Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this past weekend i was in las vegas testing an off road truck with a rally driver and he was on the dirt next to the highway i was chasing him on the asphalt through some turns and on and off the brakes 100 mph to 20 mph multiple times for about 10 minutes and boiled the brake fluid and lost all braking so it took a while to cool off and now every thing is ok again the rotors were purple from heat need to find better calipers and fluid all ready replaced the pads and rotors with drilled and slotted any thoughts ?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
So, first thing, your selection of rotors (crossed drilled and slotted) is not the best for the driving condition you type of. The crossed drilled holes will crack due to the extreme heat/braking cycle. I dont recomment them for normal street use for the same reason, they are pretty much only good for show and paperweight. However, if you have the $10k set designed for super sports cars as that is the only exception. Get yourself some heavy duty rotors desiged for excessive heat handling capabilities with matching pads and you should be good to go.

Second. Flush your brake lines of that crappy factory fluid and replace with castrol racing brake fluid. This will prevent boiling and loss of pedal.
Third.. replace your brake lines with braided stainless. Do this prior to adding the castrol racing brake fluid.

Finally, the factory two piston front calipers are sufficient in heat transfer and stopping power. The right brake pad with right brake fluid will make a huge differance alone.

Side note, you may want to replace your brake proportioning vavle with something more adjustable so that maybe your rear brakes are engaging quicker or 50/50 front/rear to keep the brake temps down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do agree with brake fluid but the rotors are not drilled but grooved and dimpled not drilled so should retain strength for the proportioning valve both rotors front and rear were very over heated not very out of balance i could be wrong as i am quite a bit however I think brake fluid is the best fix

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
So after re-reading your post I've come to the conclusion that your crazy. 100mph in a 7k pound truck???!! Competing against a rally driver. And you're worried about your brakes? Up against a rally driver? He's in a dirt road, probably private road, and you're on a highway....and you're worried about your brakes.

Buy a wrx. That will solve your brake problems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we had some sponsers from Liqi Moli and wanted to get some video of the truck so i agreed to follow the race truck on the asphalt with them filming dont see the problem sorry to get you so up set have a nice week end

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.