Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, can I ask how often y’all are changing your engine oil? I just got a 2021 Rebel (new) and have 2500 miles on it, anyway, I’m old school (and old lol) and have always changed the oil every 3,000 miles. I know a lot of these newer cars can go 5,000 plus miles before the vehicle notifies you that the oil needs changing (I had a 2019 Bighorn and just changed the oil when it’s life got down to less then 10%, but that was a lease, I’m buying the Rebel). So what do y’all recommend? Also, conventional oil or full synthetic?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all, can I ask how often y’all are changing your engine oil? I just got a 2021 Rebel (new) and have 2500 miles on it, anyway, I’m old school (and old lol) and have always changed the oil every 3,000 miles. I know a lot of these newer cars can go 5,000 plus miles before the vehicle notifies you that the oil needs changing (I had a 2019 Bighorn and just changed the oil when it’s life got down to less then 10%, but that was a lease, I’m buying the Rebel). So what do y’all recommend? Also, conventional oil or full synthetic?
I bought a 2017 rebel in 2018 with only 5410 miles on her.I change the oil with 6500-7500 miles with full synthetic.I was using mobil super synthetic 5w20 with a long life mobil 1 oil filter.I now have a little over 31000 miles and have switched to penzoil ultra premium full synthetic 5w20 and a k&n gold filter with a little over 6000 miles and the oil change indicator says i have 25% oil life left.If you look in your manual it only says never exceed 10000 miles between oil changes.I also have been using seafoam for 300 miles in the crankcase before i change the oil to clean the crankcase.I would tell you i believe 6000-8000 miles is fine depending if your in the dirt or desert alot with your rebel.

I hope i was able to help you with your decision.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do mine with dealership oil synthetic blend every 3k miles to help avoid the valve lifter failure !!!
Also Mobile 1 is NOT APPROVED FOR THE HEMI ENGINE !!! Doesn’t meet the requirements by MOPAR !!! Stop 🛑 using it !!! Look it up for yourself !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do mine with dealership oil synthetic blend every 3k miles to help avoid the valve lifter failure !!!
Also Mobile 1 is NOT APPROVED FOR THE HEMI ENGINE !!! Doesn’t meet the requirements by MOPAR !!! Stop 🛑 using it !!! Look it up for yourself !!!
hEY bAM
Hey Bama
Im not sure if your reply is to me , but im well aware the oil must be mopar cert ms6395 what ever that means.I have allways used mobil 1 on my vehicles and did use the website and it told me i should use mobil super synthetic 5w20 so i used it for 2 oil changes the switched to penzoil.Im sorry to tell you but the notorious hemi tick is what the hemi does no matter how often you change the oil.I cant believe that sometimes i have started my truck and heard a bit of knocks like it was dry.
Im happy with Penzoil and will stick with it and mostly keep my changes in the 6000-8000 mile range.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rebel is 4 1/2 years old with 70k miles. Always do my own oil changes with synthetic 5w20 every 10,000 miles. It's 2021 not 1976 and the 3,000 mile rule was based on poor engine design and lower quality oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10,000 miles? Is that what you meant? I’ve seen 5,000 and even 6,000 but never 10,000 miles between oil changes! What about transmission fluid and differential fluid, how long do you go between changing those fluids?

·
Registered
65 Posts
10,000 miles? Is that what you meant? What about transmission fluid and differential fluid, how long do you go between changing those fluids?
Full synthetic oils will actually last well beyond 10,000 miles. The lifespan of synthetic oil depends, but it's not crazy to see oils still working at 15,000 miles or longer.

As for transmission fluid and differential fluid that will be done at 5 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). The 60,000 data is ONLY if your vehicle is used for extreme off-roading, fleet, taxi, heavy towing; yada, yada, yada.

The only thing I tow is a light speedboat to the lake a dozen times a year which is nothing for the hemi. For trunk maintenance I put my trust in the newest data supplied by educated automotive engineers, not the local mechanic trying to line his shop profits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also Mobile 1 is NOT APPROVED FOR THE HEMI ENGINE !!! Doesn’t meet the requirements by MOPAR !!! Stop using it !!! Look it up for yourself !!!
Doesn't meet the requirements because Mobil 1 didn't pay the money for the certification. This is what I was told when I called my dealer and went to change the oil for the first time on my SRT392 Challenger.

Service manager went as far as to say they still used Mobil 1 at the dealership.

Put 32k miles on the Challenger using Mobil 1 0-40w with no issues before trading it last week for a 2021 Rebel.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts