Ram Rebel Forum banner

Off road mode

53412 Views 67 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Bglee65
Anyone come up with any mods to lock in off road mode over 25mph? Off road mode is so useless in this truck, who goes off roading under 25mph
Reactions: 1
41 - 60 of 68 Posts
I coated mine in red clay. Nothing else will ever touch the underside of my truck again, with that sort of protection.
It's unusual that they don't undercoat trucks these days, if they did they would last much longer.
I wouldn't call it unusual. I don't think many makers routinely undercoat their trucks, and that's been the norm all my life. But I would call it an odd behavior in that it makes sense to undercoat them, and all vehicles, honestly.

It's certainly cheaper not to do it, and there is a large business aftermarket for the materials and service work that the makers risk upsetting if they start doing it themselves. I don't know how all that plays into the decision by the vehicle makers themselves.
I wouldn't call it unusual. I don't think many makers routinely undercoat their trucks, and that's been the norm all my life. But I would call it an odd behavior in that it makes sense to undercoat them, and all vehicles, honestly.

It's certainly cheaper not to do it, and there is a large business aftermarket for the materials and service work that the makers risk upsetting if they start doing it themselves. I don't know how all that plays into the decision by the vehicle makers themselves.
Well they undercoat the new ford trucks, the Toyotas, so why not throw in some extra protection on the Dodge and Ram trucks too. hell, they may last even longer
I thought Ford's response to questions about undercoating was that their new aluminum F150s don't rust? Although aluminum does corrode. They get a chemical spray. That was from an article I read last year. Last I heard, GM was just spraying a black wax undercoating on trucks. Ram does what most do, a light chemical treatment spray or galvanized steel. The Toyota dealership here offers dealership undercoating on new trucks. Not sure why they'd do that if they come that way from the factory?

One concern is what after market undercoating would do to your rust warranty. The thicker coatings can easily block drain holes, etc.
I thought Ford's response to questions about undercoating was that their new aluminum F150s don't rust? Although aluminum does corrode. They get a chemical spray. That was from an article I read last year. Last I heard, GM was just spraying a black wax undercoating on trucks. Ram does what most do, a light chemical treatment spray or galvanized steel. The Toyota dealership here offers dealership undercoating on new trucks. Not sure why they'd do that if they come that way from the factory?

One concern is what after market undercoating would do to your rust warranty. The thicker coatings can easily block drain holes, etc.
What if you were to mask off all the drain holes and remove the tape as it sets. Could that work?
I'm sure that would work fine from a technical perspective. As far as getting a company to honor the rust warranty after such a job, who knows?
Would "jack mode" work to keep the truck in off-road mode?

When I was drilling for the bed extender mounts my truck kept wanting to raise from entry/exit. It really pissed me off. I didn't tell it to move. It seems to stay now so I don't really know what I was doing differently other than moving away to the garage to get tools and back again.
I'm sure that would work fine from a technical perspective. As far as getting a company to honor the rust warranty after such a job, who knows?
Well you got to look at it this way too, in the end we all know either way you look at it, the truck isn't going to last forever and everything rusts, Whether it is a Ram, a Dodge a Ford or GM vehicle, even Toyota rust too. So" What the Hell" Go for it I say, Buy a case of 3M undercoating from a good auto parts store or off Amazon , buy a large tarp for your driveway and a throw away painters suit and some safety glasses and a face mask and just go for it. what's the worse you could do, but protect the truck a little bit better from rust itself, you could even spray rust preventative on first, then spray over it.
Would "jack mode" work to keep the truck in off-road mode?

When I was drilling for the bed extender mounts my truck kept wanting to raise from entry/exit. It really pissed me off. I didn't tell it to move. It seems to stay now so I don't really know what I was doing differently other than moving away to the garage to get tools and back again.
Is your truck Possessed , It knows your walking up to it?
Is your truck Possessed , It knows your walking up to it?
Maybe it was "looking up" to see where I went? :D

Before you put on anything for undercoating make sure it is clean and dry. I've seen so many people think they are doing something nice for their vehicle when all they did was trap moisture against the metal and accelerate the rust.

Where I used to work we sprayed all the heavy equipment and trucks with Krown. Before that things would rust bad during the winter. After we started doing that the equipment stayed looking new throughout the year. The downside of Krown is that it drips for a few days after it is applied so you need to keep it out of your driveway if you want to keep it clean.

I've seen the effect it has and will be using it on my Rebel as soon as I can park overnight on the street here.
No i think what he is saying is... what are we really saving 1-2 mpg in areo mode? Im going to turn mine off as well, if i need to take a long trip i can manually put it in aero mode from the button on the dash.
Aero gives you slightly better handling (not much) at highway speed, too, just from being a little lower. Probably not enough to care about, except perhaps in an emergency maneuver.
Here is what I know. Off road mode is meant to be a creeper mode only. The air suspension is maxed out in off road mode and the ride is extremely stiff so go I g much faster than 25 mph isn't go I g to be a very nice ride anyways. I'm learning exit/entry and off road aren't very useful 95% of the time in this vehicle.
What mode does the vehicle drive in all of the time unless you pick a specific setting?
In NORMAL mode
In NORMAL mode
Is this when the air shutters activate and close making the truck more aerodynamic?
Is this when the air shutters activate and close making the truck more aerodynamic?
My suggestion is that you take a trip to the dealership and ask them all of your questions. A lot of times, it sort of helps when you have at least seen a vehicle in person before you ask ridiculous questions.

For you.....

Let me google that for you
Reactions: 1
My suggestion is that you take a trip to the dealership and ask them all of your questions. A lot of times, it sort of helps when you have at least seen a vehicle in person before you ask ridiculous questions.

For you.....

Let me google that for you
My compliments to you for being just like Joe.
Yes I've seen the vehicle and I've driven it too.
I even received my Magnum steps for free too.
But I'm waiting to purchase one till this fall. One big expense before another.
Please don't refer to me. Just go away
Reactions: 2
And Im sure when received those Magnum steps you misrepresented yourself to ICI.

My guess you even told them in a follow up conversation how you decided not to by a Rebel and bought a Chevy truck.
Reactions: 2
And Im sure when received those Magnum steps you misrepresented yourself to ICI.

My guess you even told them in a follow up conversation how you decided not to by a Rebel and bought a Chevy truck.
No sir. I returned the steps to ICI and I haven't purchased a truck. Yet!
Have a good day.
41 - 60 of 68 Posts