Ram Rebel Forum banner

161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was sitting in my living room the other day and heard a loud hiss. I though it was my air compressor so I went out to check it out couldn’t find anything wrong. They were also doing road work so I blamed on the road work...anyway fast forward two days, I get three warning on the panel. One for service air suspension, service air brake and something else. The Rebel is stuck in the entry/exit level and will not go up. I just purchased it 5 months ago, and this is not cold weather related as it was 90 degree outside the day I heard the hiss from the air suspension. Of course when I call the dealership, they have never heard of any problems ever with any air suspensions systems on the RAM truck lines. (they wonder why I don't trust them)...and this is why I will never own a RAM again. In fact I'm about ready to sell this one. Just waiting for a certain company to make a truck. Then I'm all in...

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, it's Subaru (I know it wont have the towing capacity or power and probably be a midsize). I just got a new one Ascent SUV from them. The customer service is so much better then anything I've ever received from RAM. Been a Ram owner for 20 years, but sadly after the way this purchase went and now the truck breaking after 3600 miles. Not happy, I even asked the salesmen about the air suspension, and he said there hasn't been any issues with them....shame on me for believing him.

·
Registered
552 Posts
No, it's Subaru (I know it wont have the towing capacity or power and probably be a midsize). I just got a new one Ascent SUV from them. The customer service is so much better then anything I've ever received from RAM. Been a Ram owner for 20 years, but sadly after the way this purchase went and now the truck breaking after 3600 miles. Not happy, I even asked the salesmen about the air suspension, and he said there hasn't been any issues with them....shame on me for believing him.
Subaru??? Really?!
Never realized they were going to make a truck. That would be interesting for sure.
Yeah I asked our sales guy about the air too. He assured me that, as I was under the impression, air suspension had been highly reliable for years in bigger vehicles than the RAM trucks. Damn sales guys !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well ****. I hate to read all this..lol.
I've had my 2017 rebel since last summer. Never once had an issue. I live in NC and Saturday I was casually driving and the error message for suspension servicing popped up. Pulled over tried to raise or lower and it appeared that the front dropped and back went to off road position.
Mind you it was 90°F so cold weather wasn't an issue. Once I got home, I found the 40amp compressor fuse popped. I changed it and everything seemed fine Sunday afternoon... However this morning the truck was again lower in the front but the fuse wasn't popped. I went out a few mins ago and couldn't get it to raise or lower until a few trys.At one point when I touched the manual buttons it wouldn't even say raising or lowering on the dash.
The back hissed a few times then everything seems to work again.
I have an appointment at the dealership this Eve for service.. I'm now scared that whatever they find that this could happen with my camper towing next time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was sitting in my living room the other day and heard a loud hiss. I though it was my air compressor so I went out to check it out couldn’t find anything wrong. They were also doing road work so I blamed on the road work...anyway fast forward two days, I get three warning on the panel. One for service air suspension, service air brake and something else. The Rebel is stuck in the entry/exit level and will not go up. I just purchased it 5 months ago, and this is not cold weather related as it was 90 degree outside the day I heard the hiss from the air suspension. Of course when I call the dealership, they have never heard of any problems ever with any air suspensions systems on the RAM truck lines. (they wonder why I don't trust them)...and this is why I will never own a RAM again. In fact I'm about ready to sell this one. Just waiting for a certain company to make a truck. Then I'm all in...
I just went to a local dealer in East Hanover, NJ and they heard of the issue and replaced the compressor. So far so good but now have other issues. See my post 2018 Rebel Nightmare. If you need to raise the truck change the 40a fuse under the hood, may buy you a week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got back from the dealership and they actually told me there is no fix!!! I nearly lost it. They say the vent freezes in the colder weather. I'm located in Newfoundland Canada and they say the truck wasn't really tested in colder climates lol I don't know if they know what they are even talking about. But how can you sell a vehicle when you can't even use it during colder climates. Blows my mind after spending so much money. I have a garage I can park it there but why should I have to do that, it's a truck. I need to contact someone who can figure this problem out. There's also couple more trucks just like mine with the same problem sitting out in the parking lot. So everytime it gets cold and the vehicle is sitting outside for a few days the vent freezes and you have to replace it.
Then FCA should buy your truck back from you. That is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,

I am living in Quebec, Canada where the temperature can go very low during the winter but since I bought my RAM last winter, I never had freezing issues with my suspension. However, I have read this thread very carefully because I would like to prevent this to happen and may have found something today on my truck that could interrrest you...

First of all, after looking at the system, I can confirm that it is open to atmosphere since there is an inlet filter going to the pump and a vent line from the out port of the valve block. Knowing pneumatic systems, it creates moisture during décompression because of the pressure drop. When I saw the out line going upward from the valve block, I was very surprised because any moisture going out from this port would be trapped in the line. So I have elected to disconnect the line from the valve block and blow air from the other end behind the RH tail light. No surprise when I saw a lot of water getting out...I do not know what it could do if this line freeze but I know that moisture won’t be able to get out during winter operation causing the valve block to freeze probably. I am thinking about moving this line so it would go downward and helps moisture to drain...The other thing I am thinking about is to pour few drops of air tools lubricating oil in the inlet line but not sure if this is a good idea...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi guys,

I am living in Quebec, Canada where the temperature can go very low during the winter but since I bought my RAM last winter, I never had freezing issues with my suspension. However, I have read this thread very carefully because I would like to prevent this to happen and may have found something today on my truck that could interrrest you...

First of all, after looking at the system, I can confirm that it is open to atmosphere since there is an inlet filter going to the pump and a vent line from the out port of the valve block. Knowing pneumatic systems, it creates moisture during décompression because of the pressure drop. When I saw the out line going upward from the valve block, I was very surprised because any moisture going out from this port would be trapped in the line. So I have elected to disconnect the line from the valve block and blow air from the other end behind the RH tail light. No surprise when I saw a lot of water getting out...I do not know what it could do if this line freeze but I know that moisture won’t be able to get out during winter operation causing the valve block to freeze probably. I am thinking about moving this line so it would go downward and helps moisture to drain...The other thing I am thinking about is to pour few drops of air tools lubricating oil in the inlet line but not sure if this is a good idea...
Hi Martin.
Is there no moisture removal system in the line somewhere? I thought all pneumatic systems need them, although I am at the point where it wouldn’t surprise me if FCA left it out. I would definitely call the service guys at your dealership before adding oil to it. The last thing you want is to start having issues. It would be nice if that was a fix though; just a couple drops of air line oil and the problem is fixed, how great would that be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have looked at the system closely and the only place I could see the water separator is would be in the valve block where you have this OUT line venting in the LH tail light area. However, as I explained earlier, this line is going upward and don't let the water to escape. Mine was full of water... You are right, I will not put oil in the system since I am not sure how the compressor will react and this will not remove the moisture...My next step is to get a schematic of the whole system to understand better why the compressor is taking air from outside. Are the tanks accumulators pre-charged with Nitrogen? Can the moisture go in the whole system? I will find my answers soon and share them with you guys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have looked at the system closely and the only place I could see the water separator is would be in the valve block where you have this OUT line venting in the LH tail light area. However, as I explained earlier, this line is going upward and don't let the water to escape. Mine was full of water... You are right, I will not put oil in the system since I am not sure how the compressor will react and this will not remove the moisture...My next step is to get a schematic of the whole system to understand better why the compressor is taking air from outside. Are the tanks accumulators pre-charged with Nitrogen? Can the moisture go in the whole system? I will find my answers soon and share them with you guys.

Hey man, posting this in case this guy in his video got a different angle on his compressor!
Pretty neat idea, compressor blanket

Attached: Basic maps of the air suspension

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
The problem is not that the compressor gets cold it gets hot from over working itself if anything. This guy in the video just figures “the suspension doesn’t work in the cold let’s warm it up”... good idea but he named his video a ‘’’cure’” it’s far from it....

·
Registered
14 Posts
This pictures are good too I seen those ones when researching removing my air ride to see if mounts were the same as coil spring set up and sure enough they are .. there’s also a very good video on the BDS suspension website removing the bags on your ram and re-installing them ...

·
Registered
68 Posts
It appears it does not matter what make or model a vehicle is. The air suspension systems do not work well in the extreme cold. I have found issues with Audi, Mercedes, Lexus/Toyota, Jaguar, Land Rover/Range Rover, Ford, Tesla.....and the list goes on. Not helpful to us I know - just pointing it out that we are not the only ones experiencing this.

Does anyone know if this "new and improved compressor" uses the same amperage as the earlier models? Maybe a higher amperage fuse 50amp in place of the 40amp might help. Any thoughts here? One person on an Audi forum stated he installed an upgraded compressor that required 50amps vs 40amps. He kept using the 40amps and the fuses kept blowing. Now if the compressor valves are frozen shut and causes it to burn up. This probably wont help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Came across this thread in hopes of finding a solution to this problem. I have a 2015 longhorn Ram with the terrible air suspension.. last winter was the first time i began having issues, the truck went to the dealer and they said the compressor needed to be replaced. It was updated with "a better compressor" to the tune of $1500 since I was out of my warranty. The truck was fine the rest of the winter and now this year I am having the same problem as soon as the temps reach below 0. If the truck is parked in a heated garage for an hour or 2 it will come back to the normal ride height. In most cases the back drops and the front stays in normal ride height but I have had all 4 corners drop as well. This is beyond frustrating and when speaking with many dealers in my area, they all claim to not know anything about the problem. I was given a tip from another Ram owner that runs tanner gas in the system each fall and has never had an issue. This might be my next attempt for a "fix" since i am out of warranty and to keep replacing parts from Dodge that don't seem to fix the issue are a complete waste of time & money. If the tanner gas doesn't solve the problem, this truck will become someone else problem and I will move in to something different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a 2013 outdoorsman 1500 and this is my 3rd winter with air suspension problem and without warranty of course. I live in Hawkesbury Ont. Canada and we have cold winter (can go down to -30°C) my 2 first winter the air suspension get froze at -25°c -30°c that was cold but since the last 3 winter i start having some problem same has every body in this forum and no dealer noes what to do they dont have one mechanical guy that can work with that system. And its very hard to find a place other than the dealer that can work with the air suspension but i seem to find one here in town. The guy that look at my suspension find out that i ad a leek in my back right balloon so i changed for a used one and put it on and fill back up the nitrogen it was ok except one thing when he entered the data to calibrate my suspension the computer (which is the module placed under the driver's seat) override the data and entered others so that the rear suspension was more elevated than usual. The computer never let the data in he override it. Same thing happened when i went to the dealer few month before and they said it was normal (i knew they where wrong because know how my suspension work). Yesterday I went to see the same guy that found my leek and he plug is computer (because i still have some problem with my air suspension) find few code that was saying things like ex: low pressure in nitrogen but make the test and pressure was good no leek so now we know that the computer send some weird code its seem to be that the computer is defective. Now my problem is that even if i buy a bran new computer i could have the same problem because even the new truck have the same issue. I think my best shot would be to by a used computer for half the price. If that doesn't solve my problem well i will look to replace the holed system with a standard suspension.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'd just replace the suspension bud sorry to say but the air ride will give you problems sooner or later in the winter.
Between me and two buddies with rebels and another guy at work 3 of us had issues our first year in winter which was just last year and this year the 4th one went down while hes outta town.
But it's up to you if you constantly wanna spend money on fixing the air ride and labor but in the long run its cheaper just to replace it with coil overs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do what I and many others have done and just eliminate the air ride all together it is a fairly simple task I did mine in a day along with replacing upper and lower control arms (unrelated) at least you will have lifetime warranty on the new front shocks if you buy decent ones and coil springs are cheap for the rear .. (and will not fail like the air ride) might as well lift the truck up a bit too while your doing the work.
In my opinion the computer (module) is the fault to begin with it controls the electronic valve and that is where I believe the real problem lies. Then it leads to burned out compressors. This can eventually cause air shocks to leak because the rest of the system is not doing it’s job .
I’m in New Brunswick the cost for me to buy my parts and do the work myself was around $1000 my truck is much more dependable now.
Once the problems start they don’t just end and it’s not just a winter problem .. mines failed in the summer too. But it’s worse in winter

161 - 180 of 201 Posts