Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my favorite features of my Rebel is the air suspension. The ride is great! I love how it feels like i'm floating down the highway in Aero mode. Speed bumps, potholes and curbs are absorbed by the suspension in Normal mode much better than the trucks i've owned.

I have leveled three of my previous trucks and last night I installed new leveling links from CFT performance on my 2018 Rebel. I adjusted them so that all four corners were within 1/2". It looked good, but the ride was terrible. I felt every bump in Normal mode and Off-road mode was bone-jarring. Aero mode was like the old Off-road mode. I changed back to the stock links and just a heads up, CFT performance does not give refunds.

I'm sure plenty of you don't mind the ride quality, it's just not for me. I wish I had a better idea what to expect before I installed the links.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One of my favorite features of my Rebel is the air suspension. The ride is great! I love how it feels like i'm floating down the highway in Aero mode. Speed bumps, potholes and curbs are absorbed by the suspension in Normal mode much better than the trucks i've owned.

I have leveled three of my previous trucks and last night I installed new leveling links from CFT performance on my 2018 Rebel. I adjusted them so that all four corners were within 1/2". It looked good, but the ride was terrible. I felt every bump in Normal mode and Off-road mode was bone-jarring. Aero mode was like the old Off-road mode. I changed back to the stock links and just a heads up, CFT performance does not give refunds.

I'm sure plenty of you don't mind the ride quality, it's just not for me. I wish I had a better idea what to expect before I installed the links.
not to sound like an asshole, but if you did your research before you bought the links you would have known that was to
be expected. wherever i ride that i know there will be lots of bumps i put it in AERO. everywhere else NORMAL. that to me
is a temporary solution until i can save for the BDS lift kit which levels out the truck nicely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not to sound like an asshole, but if you did your research before you bought the links you would have known that was to
be expected. wherever i ride that i know there will be lots of bumps i put it in AERO. everywhere else NORMAL. that to me
is a temporary solution until i can save for the BDS lift kit which levels out the truck nicely.

I did as much research as possible. Nobody said anything about having to drive around In Aero mode to make it bearable on bumps.

The BDS lift voids the warranty so it’s not an option for me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It would seem to be obvious. In order to raise the front to level the truck it would take more air pressure so thereby give you a slightly stiffer ride. Now if you were to lower the rear to do your leveling you would retain the factory ride but be level.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did as much research as possible. Nobody said anything about having to drive around In Aero mode to make it bearable on bumps.

The BDS lift voids the warranty so it’s not an option for me.
well by knowing that the front will pump more air to lift the front and restricting travel it will be stiff. i knew because of that if i wanted
a little more dampening i would need to lower it to AERO. not perfect but im willing to do deal with the stiffness for now.
yea im well over the warranty period so not a problem for me. but if you want to do it right, the BDS or AEV kits are the way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The purpose of this thread is to describe my personal experience in detail so others can avoid the same situation. There’s no way to really understand the change in ride quality unless you feel it yourself. Reading that the ride gets stiffer doesn’t really sum it up. I’ve had a dozen lifted and leveled vehicles with stiff rides, but the stiffness was not as severe with traditional suspensions. The details of the road surface are transferred more efficiently through the air suspension. I could feel it in my joints when I hit a pothole.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The reason lifting coil spring rigs doesnt get stiffer isbecause they use srings of the same rate,just taller. With bags you are making them extend farther which changes the effective spring rate. It is a problem with pretty much all bagged suspensions. No real way to change ride eight without changing spring rate.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Many have run a leveling spacer in conjunction with the adjustable links in order to maintain near factory ride quality while lifting the air ride 2”. The leveling kit will say it’s not compatible with air ride, but they bolt in place on top of the air bag just fine.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
As a simple rule, there is always a trade off with any suspension or engine mod.
From the factory, any vehicle, is designed to give you optimal ride comfort. Deviation from this, will either add or remove ride compatibility. Truck looks great leveled but rides terrible, or truck looks like a wedge but rides comfortably....pick which options you want and remember the trade off.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Your experience brings something to mind. Did you modify the link length by 1/2”? If so, that equates to lifting the truck 2-3”, which would put the bags at max pressure. About 0.2” of link change moves the actual truck 3/4” to 1”.
In other words, if you lift the truck 1/2”, normal can’t be rougher than off-road used to be since the truck is still not at that height.

Good luck and also take a look at various threads about using spacers in conjunction with the links to keep bag inflation consistent at a higher ride height. Hope this helps

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don't sell the links, just yet. I added the daystar spacers (made my own static links) and so far I'm very happy with it. You're looking at ~ $200 +alignment for the parts and have a shop do it or $120 for the parts + alignment and a bit of cussing. My ride is still very good (very near OEM) in all modes and that is even with it loaded (maybe) over payload recommendations. On road and off, it's been worth the money.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I did the Aftermarket Daystar leveling kit & Revel Performance Adjustable Air Leveling Links you can level and adjust the height (hence adjust the "stiffness") best of both worlds to get where you would like to be. No complaints on my side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did the Aftermarket Daystar leveling kit & Revel Performance Adjustable Air Leveling Links you can level and adjust the height (hence adjust the "stiffness") best of both worlds to get where you would like to be. No complaints on my side.
I've been interested in doing the Daystar leveling spacer as well, but am not clear on the exact height of the leveling links. I don't want to add the Daystar spacer, but install links designed for leveling w/out the spacer. What is the correct length of the adjustable leveling links when using the Daystar leveling spacer also?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been interested in doing the Daystar leveling spacer as well, but am not clear on the exact height of the leveling links. I don't want to add the Daystar spacer, but install links designed for leveling w/out the spacer. What is the correct length of the adjustable leveling links when using the Daystar leveling spacer also?
I set the fronts at 2” and the backs at 3 1/2” but that’s because I wanted an extra 1” of lift. That’s the good thing about the adjustable ones. You can set it wherever you like, with in the limits of the air bag of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the links on my Rebel and I do keep it in normal most of the time. When I have an extra $10k I'll get the BDS 4" lift, 37s, and 20" wheels. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts