Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying a Rebel and am currently narrowing it down to whether buying a brand new 2019 vs a used 2017 with low miles is worth it.

2019: $50,000 out the door
2017 with 16k miles: $38,000 out the door

I've tried to do some digging on the differences between the 2017 and the 2019. The drivetrain looks to be identical, with the exception of some 2019 models having the eTorque. Are there any other big differences? The styling changed a lot in 2019 but not as much with the Rebel.

Looking for some input on whether it's worth the extra $12,000 to go for a new one or not?

Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Rear axle locking and you have the option between air ride or a factory 1 inch lift I believe and I think the 2019s come with duratracs instead of the toyo open country tires, so depending whether if you live in a colder climate or not I'd go with the 2019 to save yourself the headaches of winter with the air ride

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the south, so the cold is not much of an issue here. Are there any other big reasons why the 2019 is worth it over the 2017?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well firstly I meant rear diff locking dont know what I was thinking secondly depends the interiors are nicer in the 2019s bigger screen more plugins i believe in the front and in the crew cabs I believe theres an extra 2 inches of space back there with semi reclining seats but nothing else really off the top of my head

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
@car show in DC convention center. Here on business but thought i peek and compare. Love that 110 outlet in cargo. I'll probably modify mine with a true 2k inverter off the battery. Maybe add solar on the bed cover and second battery. The Chevys with the 3 step tailgate is very nice as well, and too boot the Chevys have a kicker system built in their tail gate for those who need that.... great option if you ask me. These manufactures are really stepping up their A game.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I'm in the process of buying a Rebel and am currently narrowing it down to whether buying a brand new 2019 vs a used 2017 with low miles is worth it.

I've tried to do some digging on the differences between the 2017 and the 2019. The drivetrain looks to be identical, with the exception of some 2019 models having the eTorque. Are there any other big differences? The styling changed a lot in 2019 but not as much with the Rebel.

Looking for some input on whether it's worth the extra $12,000 to go for a new one or not?

Thanks!
It's a no brainers, buy the used with low milage. If you buy the new truck, you'll take 15k loss soon as you drive off the lot and the ink isn't even dry on paperwork. The 2017s are very nice and well equipped . Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
248 Posts
@car show in DC convention center. Here on business but thought i peek and compare. Love that 110 outlet in cargo. I'll probably modify mine with a true 2k inverter off the battery. Maybe add solar on the bed cover and second battery. The Chevys with the 3 step tailgate is very nice as well, and too boot the Chevys have a kicker system built in their tail gate for those who need that.... great option if you ask me. These manufactures are really stepping up their A game.
You've got way too much money bud

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wound up going with a 2019. I got the dealer down a good bit more and after test driving it and comparing it to other trucks there really was just no competition. It is such a smooth driving truck, and it just looks bad ass!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I wound up going with a 2019. I got the dealer down a good bit more and after test driving it and comparing it to other trucks there really was just no competition. It is such a smooth driving truck, and it just looks bad ass!
Good job and congrats.... it was the 110v outlet in cargo compartment that got you. I knew it would.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Thanks!
Bought my 2016 with 35k miles for 30k. Runs great, looks good. The 2019 rebels in my opinion dont offer enough for me to spend an extra 20k. I live in the south so stock rebel is plenty of truck. Really love the air suspension. Just wish it had LED headlights but it was a sacrifice i made to not spend more than i wanted to spend.

·
Registered
228 Posts
For me is comes down to payload. There are times I love the LSD and other times a rear locker would be better. On my 2017, I only have 1100 lbs of payload which is about 500 less than would be ideal in my situation.
1. do you need the extra payload - trailer tongue weight, passengers and gear.
2. Air suspension or not
3. can you stomach that red trim they force on you on the 2019
4. do you want the etorque

one of the above 4 is a deal killer for me.

On your 2019, which bed/cab did you get and what's your yellow payload sticker say? I'm assuming no sun roof, leather or rambox.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bought my 2016 with 35k miles for 30k. Runs great, looks good. The 2019 rebels in my opinion dont offer enough for me to spend an extra 20k. I live in the south so stock rebel is plenty of truck. Really love the air suspension. Just wish it had LED headlights but it was a sacrifice i made to not spend more than i wanted to spend.
I got the crew cab 5'7 bed. I specifically did not want a sunroof or air suspension, but also opted against the rambox. It doesn't have the leather. It does have the etorque, and the payload sticker says 1780lb. I wound up getting it for 48k OTD, so I was really happy with that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't even fathom what I could do with the extra 670 lbs of payload "legally" at this point, probably take another bottle of bourbon. Yeah, can't really argue with that price. Plus, $2000 will buy a lot of sharpie to cover up that red trim.
Haha, I actually kind of like the red trim on the 2019. The used ones I looked at had much brighter red trim which I did not like, but now it's more of a rust color or something, so I like it.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I like everything about mine, full package. I only used the sun roof line 2x ...and back window thing thingy like 5x, towed 1x ...and um, what else... oh yeah, i haul my fat ass daily and love every minute of it. :):confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts