Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a Facebook group that some of you may enjoy. Just search Ram Rebel Owner Club on facebook. I will add you as quick as I can.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Granted, I won't join anyway because it's facebook, but I don't see the value in a closed group. The value to openness is that people who don't have a Rebel yet can still find information we've shared. If this were to become a closed forum, I'd leave it in a heartbeat. It's good enough that contributors must be granted access individually. That's tighter security than this forum already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I'm quite the opposite, not sure if I would like to participate in an open group, had bad experiences in the past. My take is, someone interested for Rebels would join anyway. I value my privacy...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
This is an open group that you're participating in now. Anyone can join. Also, everyone on the Internet can see anything you post here, they just have to create an account to post anything themselves. And it's anonymous, more so than most facebook activity. The only thing you see in here is pseudonyms people are making up, compared to facebook, where the majority (not all) people tend to use their real names to communicate with their friends/family. A closed group in facebook means no one else outside the group can even see the posts.

People in closed facebook groups can still see other group members, just like you can see other forum members in here. You can also view their facebook pages, if their facebook security configuration permit it. Most facebook users know very little about security, and more often than not they don't turn much of it on at all. So in most ways, facebook is actually less private, even with closed groups, than forums like this.

I have a friend that participated in a facebook group and ended up getting stalked, initially through facebook. The creep that stalked her managed to find out a whole lot about her private life, because he just looked at her page, and pages of other people that were posting to her page. Didn't take him long to find out where she lived, worked, pics of her and her family, her email address, phone number, and more. And all because he didn't like her posts. That was a real nightmare for her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

Indeed you have just summarized above why I prefer closed facebook groups. I fully understand that this forum is open, but since I don't have any sensitive information here, that is all right. Facebook is a different beast, list of friends and all sort of other private information are available there, usually protected by my Facebook privacy settings (i.e. my posts are visible to friends of friends only, etc..). I do not like open facebook groups because literally anyone can see what I post there and I have no control over that. In a closed facebook group it is limited to the group members only.

So I think we are on the same page here ;-) not sure why did you say that you prefer open FB groups over closed ones - as per your earlier post..

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Ok. Truth is I'm a private person for most stuff, and for a lot of the same reasons. But for generalized info on things like trucks, I prefer open (anon) forums because of the openness. I'd rather see lots of info from people I don't necessarily know on trucks, and share info with anyone that's interested in reading it. Creating a closed group in facebook is basically creating a private club, a clique. I don't see the value of that for a pretty small truck community that I'd like to see grow. We have very few active members as it is, I'm worried about it splintering more.

So I'm not advocating an open FB group per se, I'm just saying I see no value at all in a private FB group versus an open group or forum. And since you're not the person limiting the members, and you don't know all the members personally, it's essentially almost as wide open as if it was an open group, for practical "sensitive information" purposes. What prevents them from copying anything you post and putting it somewhere else on the Internet? Sure, there's a perception of control, but it's more of a misconception.

Besides, FB is a shitty forum tool. Especially the history and search mechanisms. No such thing as a sticky post in FB. Or "search." Just start scrolling backwards now, you might find something related to your question by Christmas. :)

I'm also the kind of person to go search the internet for the info I need if I think it's out there rather than post a question in a forum and wait several days for a response.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.