Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

Recently, I had issues with my Rebel leaning to the left. It was nearly 2" lower than the right. I brought it into dealership to complain, they tried to fix it and had my truck for over three weeks. They called and said it was done, so I picked it up and they told me they got specs from Dodge Engineer and it was "within tolerance" and it was level. So, My next step was emailing the head of FCA, CEO of FCA North America. Needless to say my truck was back in the shop at the request of an Executive referral. This time they sent a factory rep out and found that there are alignment screws or bolts on the front end that if the arrows are not lined up properly will cause the suspension to tweak. So they turned those bolts and lined up the arrows and then did another alignment on suspension to check camber, wheel alignment etc. I am just leaving dealership, the lean is gone and I will keep you posted on the ride, as it was very unstable driving before. I have seen many talk about this issue, hope it helps!

Brew

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good afternoon,

Recently, I had issues with my Rebel leaning to the left. It was nearly 2" lower than the right. I brought it into dealership to complain, they tried to fix it and had my truck for over three weeks. They called and said it was done, so I picked it up and they told me they got specs from Dodge Engineer and it was "within tolerance" and it was level. So, My next step was emailing the head of FCA, CEO of FCA North America. Needless to say my truck was back in the shop at the request of an Executive referral. This time they sent a factory rep out and found that there are alignment screws or bolts on the front end that if the arrows are not lined up properly will cause the suspension to tweak. So they turned those bolts and lined up the arrows and then did another alignment on suspension to check camber, wheel alignment etc. I am just leaving dealership, the lean is gone and I will keep you posted on the ride, as it was very unstable driving before. I have seen many talk about this issue, hope it helps!

Brew
Well good. I hope. I hope they have resolved the issue once and for all. I have a 2017 and I guess am lucky because I have had no issues with suspension....so far. Best of luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Glad to hear your issue has been fixed, mine was recently in the dealership getting the air suspension worked on as well. Knock on wood it's fixed for good.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well this woulda been nice to know a few weeks ago when mine started leaning but I talked to a guy about removing the air ride on the ram forums he gave me a part list and everything I'm pretty adamant on removing the air ride since the last thing I need is to get stranded out of town when it finally decides to get cold out here

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have this issue...isn't there a STAR case or report I can reference for the fix?
To my knowledge there isn't one big case to reference as each issue seems to be a little different. When I called FCA I just mentioned that I had read on several forums that it was a commonly reported issue that required the assistance of the Star Engineering department.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update to all...

After My truck has spent over a total of 60 days at the dealership, and FCA sent a factory engineer to fix this, I was told it had been fixed. After waiting a few months to test it, absolutely nothing has changed. I have started the process of filing under the lemon law. The driveability and safety of the truck is my main concern that they cannot fix. I would suggest everyone start doing the same and look into your States lemon law. Maybe if we can all submit paperwork we can force them to fix this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bought my truck used, so I don’t think the lemon law applies.

That said, I had a 2014 Sport with the air suspension that never leaned and had no issues.

I wonder why the Rebels do?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I dropped mine of for the 4th time related to the driver side lean this morning. This time I called RAM prior to taking the truck in.....they assigned me a case number to provide my dealer. They also told me not to pay a dime out of pocket for anything they do today. I just got a call from my dealer stating they did in fact find a ride height was not in spec and manually adjusted the suspension software to fix the lean.

I will update after I see pick it up and see the paper work.

I have been calling RAM customer care multiple times regarding this - the service has been fantastic.

UPDATE 5/14/19

Got the truck back. Each corner of the truck appears to sit level! When parked on a mostly flat surface.

- According to the dealer paper work the RAM tech did in fact manually adjust the suspension software. This was probably only done because I opened a case with RAM directly for this service appointment.

- It was also stated that one of the rear corners was set way to high (from the factory) which was causing the driver side lean.

- It was noted that which ever corner (in the rear) was set to high was causing the truck to have the lean on the drivers side (especially the drivers side front). If I recall correctly this tracks with my measurements. The rear passenger side was easily 2'' higher somedays. sometimes more.

- the difference in height when set to off road mode is MUCH higher on the drivers side now!

lean.JPG

The truck rides drastically better. I did not expect this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I dropped mine of for the 4th time related to the driver side lean this morning. This time I called RAM prior to taking the truck in.....they assigned me a case number to provide my dealer. They also told me not to pay a dime out of pocket for anything they do today. I just got a call from my dealer stating they did in fact find a ride height was not in spec and manually adjusted the suspension software to fix the lean.

I will update after I see pick it up and see the paper work.

I have been calling RAM customer care multiple times regarding this - the service has been fantastic.

UPDATE 5/14/19

Got the truck back. Each corner of the truck appears to sit level! When parked on a mostly flat surface.

- According to the dealer paper work the RAM tech did in fact manually adjust the suspension software. This was probably only done because I opened a case with RAM directly for this service appointment.

- It was also stated that one of the rear corners was set way to high (from the factory) which was causing the driver side lean.

- It was noted that which ever corner (in the rear) was set to high was causing the truck to have the lean on the drivers side (especially the drivers side front). If I recall correctly this tracks with my measurements. The rear passenger side was easily 2'' higher somedays. sometimes more.

- the difference in height when set to off road mode is MUCH higher on the drivers side now!

View attachment 27653
The truck rides drastically better. I did not expect this.

I was looking at my truck earlier, mine leans to the left as well. I have almost 50k on it and its an 2016. Do you think i can do the same you did?
Also if you could be so kind, could you measure the height of the truck in off road mode and the height of your tires? Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi elcalientepapi - I would park you're truck on the flattest surface you can find for about 1hr+. After parking the truck makes adjustments 3xs automatically after the truck is turned off throughout the course of an hour+ .

Have you had the truck looked at before by dealer for the lean? The amount of times your documented the lean with a dealer will likely be a key factor - unless you have the extended warranty. I had my lean on record 4xs. The 5th time I called Ram customer care to setup my dealer appointment. They were extremely helpful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi elcalientepapi - I would park you're truck on the flattest surface you can find for about 1hr+. After parking the truck makes adjustments 3xs automatically after the truck is turned off throughout the course of an hour+ .

Have you had the truck looked at before by dealer for the lean? The amount of times your documented the lean with a dealer will likely be a key factor - unless you have the extended warranty. I had my lean on record 4xs. The 5th time I called Ram customer care to setup my dealer appointment. They were extremely helpful.

No just bought the truck used last year. I dont have extended and i havent taken it to the dealer. I am just worried they are going to charge me a lot of money to mess up my truck. Just measured the truck and on normal mode im:
FL: 36 3/4. FR: 37 1/2

RL: 38 1/4. RR: 39 5/8

·
Registered
38 Posts
So my truck is at the Dealer for a second attempt at fixing the lean. I got it back today and promptly took it right back to the dealer. This time I also made the call to FCA to get the ball rolling on a STAR case or whatever to hopefully get the engineers involved in the fix.

For its first attempt the technicians at Tomball Dodge reset the computer and maybe reprogrammed it, but I'm not real sure. I drove it around and then measured from the center of the fender to the ground and at each setting the left side is repeatedly a half to 3/4 inch lower causing a noticeable lean to the naked eye. Also, when I got the truck back it wouldn't reach the offroad setting anymore.

So here we go again...they had it a week last time...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys, I fixed my leaning air suspension in my 2016 rebel by reprogramming the suspension heights with AlfaOBD. I made a video of how to do it:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts