Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Last week I purchased a 2009 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi and am happy with my purchase but I have a rim problem that I would like to discuss. My rims are the 17" (5 bolt) alloys.
The truck had new tires (P rated) and I knew I would have to get a set of LT tires anyways. I noticed one tire was losing pressure, it would be down to about 20 psi from 32 after a couple weeks. I figured it was because the tire wasn't fitted on the rim correctly or it had a hole or it was because it wasn't an LT tire and wasn't suitable. So i got a good set of LT tires put on and the new tire on the same rim was losing pressure at the same rate as well. That pretty much narrows it down to the rim being the problem I assume.
Is there a way of fixing the rim somehow or is it in my best interest to get a new rim? Thanks for reading and I appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi there,
Last week I purchased a 2009 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi and am happy with my purchase but I have a rim problem that I would like to discuss. My rims are the 17" (5 bolt) alloys.
The truck had new tires (P rated) and I knew I would have to get a set of LT tires anyways. I noticed one tire was losing pressure, it would be down to about 20 psi from 32 after a couple weeks. I figured it was because the tire wasn't fitted on the rim correctly or it had a hole or it was because it wasn't an LT tire and wasn't suitable. So i got a good set of LT tires put on and the new tire on the same rim was losing pressure at the same rate as well. That pretty much narrows it down to the rim being the problem I assume.
Is there a way of fixing the rim somehow or is it in my best interest to get a new rim? Thanks for reading and I appreciate any feedback.
So you know for a fact after they pulled all 4 rims off, removed the tires and installed new tires and reinstalled on the truck all the wheels went back in the same spot?
Seems unlikely but at the same time it seems unlikely the new tire would have a hole/leak already. Did you have them replace valve stems and or TPMS? I'd like to say it was bad valve stem or sensor, but for it to go back in the same location is slim and none. If it is true, I'd check your valve stem 1st. I doubt you have corrosion already on that rim. Not to say I am not wrong.... But my guess is valve stem. Mix Lil soap and water and spray around there.... I'd be curious what u find

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
First thing you need to do is check and make sure the valve stem is not leaking. If that is good, ask around at your dealership or local repair shops about getting someone to check the rim and make sure it is true. There are places that can check to make sure the rim is round and doesn't have a ding in it, they can straighten it out if it does.
A slow leak like you are talking about could only be a bad valve stem (TPMS Sensor) or the rim has a slight ding in it that you wouldn't notice visually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts