Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first oil change at the dealership I bought the RAM at a little over a month ago at 4700 miles. I'm now at 9300 miles and today I noticed the car leaking oil pretty bad. I crawled underneath and noticed it was coming from the passenger front side of the engine area.

Luckily, putting it in OFF ROAD mode makes it easy to get under the engine and inspect things. I found the oil filter is directly above the components that were drenched in oil and dripping to the ground. I put some grippy gloves on and was able to hand tighten the oil filter about a full turn.

Now, I'm assuming the oil leak was caused by this loose oil filter so I think I'm in the clear. But the weird thing is it started doing this today, more than 4500 miles after the oil change. Heat/Cool cycles can loosen things but I have to assume the tech that did the oil change didn't tighten the filter enough and it finally worked its way loose enough that oil started leaking......

Anyone else have anything like this happen? Same thing happened to my 2009 Pontiac G8 GT about 4 years ago after the only dealership oil change it ever had. I do all my oil changes now, but thought I would have the dealership do the RAM since its brand new but perhaps I'll be doing my own oil changes on this rig from now on too....

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Never taken any of my vehicles to the dealer for an oil change, heard too many horrible stories and to me it's not worth the supposed cost or labor savings that the dealer has or offers. I think once when I purchased a ford it came with 3 oil changes I think... I brought my jack and when they finished I jacked the car up in their parking lot, checked plug and oil filer before leaving--- and the oil level. I'm funny that way.

I use mobile 1 or royal purple depending on the sale, with k&n filter or mobile 1. Can't complain about the cost and since I know it's done right, I'm golden

Btw, I still have my gt/g8. All maintenance done by me and pushing 70k miles on her. Love that car.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Noticed that my local dodge dealer has some real looking hoodlems working on the maintenance floor. Tattoos on their faces, long hair, dirty clothes/uniforms....crappie harbor freight tools....geez. And those guys are suppose to fix my vehicle???

I wonder if the dealership would switch their salesmen with the mechanics and see if truck sales are on track after a month or two....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Noticed that my local dodge dealer has some real looking hoodlems working on the maintenance floor. Tattoos on their faces, long hair, dirty clothes/uniforms....crappie harbor freight tools....geez. And those guys are suppose to fix my vehicle???

I wonder if the dealership would switch their salesmen with the mechanics and see if truck sales are on track after a month or two....

Stereotype much? I can somewhat understand the lower quality tool complaint but the rest is a bit much in today's society.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Oh. That. Yeah. They looked the part. If they were going for the clean cut I working towards their masters they sure had me fooled.

I'm sure they all mean well and put in a good days work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.