Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how I feel about this......finally got some gauges in the truck....looks like my 7 psi kit is only giving me a constant 3 psi at 5500 RPM....so I'm off to start troubleshooting.......I have an email out to procharger to understand what level of PSI I should expect at 5k RPM to make sure my expectations aren't incorrect. Additionally I don't have enough hands to manually shift and record so I don't have any runs in where I am holding RPMs up to 6500....plus the roads in and around Mexico city were very very busy today.

According to this: 2016 Ram 1500 Rebel | MotorWeek
0-60 performance should be in the 7 second range and 1/4 in the 15 second range.
According to my gauges I am seeing 0-60 in 6 seconds and 1/4 in the 14 second range (0-100 just under 15 according to the data logs)

Obviously this is just stuff from obdII based gauges...but it is a starting point.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Point of reference for your measurement is important here.

An engine intake manifold is usually operating a lower pressure area than the atmospheric pressure level outside the engine. And the faster the engine is running, the lower that pressure will be. It has to be, or it would not pull air through the air cleaner. I had a car that at speed dropped the standard intake pressure to -7psi. Put a 15 lb turbocharger on it, it would boost it to +7/+8 psi inside the intake manifold. That really is a 15 lb boost to the engine's norms. A guy I know argued for 20 minutes that the turbo was bad because it was only bumping it to 7psi.

So all I'm saying is that if you're trying to compare before and after the supercharger, you need to see what your intake pressure was prior to putting on the charger. Then you'll know how much boost you're really getting. All you really see now is how much the boost is raising it above current atmospheric pressure around you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have picked up a mechanical gauge that I should be able to install closer to the compressor for an 'more accurate' reading. Procharger asked me to do this.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have also spend a few hours today re-torquing all the plumbing connections and I even turned my pressure relief valve around (it is a bufferfly valve so it really isn't supported to matter)...but I'll try anything ;)

It is of course raining and dreary here today so no testing possible ;')

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will tell me if the blower is putting out 7psi or not ;). Then I can't figure out if I am loosing it do to a leak in the plumbing, a poorly performing pressure relief valve (my chief suspect at this point), or something else.

It may also quickly lead to a 10 lb pulley ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Continued boost testing in Mexico this afternoon where it is 60 degrees. Some good news....I have found missing PSI...it was hiding in the "TOW/HAUL" switch on the dash. ;) Makes the transmission hold gears longer and the boost stays up.....but only early on 1, 2, 3 (sometimes 4).....it will hold boost at 7 PSI.....then in the higher gears it 'appears' the trans torque management is kicking in still and slowing shifts/pulling throttle which dumps boost....and then...

Then we get into theory...I 'think' that after it pulls the throttle, this is causing a momentary vacuum which is obviously blowing my 'pressure relief' valve open and then it is unable to close fully despite full throttle because of the 7 PSI being put out by the blower. So with this as a working theory...working through what should be the solution for higher gear boost which will probably to purchase/borrow a different race style pressure relief valve......but they are 'supposedly' not happy in non race 7 psi setups like mine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back from Mexico......continuing the procharger performance hunt. Hooking up gauges showed that I routinely was only getting 3-4 PSI at max RPM in higher gears. AKA it would show 6-7 PSI in 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd...after that it would have an audible whooshing sound and never get above 3 PSI in a full throttle pull. The most I got out of it was a 0-60 in the 5.7 range. So I assembled a theory that the trans was pulling throttle because of torque management programming, which was blowing open the butterfly pressure relief valve and then it was never closing again.

So...I did a little experiment (since the valve is not adjustable) and put a little extra tension on it to help it close again....(see photo....'jimmy rigging' for the win). The result....0-60 5.2 and gauges showing 6-7 PSI up through into higher gears and truck was noticeably faster. Fix didn't last though...after 2 pulls like that the 'fix' was sufficiently loosened up that it didn't work anymore. So the final course of action needed.....1. better valve (looking for suggestions) and 2. A tune that handles the trans. Ohhh and happy new year!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One last update for this thread

....found my missing boost in the upper gears. After spending weeks chasing my tail between is it a bad pressure valve, is it the torque management in the trans....I found the root cause of the low boost issue on the Ram....the tensioner pulley was 'frozen' and not working correctly. I took it off again today, clamped it in the vice and worked it over hard with a 2 foot breaker bar to make it move back and forth freely. All kinds of crap was getting pushed out from where the bracket mates to the collar.....I put it back in the car....tightened the crap out of it...and now...well now....driving at 50 if you go WOT it will snap your neck as it throws you back into the seat! 7 PSI through all gears! I had been working with procharger via email troubleshooting but then they said to call tech line....so I did, explained the issue....they are sending me a new tensioner pulley! Pretty great customer service. If/when it ever dries out and I can take some updated video...I will

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.