Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I've always just washed and waxed my vehicles myself by hand with a high quality wax, but after posting on another sit I was bombarded by questions about if I was going to get paint protection, especially since my truck is black. Yet there isn't a lot of info about it on this site (well that I've found yet anyway)

The dealer never mentioned this service, though I assume a detailed could do it as well. But is it necessary? Are there different kinds? Or is this just that clear film on the front of the hood? Or is this just a scam by the dealers to get more money? I googled and find very conflicting info.

Please give me your thoughts if I'm missing the boat, I don't want to miss out on something I should've done in the beginning once I get a few thousand miles down the road.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I looked into Auto Armor for a previous truck, but haven't really thought too much about it since.
My concern is purely with the rocker panels currently. Looking at Rams and other full size trucks, the midwest winters and Iowa's current salt brine they put on the roads seems to do a number on the bottom end, but then the rest of the truck will still look OK.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I had my dealer apply a 3M undercoating 5 year warranty especially in a high salt environment. I applied a paint sealer on the outside, and will be applying a CQuartz UK sealant once the air temp goes down. The air alone on an island in the Atlantic can turn anything to rust not to mention the millions of tons of road salt used here every year. For now, every time I take the rebel out I wax it before parking it.

Reactions: Biergott10

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That CQuartz isn't cheap for something that doesn't last forever isn't it? I'm in Southern California, so it's basically dry here nearly year round. A bit of rain in the winter, and the Salt Air from the Pacific doesn't come to far inland. Also, if we do go to the snow in the mountains, they do not salt the roads, they use sand/gravel.

Maybe I don't need to make the investment? Was just very strange that another site, it was bang, bang, bang, posts about paint protection. Got me worried a bit.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've been going to check with guy in town that has a detail shop and get his opinion. My salesman told me that it wasn't necessary but he plans to sell me another in five years. Have I got a surprise for him .This one should last me another 15 years. Then I'll be ready for a rocking chair.
T toyato dealer is the main one around here that pushes anything like that. I will say they.elook better. I just don't know
Big Red

·
Registered
933 Posts
To each his own, but for me, if I'm spending thousands on anything I look after it to the best of my abilities.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris, if you don't mind me asking, how much is the CQuartz UK going to cost you? And did they tell you how long it lasts?

And what Paint Sealer did you use? Or was it done at the dealer?

I'm actually kind of bummed the dealer didn't offer anything like this now. They offered everything else like maintenance programs, gap insurance, extrended warranties, etc.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The sealer is a mopar product my parts guy just gave me a two oz bottle and I had a detailer apply it. The CQuatrz UK kit with eraser and waterless wash I got on the Internet for around $250. It's supposed to last more than two years without having to do anything but rinse the truck off. Check out some u-tube videos on it, it takes about 6 hrs to strip then apply it. My dealers parts guy is always giving me stuff, mostly because I put his kid thru collage with all I purchase from him.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Your welcome. FYI the factory undercoating and fabric protectant were both done over two days at my dealership before I agreed to purchase, added about $900 to the sale price. They respray the underside for five years every year. The interior is warrantied against stains for twenty, 20, years. I still have about half the paint sealer left, pm me an address I'll send u what's left.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know if the RAM dealer can spray the underside of the truck once a year upon request? Or is it something you have to sign up for when doing all the paperwork on that exciting day you pick up your truck? Im in an area of the midwest where salt (fine powdery stuff too) is used in the largest quantities possible. Or it seems to be. I am one who absolutely hates the thought of "hidden" rust. I want to feel like the Rebel is somewhat protected from the salt this winter and winters to come. I have a routine oil change / tire rotation coming up. It would be nice to time it to be done all in the same visit. I live 1h 30m from my dealer.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Michael

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yes Michael your dealer can, or most can, spray various under coatings. From plain used motor oil to extreme rust protectants. Mine has a 3M product that looks like paraffin wax after it dries. The dealer will need the rebel for a couple of days to drill into any sealed cavities from the bottom, then they insert a very small sprayer into these as well as cover anything they can see. Then they typically let it dry inside for a day. Costs can range from about$300 to $1000 depending on the product used. I highly recommend the best rust proofing warranty you can afford. Specially in high salt environments.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes Michael your dealer can, or most can, spray various under coatings. From plain used motor oil to extreme rust protectants. Mine has a 3M product that looks like paraffin wax after it dries. The dealer will need the rebel for a couple of days to drill into any sealed cavities from the bottom, then they insert a very small sprayer into these as well as cover anything they can see. Then they typically let it dry inside for a day. Costs can range from about$300 to $1000 depending on the product used. I highly recommend the best rust proofing warranty you can afford. Specially in high salt environments.
Thank you for the information! My dealer is nice enough to provide their customers with courtesy cars while their vehicle is in the shop. So an extended stay isn't too big of an issue! Most likely will have that done in the next few weeks!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Great to hear, once again buy the best warrantied product you can afford.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found a local detailer with good reviews thatll do paint correction and opti-gloss coating for $500 on my truck. Think I have to jump on that. I'd love to do it myself, but after 4 cervical spinal fusions in the last 8 years, don't think my wax on wax off power is strong enough anymore lol

·
Registered
933 Posts
I hear that, I have four disks totally disengrating from my paratrooping days. I have to pay to get things done on the rebel that in the old days I would have done in the blink of an eye. Good luck with the coating, I think you will be impressed.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I can put gas in, checking the oil is a chore for me. That's about all these worn out bones will do. I admire the changes you all have made to your Rebels. There no more enjoyment than doing it yourself.
Big Red

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.