Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See pictures.
I noticed it about a week ago. Looks like it's splitting right at the edge.
I asked my service rep and she said I have to go to the body shop.
Haven't had time to do it yet but does anyone know if this could be covered under warranty?
Rim Wheel Tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Wood Automotive exterior Metal Steel Molding
Molding Automotive exterior Beige Metal

·
Registered
933 Posts
If not under warranty, check to see if there's a lemon law in your state. If it's rusting here already chances are its crappy batch of metal

·
Registered
77 Posts
If it's already rusting, chances are it's been there for a while. With a silver exterior, it could have blended in fro day 1.

Oh well, that's what the warranty is for!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had an 06 GTO that the paint was bubbling up and peeling on the bumper and under the hood. It was covered under warranty after going back and forth with the dealership and corporate. It took a while to get it straightened out but they painted the hood and front bumper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had an 06 GTO that the paint was bubbling up and peeling on the bumper and under the hood. It was covered under warranty after going back and forth with the dealership and corporate. It took a while to get it straightened out but they painted the hood and front bumper.
Last year my 2012 big horn started to show rust on the front on the box behind the cab where it is riveted . I brought it in to the dealership and pointed it out and they repainted it under warranty.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know if that is near the driver door but I have seen that same issue on fleet trucks from repeated scuffing of boots in and out of the cab on the rocker. Rust isn't caused by a crappy batch of metal, rust is simply a chemical reaction between a untreated pourus surface/oxygen and moisture. I hope it gets resolved, nothing worse than seeing rust on your pride and joy!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Exactly. Rust happens when metal is exposed to oxygen. Water will accelerate the process, and salts will do so even faster. Almost every known metal rusts (or corrodes) when exposed.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I am old enough to remember the mid 70s when bad batches of recycled metal rusted viehicles from inside the metal even with full new paint jobs. That's prob not happening here but if rust is appearing in less than a year on a painted part it sparks a memory in this old geezer.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yes, we used to say that the rust us standard on the 78 Chevy trucks. I know I had one and the only thing that didn't rust on it was the Windows. It was a bucket of rust but that darn thing would run.
Big Red

·
Registered
55 Posts
Paint quality has changed so much in recent years. You very rarely see factory finish delamination any longer and that was a rampant problem with Ford and Chevy for decades. Honda had a few bad years/colors in the last 10 years but most of the products today are pretty reliable. I would say if there is an issue with peeling and it isn't wear related it is possible that an inferior repair had been performed and not reported prior to sale. Transport damage and lot damage is often repaired at dealers before the point of sale and most states do not require disclosure of the damage is less than $1000.00

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I believe the parts set outside and we're brought in when they used them. They would use the same thing for several years and made several and used when needed. Well it wasn't only the 79,s I traded a 04 Silverado that was eat up with rust. Paint good and so was the rust. I don't think it is the only one. I pray the Rebel don't rust. I hate rust!
Big Red

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.