still happy with the LED's, or should I just suck it up and do the full HID thing?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I thought the bulbs in the projectors were a single bulb. The rebel also has a bulb for the fogs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think it's a single bulb too, but I'm too lazy to take it out to look - since I'll have to take it out to replace it and I don't want to do it twice.

The problem is most places (including XenonDepot) list two low beam and one high beam bulb number, with and without CANbus, and I'm not sure what to order.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think it's a single bulb too, but I'm too lazy to take it out to look - since I'll have to take it out to replace it and I don't want to do it twice.

The problem is most places (including XenonDepot) list two low beam and one high beam bulb number, with and without CANbus, and I'm not sure what to order.
Just call your dealer and ask. Easiest way honestly.

·
Registered
108 Posts

There are two bulbs in the projector headlights, one for the low beams and one for the high beams. I only replaced the low beam bulbs, as I don't use the high beams very much. Will be installing a 22" led light bar behind the bumper this weekend for some additional lighting.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
There are two bulbs in the projector headlights, one for the low beams and one for the high beams. I only replaced the low beam bulbs, as I don't use the high beams very much. Will be installing a 22" led light bar behind the bumper this weekend for some additional lighting.
@GraniteRebel. Thanks for the info. So you know what the bulb numbers are?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
For the past several months, everyone has reported for the projector headlights that the low beam is a 9012 / HIR2LL, and the high beam is a 9005. Are you sure you have the projectors, and if so, when was your truck made?

·
Registered
426 Posts
For the past several months, everyone has reported for the projector headlights that the low beam is a 9012 / HIR2LL, and the high beam is a 9005. Are you sure you have the projectors, and if so, when was your truck made?
Meant to put 9012. And an HIR2LL would work if you cant get an HIR2LL the LL just stands for long life.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
@johnj thanks for clarifying

·
Registered
108 Posts
A 9006 series bulb will work on the low beams as well, but you have to file about an 1/8" off of one of the tabs so that it will fit. My buddy has them on his 14' Ram w/Projectors as they are slightly cheaper/easier to find than the 9012/HIR2 bulbs. But as stated above the 9012/HIR2LL is the correct bulbs for the low beams.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Meant to put 9012. And an HIR2LL would work if you cant get an HIR2LL the LL just stands for long life.
Yeah, but if you're going to do a replacement with another HIR2, I'd highly recommend using the LL because the headlight's such a PITA to get into and change.

1 - 20 of 405 Posts