Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your Rebel come with a Borg Warner 44-44 or Borg Warner 44-45 transfer case?
An easy way to tell is by looking at your 4x4 controls and seeing if it has (2wd, 4 auto, 4 lock and 4 lo) which would be a 44-44 or if it instead has (2wd, 4 lock, 4 lo) which would be a 44-45.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does your Rebel come with a Borg Warner 44-44 or Borg Warner 44-45 transfer case?
An easy way to tell is by looking at your 4x4 controls and seeing if it has (2wd, 4 auto, 4 lock and 4 lo) which would be a 44-44 or if it instead has (2wd, 4 lock, 4 lo) which would be a 44-45.
Mine doesn't have 4 auto.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The Rebel does not have that crappy "auto" 4wd. It is actually 4WD and not AWD. I would never buy an AWD truck. The clutches always slip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Rebel does not have that crappy "auto" 4wd. It is actually 4WD and not AWD. I would never buy an AWD truck. The clutches always slip.
That's good. Apparently lots of people hating on that "4 auto" in another forum.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was about to say I don't think any Rebel made has the "4 Auto" option anymore. Doesn't matter where they ship to all Rebels are made in Warren, MI so they don't come with a different 4x4 setup option

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was about to say I don't think any Rebel made has the "4 Auto" option anymore. Doesn't matter where they ship to all Rebels are made in Warren, MI so they don't come with a different 4x4 setup option
The Rebel gets the locking transfer case and the others get the auto 4wd the last time I checked.

When I ordered mine I made sure it came with a proper locking transfer case since I actually go off-road with mine. Auto 4WD sounds awesome until you need it. I can't find it now but I seen a video of an auto 4WD truck stuck on ice with one wheel slipping, then stopping, then slipping, ...

Do a youtube search for "AWD vs 4WD" to learn more. Auto 4WD is actually AWD.

·
Registered
426 Posts
4 Wheel auto is also a weaker transfer case. The one we got is not only reinforced but would not have the room to accommodate the 4wd auto. It is slightly bigger, and a lot more money to fix :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just took a look through the brochure I have. Under everything other than the Rebel it says nothing about the 4wd capabilities. I know the Laramie I test drove in Janurary before ordering the Rebel had 4wd auto but it was built in the fall of last year.

It is true that the auto 4wd function is in a weaker transfer case. I wish I could find the video I watched were the truck was in 4wd auto and stuck because one wheel was in a shallow ditch and the other three were on ice. All the wheels would stop and then the wheel with the least traction would slip and rotate about half a turn then it would stop and do it again after a couple of seconds. It really demonstrates the difference between the two systems.

The transfer case shifts damn fast in my Rebel compared to anything I've owned before. My FX-4 took about 4 seconds while shifting on the fly. My Rebel takes about a second. I don't need 4wd auto when I can shift in and out of 4wd that quickly.

The skid plates were an option when I ordered my Rebel. They are better than nothing but not that great. Definitely better than the thin plates Ford put on my '14 FX-4 though.

·
Banned
248 Posts
To all the Canadians in Alberta and around the large forest fire, I wish you all the best and please be safe...
Off top I know but, fire isn't something to play with.
Be safe up there !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok so seeying that I might be the only one with experience with the auto 4wd option on a truck which means not just looking onto the web for discussion but real experience....I will say this. In 4 auto, the truck was great on roads and highways all winter....both winters. In the bush....if you leave it in 4wd auto, then your an idiot as its not made for that so you switch it to the other 2 options that are available. The Rebel's Transfer is better but only because it is supposed to be used off road more then a reg 1500. The other transfer is fine for roads and highways and always performed great and better then most 4x4 vehicles that I have owned other then maybe my son's Taco. ( damn thing is pretty good in snow) The thing i noticed most is when going through a dirve thru at a Timmies to grab a coffee, the 4x4 didn't behave shitty by forcing its wheels to counter power themselves like a true 4x4....unless you were on 4 lock. That system has its purpose just like the Rebel has its more rugged purpose but I wouldn't say one is better then the other just because I own one or the other. That would be a bias thing I guess. I honestly wish they had made the transfer as strong as the Rebel's with that option avail. It would only be an extra option, not a downside at all.

·
Registered
952 Posts
If I go thru Tims with 4x4 on she jumps all over the place, not even 4lo lock. I use 4 lo lock when going on trails here, (no real off roads on PEI), and in heavy snow, 3' or more. I have yet to get the Rebel stuck, and I've gone thru some heavy ****.

Reactions: NeroBoosh

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ok so seeying that I might be the only one with experience with the auto 4wd option on a truck which means not just looking onto the web for discussion but real experience....
You are not the only one with Auto 4WD experience. GMC has had it for years and is the same as I have described. Mud, sand, and dirt are one thing. When you really need real 4WD is when one set of axles are spinning and you need that one wheel to have power.

Like I said in my post above, 4WD Auto is like AWD but selectable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
44-45 on mine, purchased in May in Ontario.

·
Registered
952 Posts
44-45

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you see the word "might" in my post chum? Guess not. But yes excatly what you said but if you have both and you know the difference then no one can ***** about it as they serve different purposes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts