Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I have a electrical question. The in-dash power inverter is rated at 115v / 150 watts. I just purchased a led work light that needs 110-120V at 35 Watts. When I plug it in it only flickers on and off. I was told this would work. The only thing I can see is that the light needs 60 hz and I have no clue how much hz the outlet provides. Can someone let me know 100 percent if this inverter is just to weak based on specs provided. I ain't no electrician lol. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's more about the amps than the voltage. Our trucks can only supply a little over 1 amp. It's pretty much the equivalent to the 12V cigarette charger (and if you think about it- it's being powered by the same battery, wiring, etc.). It's just a convenience so you don't have to buy an adapter. I've charged batteries just fine with mine but when I plugged in my dremel tool it shut off. I knew I was pushing my luck and just glad I didn't blow a fuse. So yes, it's too weak.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It's more about the amps than the voltage. Our trucks can only supply a little over 1 amp. It's pretty much the equivalent to the 12V cigarette charger (and if you think about it- it's being powered by the same battery, wiring, etc.). It's just a convenience so you don't have to buy an adapter. I've charged batteries just fine with mine but when I plugged in my dremel tool it shut off. I knew I was pushing my luck and just glad I didn't blow a fuse. So yes, it's too weak.
The inverter's only designed to handle about 150W. You can get more powerful inverters if you want. The truck will handle more power, although you'd likely have to run heavier wiring to the inverter and its socket. The alternator is a 180A alternator at 14.5v, which is about 2600W. Running with lights and all accessories going, you probably draw about 50% of that or more, would have to verify with a meter. But there's probably still 1000-1200W of spare power that could be used for a stronger inverter if you wish. Inverters lose power in the conversion, so you would probably have only around 600-900W on the inverter output, but at 110V that's 5-8A, enough for some medium tools/devices. With lights and stereo off, the alternator could supply a lot more.

If you need more power than that, you could swap out the alternator for a bigger one, or add a second alternator. (The Power Wagon has dual alternators as an option.)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Just saw my power wagon get off loaded. It has dual alternators and 380amps. I can't wait to drive it away tomorrow, but a bit sad I'll be leaving my rebel behind.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ok... I have a electrical question. The in-dash power inverter is rated at 115v / 150 watts. I just purchased a led work light that needs 110-120V at 35 Watts. When I plug it in it only flickers on and off. I was told this would work. The only thing I can see is that the light needs 60 hz and I have no clue how much hz the outlet provides. Can someone let me know 100 percent if this inverter is just to weak based on specs provided. I ain't no electrician lol. Thanks again.
I assume it works OK plugged into your house receptacles.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I bet she was. :)

I am tempted to put a more powerful inverter in mine. Haven't had a big need, yet. Most of my power tools that I would carry around are battery powered, anyway. I do have a couple of lights for working. One that works really well is just one of those old clamp-on aluminum reflectors with a 200W equivalent LED bulb in it. The bulb only draws 14 watts. So it runs off the inverter very easily and it's enough to provide plenty of work light. 50' power cord lets me get it away from the truck as needed. But there will probably be a time where I want more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 5000W inverter under the back seat. It runs my Ox Box coffee maker fine and it draws around 4000W. Occassionally it'll trip and I'll have to restart it, but normally it's fine. I'm adding a bunch of stereo soon, so I'm going to go to an isolated dual optima setup

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
That's massive. 4000W means you're pulling 333 amps from your alternator/battery - if pulling the full 4000W for something bigger than a coffee pot. That would drag your alternator down completely.

According to Oxx, the Boxx only pulls 1450W, so that's good. It's still at least a 120A draw on your system, minimum, because the inverter loses some power in the process.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts