Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm reaching out to a (somewhat) local guy to see if he is interested in making/"mass" producing the below:
Winch mount -
Using OEM bumper,
create winch mount capable of carrying 12.5K winches (at the very least a SuperWinch Talon 12.5i)
keeping it as light as reasonable but still be able to use it.

Rock Sliders -
2x3 or 2x4
L or C brace sandwich frame mounts
DOM rail/step with kickout.
Under 100 lbs each if possible

Overland/Adventure rack -
Aluminum tube construction angle fitted to our trucks,
1 inch reduced height from our cab
Leitner box capable (yes even at $250)
non/minimal drilling installation
removable front shelf/drawer
900+ lb static capacity
under 100 pounds
multiple mount tab locations
removable cargo bars
Canvas Topper with removable zip panels

I'll let you guys know how it comes along and if he's interested in creating bolt-on kits for these. I'll make my Rebel available for him when needed for test fits, trials, etc.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I made a transmission skid plate because none existed. Many members asked if I’d make one for them. I cannot because at my age, I value my free time. This may be an easy to make money maker for your contact.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made a transmission skid plate because none existed. Many members asked if I’d make one for them. I cannot because at my age, I value my free time. This may be an easy to make money maker for your contact.
Yeah, That's the thing with him. He isn't trying to make money doing his thing so I'm not sure if he would be up for doing the stuff for the Rebels

·
Registered
265 Posts
Your post sounded like he was up for building rebel components. Maybe I misread it.

Reactions: USAF2017

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"I'm reaching out to a (somewhat) local guy to see if he is interested in making/"mass" producing the below"
Nope, just trying to see if he'll be up for it. He's damn good with roll bars, chassis, etc. and fantastic welding. I just need to figure out a way to inspire him to branch out to "other" parts that don't include hotrods or Fords only.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I won't hold my breath then since you haven't asked him yet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm reaching out to a (somewhat) local guy to see if he is interested in making/"mass" producing the below:

Winch mount - Using OEM bumper...

Rock Sliders...

Overland/Adventure rack...
I'm definitely interested in the hitch mount for the OE bumper... I'm not aware of any other options out there, so this would be really great!

Rock sliders and expedition rack would be cool too - although there are already a few options out there... I haven't looked into sliders yet, but I've actually been working with someone to build a great bed rack that's compatible with our 5'7" beds, and work with Ramboxes.

Along with the winch mount, this is very high on my wish list too - again, because I'm not aware of any existing options (I'm one of the members who asked sportcoupe to make one... : )

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah, he said he would do mine as a favor but not interested overall. Back to the search.
If you or he could document the specs, perhaps I and others could use it as a template.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If you or he could document the specs, perhaps I and others could use it as a template.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Agreed, get the specs, my boat mechanic has a real nice machine shop, I've seen him build some amazing stuff from stock.

·
Registered
181 Posts
@Yeti @DVC
I spoke with the owner of RCI Metalworks, a local fabricator for Toyota off road goods, on Friday. He makes a bed rack for Tundra’s and F150’s, so I asked him if he could make one for my Ram or if one of the others would fit. He told me the problem with Rams is the bed is wider at the front and tapers toward the tailgate (inside rails). He is working on a rack that has adjustable (side to side) cross bars and he thinks it would work. It’s a prototype at the moment, but he has one completed and told me to swing by the shop for a test fit. I just have to find the time to do that.

Here’s a pic of the RCI rack...
852366DD-A731-4BCF-BE5D-B993A1CAB1A6.jpeg

I also asked if he could make me a set of sliders and he wasn’t too interested, but told me when I swing by to check out the rack he would take a look. I’ll keep you guys updated...

·
Registered
337 Posts
@Yeti @DVC
I spoke with the owner of RCI Metalworks, a local fabricator for Toyota off road goods, on Friday. He makes a bed rack for Tundra’s and F150’s, so I asked him if he could make one for my Ram or if one of the others would fit. He told me the problem with Rams is the bed is wider at the front and tapers toward the tailgate (inside rails). He is working on a rack that has adjustable (side to side) cross bars and he thinks it would work. It’s a prototype at the moment, but he has one completed and told me to swing by the shop for a test fit. I just have to find the time to do that.

View attachment 22417

I also asked if he could make me a set of sliders and he wasn’t too interested, but told me when I swing by to check out the rack he would take a look. I’ll keep you guys updated...
Thanks - any interest in making a winch mount for the OEM front bumper, or a transmission skid plate?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know of another fabricator in Denver that is more inclined to do custom work. He is the one that already agreed to make me a set of sliders. Problem is it’s hard enough to get over to a shop in town, let alone get down to Denver to leave my truck for who knows how long. Also, keep in mind, I came from the Toyota world and these guys focus in that realm. A lot of aftermarket support for that platform (4Runners, Tacomas, FJ’s and Land Cruisers), because if you off-road in Colorado most do it in a Toyota or Jeep.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Yeti @DVC

View attachment 22417

I've been a bit busy, too. I spoke with a guy that is not only interested in making the sliders and winch mount but would be interested in making a jig to manufacture them. I'm going to meet with him, Monday and spend some time at his shop while he gets measurements.

The sliders shipping will still be an issue though. That said, @NoCo , I'll be driving through Denver in June if this all works out and you want to wait that long. Sorry, Jersey boys, I have absolutely no intention on going anywhere near that part of the East coast... ever again.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've been a bit busy, too. I spoke with a guy that is not only interested in making the sliders and winch mount but would be interested in making a jig to manufacture them. I'm going to meet with him, Monday and spend some time at his shop while he gets measurements.

The sliders shipping will still be an issue though. That said, @NoCo , I'll be driving through Denver in June if this all works out and you want to wait that long. Sorry, Jersey boys, I have absolutely no intention on going anywhere near that part of the East coast... ever again.
Thanks - it would be awesome if the winch mount becomes a reality!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi all. I figured it was time to update the thread with where I'm at. With Ram updating their cargo/payload capacity for the Rebel to 1210 pounds, most of my plans are out like bad smelling trash. As it stands, I can't legally tow my 7700 pound travel trailer with a full tank of gas if I'm in the truck. for those of you who are not in the same position (read weight) as I am (and especially if you're looking for a 2017 Ram Rebel with 4K miles on it) here is what I came up with:
Hidden winch mount $? - Vice designs is finishing up their bolt-on winch mount. it will accept up to a Talon 12.5i and with synthetic rope and good hawse fairlead your total weight is only ~73 pounds
Sliders $1100 - White Knuckle is the only place to go for the rock sliders ~220 pounds for the pair
Bed Rack $2400 - I was going to go with the Leitner Designs ACS with an add-on platform/box for carrying my onboard air and a LP tank. ~117 pounds with 1 box, 4 (empty) rotopax (10 gallons total) and 2 maxtrax

So unless anyone has any ideas on how to drop weight from my Rebel (I need 250 pounds minimum), I'll be selling the Rebel and moving on to a different manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts