Ram Rebel Forum banner

381 - 400 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have to remove the grill. Undo the two headlight bolts. Then go under front tire fender well and remove the little access cap and push the white lever upwards to unlock the headlamp. Then there's a ball joint connecting the headlamp so you just give it a firm tug. The led kit comes with capacitors which get rid of error messages and flicker. So someone who knows what they doing it takes about 20-30 minutes. Plug n play.

I just purchased the FluxBeam X and the kit came with the TIPM resistors. Did you receive these and if so where did you mount them? If you didn't were you able to mount with no flickering? I also noticed in the instructions that they call for either a predrilled dust cover or a single 4.5 cm hole into the dust cover for air flow. They state the FluxBeam LED heatsink requires open air flow to prevent early burnout. I have not seen anyone mention that they did any of these steps (TIPM or Ventilation hole).

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just want to thank emergency_ram12 and Barnstormer for your informative and well-documented posts. I've read the entire 37 pages as well as read other forums and watched youtube videos by several manufacturers. I haven't seen a "so obvious a caveman gets it" summary, so I'll give it a try.

The projector headlight lens on the low-beam is very incompatible with the LED bulb systems on the market; therefore, the biggest light improvement for low-beams will be with HIDs. LED patterns will be diffused (odd shaped, spotty, and poor throw) through the projector lens. In spite of the much greater light output HIDs will not blind other drivers as long as your lights are adjusted appropriately.

The High-beam side of the headlight uses a reflector with no lens, and thus, the LED bulbs which aim their emitters to the side-rear are optimal for maximizing the utilization of the mirror surfaces. They may need to be moved in/out or rotated to maximize their throw by optimizing their interaction with the mirrored reflector, so look for bulbs with that capability. HIDs are disadvantaged in the hi-beam side also, because they take a few seconds to warm up, and with the on-and-off nature of the use of high-beams, LED's instant output works better.

Finally, while their may be several plug-and-play options for lights, most are not ideal for light output, and sometimes they just don't work or don't work right (flicker, don't come on at first try). Therefore, a kit which has a means to interface with the CAN-bus system is at least better, if not an outright necessity.

So, buy HID low-beam and LED high-beam, and a harness for the CAN-bus.
Hands down the best advice given about this topic. PERIOD
Thank you for writing this, as now all of it makes sense. I also follow the general rule of you get what you pay for

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hands down the best advice given about this topic. PERIOD
Thank you for writing this, as now all of it makes sense. I also follow the general rule of you get what you pay for
Thanks brother! As a follow-up, I'll add that I used the kit from the Auto LED company with HID lows and LED high beams, and I am extremely happy. Installed just as expected and runs fantastic. Support for the one question I had (on a Sunday, via facebook message no less) was great, with an answer within a couple hours. The highbeams are so bright, I'm skipping putting a forward facing off-road lightbar. I also bought the LED back-up lightbulbs (plug and play), and it's nearly like having rear-facing headlights when I put it in reverse now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anybody ever run Retroshop HID kit? The use Morimoto ballasts and are excellent. I've run them in my 2012 and 2014 without issue. The 50w is insanely bright and concentrated. The pics of the LED options here seem to be scattered at best and don't have the same distance as HID'S.

Thank you! I think I am going to pick a pair up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you tried wiring a LED light bar to the high beams? I did it and my high beams light up the road like daylight. Its very easy to do, I use a curved 20" light bar mounted on the grill centered below the RAM emblem. I can show pics if interested. I also have 55w 6500k Morimoto Elite RAM 2015+ HID kit installed for low beams. I'm installing the 9005 kit for the high beams as they throw light farther than LEDs.

I would love to see the pics if you have them.

·
Registered
969 Posts
My LEDs are still working great!

·
Registered
969 Posts
OPT7

·
Registered
20 Posts
I read through this entire thread last night waiting for Game of Thrones to start. Good read, I'm curious since this started in 2016 if now in 2019 anyone has had better luck with LED headlights. I just got a used 2017 and hate the headlights. I have never installed HIDs but probably could just would prefer the plug and play option.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m getting these from wisedetailz on IG

HID projector retrofit with new 5.5k hid bulbs, ballasts, ignitors and relay harness. switchback halos and c bar with switchback lower drl boards (all of this lights up white while driving and blinks amber when you apply your turn signal). They also have clear corners, rgb color changing demon eyes with bluetooth controller, and etched dodge ram projector lenses with ceramic coated outer headlight lenses.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Those look real nice. I've followed lightwerkz for years and they make custom ram headlights too but I think I like yours better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’m leaning towards HID. LED gets really hot inside the housing. Since I’m going to make a hole on the back of the housing might as well get the better light. My friend has opt7 bulbs and this is what happened to him when running them inside the housing.

Note: It’s the capacitors that get really. But you need them on our trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Andy I started following wizedetailz and im pretty sure they just posted your headlights! They look amazing. Once you get them please share what you think. Im curious how well they're put together and night output photos. That shop is 2 hours from me so thinking about getting them also

·
Registered
23 Posts
Andy I started following wizedetailz and im pretty sure they just posted your headlights! They look amazing. Once you get them please share what you think. Im curious how well they're put together and night output photos. That shop is 2 hours from me so thinking about getting them also
Yesssir and it’s “wisedetailz” on IG. 1650$ shipped. Aaron is a super rad dude. Quick too... also did the recon 264236BK tail lights. changed license plate light to LEDs as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After a lot of research and reading through tons of threads, I ended up Going with headlight revolution HID lows and LED highs. Made an enormous difference and now it's all uniform color.

Love this mod!

Attachments

381 - 400 of 404 Posts