Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any pics of their Rebel outfitted for off-road camping/overlanding (bed racks/caps w/ roof top tents, etc.)?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm still trying to find a good rack that I can mount a tent to but also work with a bed cover.

I also have a Jeep Wrangler, so I should concentrate on building it out more than the truck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KB VoodDoo makes a nice rack that you can mount a RTT to, as well as other accessories, and it works with a bed cover; however, the tallest model is only 18" tall, which puts the rack right at halfway up the back window...blocking your rear view.

I emailed the company over the weekend, but they don't currently have plans to make a taller version.

Looks like a great rack, at a decent price...and requires no drilling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This was the beginning of my plans for building mine out for overlanding. The Decked system is great for secure storage and can still take the weight on top if I want to haul some more gear, a small quad or just build it into a bed platform with a cap or other shelter over it. I have plans for more but dont have the funds to do much else yet but the drawers have already made weekend and vacation excursions way easier as I just leave them loaded and dont worry about loading the truck any time I want to head off the beaten path!
20170618_151223.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been debating about some storage drawers. If I got them though, I think I'd want a cap over them for easier hauling of items in the bed.

How well can you still haul things, like trash, mower gas can, lumber, etc., in the bed with the drawer system?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just got my Rebel a couple months ago and plan on a off-road camping setup. I ordered a A.R.E. MX high truck cap, waiting on it to arrive. Installed bedrug and built sleeping cots. Foam mattresses are next. The cots are lightweight, separate, and easily removable.

IMG_2394.jpg IMG_2395.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the ram boxes so my options are scarce. I guess I should have thought about that before I got my truck, but I love the ram boxes otherwise. I would love to get a Best top, or soft topper if they made one that fits the short bed with ram boxes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just got my Rebel a couple months ago and plan on a off-road camping setup. I ordered a A.R.E. MX high truck cap, waiting on it to arrive. Installed bedrug and built sleeping cots. Foam mattresses are next. The cots are lightweight, separate, and easily removable.

View attachment 21697 View attachment 21705
Looks good. You should make a build thread of your setup when you have everything.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Great thread - subscribed. I'm new to both trucks and overlanding, but I'm learning fast on this forum and Overland Bound. I'm still getting acquainted with my new 2018 Rebel, but I'm hoping to contribute to this overland mod thread soon; in the plans for this year are:

• Tonneau cover
• 4" lift kit (AEV or BDS)
• 35x12.5 tires on 18" wheels
• Air compressor (on board, maybe)
• Bed rack compatible with Rambox
• Roof Top Tent
• Winch w/ custom mount in OE bumper

I'm sure there are lots of accessories and miscellaneous stuff I'll pick up along the way too... so far I picked up a set of deflators, a great collapsible utility shovel and a hatchet. (Not to mention a console safe and locking steel in-floor storage bin covers, which don't really have anything to do with overlanding, but I'm still excited about them : )

·
Registered
334 Posts

View attachment 21697 View attachment 21705
Looks great! Love the bed rug... that will make for a cozier place to sleep.

Will the bed be long enough for you to stretch out with the tailgate up/cap on? Being 6'3" I figure I probably couldn't make that work

·
Registered
265 Posts
Looks great! Love the bed rug... that will make for a cozier place to sleep.

Will the bed be long enough for you to stretch out with the tailgate up/cap on? Being 6'3" I figure I probably couldn't make that work
If I was 6'3" I wouldn't do this to a Rebel. I am short and will fit in the back of the short bed laying down fine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
or just build it into a bed platform with a cap or other shelter over it. View attachment 18657
Have you gotten any further? I just recently picked up my Rebel but have similar plans (including the decked).
The way I see it, we have two options rack or topper.
A topper is fantastic for just about everything with the exception of weight. Not the topper's weight as much as the extra framing you'll need to use to put a RTT on it.
Which leaves a Rack. There are two that I've found that are outstanding and judging by the price, they both know so. Leitner will probably be my choice primarily because it checks the boxes of light and strong, enabled me to add ridiculously expensive boxes that I'll never use, mount my maxtrax, mounting gas/water on the rack and enabling me to add a plate on either side to mount my Viair and outlets. That said, $1500 for the base rack and another $1300 for accessories just may piss me off enough to have a custom shop build the rack I want. Nutzo also makes a couple nice racks but again, they really do like their name.

http://www.leitnerdesigns.com/truck-bed-rack-5-5-foot-p/00-6267-f-01-1135.htm
Nutzo also makes racks for the RamBox
Expedition Racks Archives - Nuthouse Industries

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for the info and links Yeti....I've been wondering and looking (although not very hard) for a solution for a rack/tent combo for a Ram with the Rambox. That combo from Nutzo, while expensive, looks perfect! Been perusing their site...looks great. May have to order one up soon.

·
Registered
334 Posts
...The way I see it, we have two options rack or topper...
...I've been wondering and looking (although not very hard) for a solution for a rack/tent combo for a Ram with the Rambox. That combo from Nutzo, while expensive, looks perfect!...
I'm personally not at all a fan of toppers, but I do like the looks of a good overlanding rack... and since I have Ramboxes, I'll almost certainly go with the Nut House option. I also like that they're specifically engineered for our trucks, and (unlike the Leitner) don't require drilling into the bed.

I called Nut House the other day to talk about options, and spoke with a guy named Tom; he was really helpful and willing work with me to figure out a system that meets my specific goals... Even if it means doing a bit of custom work.

unxpctd - our challenge is that we can't mount accessories to the sides of any rack if we still wanna use our Ramboxes. But Tom had some good ideas on how to mount the accessories I have in mind... e.g. MaxTrax and a Hi-Lift Jack. I'm also interested in their aluminum roll up tonneau (which is great because it supports 500# of static weight, and works with racks, unlike a tri-fold), and he said he'd put together a couple design ideas for a custom shelf and/or mounts with some Hi-Lift pins and Rotopax for MaxTrax, etc.

I'm pretty excited to see what they come up with!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I see that they are in Ohio...and honestly if I'm going to spend $5,000 on a rack system and tent combination (with the extras) I would want to see it in person. If I can't find someone with a set up or a dealer close to me I'd consider driving down there to check things out. I may work a stop in Ohio into a trip in the next couple years. Its really good to know we've got options with the Rambox. I'll continue to do some more research...maybe just calling them would work...but thats alot to spend without seeing it in person.

I'm not a topper fan myself...but a rack system with a really nice tent would be perfect. This system is on the top of the list for purchases...but its a year or so out for me. I have my trips for 2018 planned...but 2019 is in the air...early spring 2019 would be my goal for this type of purchase.

·
Registered
556 Posts
This was the beginning of my plans for building mine out for overlanding. The Decked system is great for secure storage and can still take the weight on top if I want to haul some more gear, a small quad or just build it into a bed platform with a cap or other shelter over it. I have plans for more but dont have the funds to do much else yet but the drawers have already made weekend and vacation excursions way easier as I just leave them loaded and dont worry about loading the truck any time I want to head off the beaten path!
View attachment 18657
I love those drawers. Makes getting to your sh&t a lot easier I bet. Rather than jumping in to unload. Did the deck and drawers come together?

I like the beer bottle to the left... drinking while installing. Ahhhhh, the joys of upgrading:D

·
Registered
556 Posts
Scratch that. I just looked up the Decked system. I wish I knew about that before I got my tonneau cover :(
Now I am stuck with a tonneau cover and I could have got the deck for about the same price

1 - 20 of 46 Posts