Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going down rough roads I get a loud rattle or thud type sounds when the drives side front wheel comes in contact with the rough spot. does anyone else do this. I have checked the obvious stuff, running board brackets, jack and accessories under the passenger seat etc. cant find anything loose on that side that would move enough to be noticeable in this situation

help me out listen to yours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Going down rough roads I get a loud rattle or thud type sounds when the drives side front wheel comes in contact with the rough spot. does anyone else do this. I have checked the obvious stuff, running board brackets, jack and accessories under the passenger seat etc. cant find anything loose on that side that would move enough to be noticeable in this situation

Yes mine does too it's driving me crazy I can't find where it's coming from

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found threads on other forums stating they found the noise coming from the area, they are stating the clunk is coming from loose body mount bolts on the passenger side, mine seemed pretty tight but I gave them a good half turn more which they are saying cured there issue. ill post back once i drive a bit more

·
Banned
248 Posts

Is the Jack that comes with the vehicle capable of actually lifting the truck off the ground to change the tire, with the undersized tire supplied?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is the Jack that comes with the vehicle capable of actually lifting the truck off the ground to change the tire, with the undersized tire supplied?
This is kind of a REALLY dumb question...of coarse the jack the came from RAM built for RAM can lift the truck. Is any jack completely safe? no they're for emergency use only. I've owned and "jacked" many Dodge/Ram models in my life. As long as you use it as instructed it will be fine...to think that the manufacturer would put out a product that can't hold the product it was designed for...C'mon man you are just posting to post now...

·
Banned
248 Posts
This is kind of a REALLY dumb question...of coarse the jack the came from RAM built for RAM can lift the truck. Is any jack completely safe? no they're for emergency use only. I've owned and "jacked" many Dodge/Ram models in my life. As long as you use it as instructed it will be fine...to think that the manufacturer would put out a product that can't hold the product it was designed for...C'mon man you are just posting to post now...
Well you got to look at it this way too. By he jack wasn't made in the USA. Hell a lot of things aren't anymore. And on top of that Fiat who owns Ram cuts corners often. With this truck design they cut a corner. They put large tires on the truck but a spare which isn't full size. So if your out wheelin' and you blow a tire your spare isn't a match. So your day ends there. So who's to say the jack is any good after all.
Go use it and make sure you can lift your truck up high enough to get the full sized tire off and the little spare back on. Which shouldn't be a problem being that's it's a 31" tire.
For those of you who didn't know this. The spare isn't a match to what's on the rims.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Well you got to look at it this way too. By he jack wasn't made in the USA. Hell a lot of things aren't anymore. And on top of that Fiat who owns Ram cuts corners often. With this truck design they cut a corner. They put large tires on the truck but a spare which isn't full size. So if your out wheelin' and you blow a tire your spare isn't a match. So your day ends there. So who's to say the jack is any good after all.
Go use it and make sure you can lift your truck up high enough to get the full sized tire off and the little spare back on. Which shouldn't be a problem being that's it's a 31" tire.
For those of you who didn't know this. The spare isn't a match to what's on the rims.
go do this on your rebel and send us pictures with the results.

you are always telling "us" what to do

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If im not mistaken doesnt the ram with air suspension have a tire change mode which lowers the truck, i know its got an alignment mode and transport mode.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This was your response? First of all the 31 inch tire is there because a 33 Toyo would NOT fit between the muffler mounts are rear of truck. FCA is not going to redesign the undercarriage of an entire line for one specialty tire to fit. Secondly have you ever seen a "doughnut" spare tire on a car. You think those should be full sized spares too? the "spare tire" if you will is built like I said in case of emergency...it is an acceptable solution to get you to definitive repair.. you're not supposed to continue baha-ing on a spare. It gets to you safety. That is it...hell half the spares on cars are not rated for higher than 55mph. If you are raming around somewhere isolated you probably have another back up plan other than the big horn edition back up under your bed for emergency.

p.s. the spare tire jack has been the same since 2009 model redesign. if you don't like it buy a new one...or you can start with buying a Rebel period

·
Registered
426 Posts
I will this fall Joe. When 2017 models come in with the redesigned front bumper and full sized spare tires.
hahaha. Went from getting one in the fall to getting one in the spring. Now youre getting one in the fall with full size spare "tires" so its coming with more than one?? FCA sure cut that corner hahaha

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
To the point on the jack, it's rated for about 3,000 lbs. That's more than the Rebel should weigh at any wheel under normal circumstances, and it's capable of lifting the truck just high enough to replace tires if you use it in the proper location.

With that said, there are instances of the jack failing. It has a pretty small base compared to typical hydraulic jacks. This makes it very susceptible to shifting on any uneven ground. I have one buddy who had his jack fail on his Ram when he tried to lift up the rear tire. He had an ATV in the box, which should not have been enough weight in the rear to cause jack failure. It broke at one end of the scissor and collapsed. I got to see it later. Cracked and split around the pivot point where the scissors meet at one end and the screw joins it.

I had one fail once on a wet gravel road. It twisted / slipped on the gravel and ended up looking more like a pretzel than a scissor jack. I had gotten all the loose pebbles out from under it but it appeared that the road surface sunk a bit under one side of it.

So the jack is rated enough for the application, and the same style of jack is supplied with millions of cars. They are normally adequate for the job, but you should never trust them enough to crawl under the vehicle.

·
Banned
248 Posts
hahaha. Went from getting one in the fall to getting one in the spring. Now youre getting one in the fall with full size spare "tires" so its coming with more than one?? FCA sure cut that corner hahaha
FCA cut a lot of corners. It's actually FIAT. Fix it again Tony.
To the point on the jack, it's rated for about 3,000 lbs. That's more than the Rebel should weigh at any wheel under normal circumstances, and it's capable of lifting the truck just high enough to replace tires if you use it in the proper location.

With that said, there are instances of the jack failing. It has a pretty small base compared to typical hydraulic jacks. This makes it very susceptible to shifting on any uneven ground. I have one buddy who had his jack fail on his Ram when he tried to lift up the rear tire. He had an ATV in the box, which should not have been enough weight in the rear to cause jack failure. It broke at one end of the scissor and collapsed. I got to see it later. Cracked and split around the pivot point where the scissors meet at one end and the screw joins it.

I had one fail once on a wet gravel road. It twisted / slipped on the gravel and ended up looking more like a pretzel than a scissor jack. I had gotten all the loose pebbles out from under it but it appeared that the road surface sunk a bit under one side of it.

So the jack is rated enough for the application, and the same style of jack is supplied with millions of cars. They are normally adequate for the job, but you should never trust them enough to crawl under the vehicle.
John.
You need a hobby. I respect your a Marine and a retired engineer too.
But you quote more stuff then me.
You now have earned the title of QC Director. ! Lmao

·
Banned
248 Posts
Well. As all of you are tired of listening to me she is too. She said buy one already.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I will this fall Joe. When 2017 models come in with the redesigned front bumper and full sized spare tires.
So its coming with more than one spare? But FIAT still cuts corners? Sounds like they added a corner if theyre giving more than one spare.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts