Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to get the Ram Rebel Facebook going. I like the page for the Ram Eco diesel and they have 50 plus post a day. It would make it easier for us to post pictures and not have 30 plus pages to look through.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We need to get the Ram Rebel Facebook going. I like the page for the Ram Eco diesel and they have 50 plus post a day. It would make it easier for us to post pictures and not have 30 plus pages to look through.
Post the link

Thx

·
Registered
276 Posts
As a forum owner I couldn't disagree more.
Facebook is killing forums.
The structure of a forum is such that specific areas can be created to keep posts uniform and legible, Facebook posts slide down the screen and lose the momentum

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Facebook makes it so much easier and the Eco Diesel forum and Facebook page always have new post on both. I get notifications with the Facebook post and your can be notified on any post. I'm just saying the Eco Diesel page is extremely active on the forum and Facebook. I would rather look down the page, then look through 100 pages to find one thing I am looking for on the forum.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can set up to receive notifications through the forum as well, I'd reverse your argument, I'd rather go directly to the forum area than have to scroll through loads of unwanted Facebook posts to get to the one thing directly that I'm interested in

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not very user friendly without an app that sends notifications like Facebook. You can click directly on the page on Facebook and only see that page. Id rather just be logged into Facebook and be able to see the 3 plus pages about Ram instead of having to log on here every time to see one. I'm not saying that the Facebook page take over this forum. It would just be nice for people to post at least pics of their builds on there. The Facebook is just nicer because you see all the new post and on the forum you see all the old post first. It will not be long and you will have to read 100 pages to find anything out on this forum on one post.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, I find the forums very intuitive and save me scrolling down a massive amount of posts on top of each other in a meaningless fashion.
To be able to click on the forum and then to simply click on Active Topics to see if there has been a response to a particular thread I'm interested in is way better, to me, than trawling past every post in Facebook.
Anyway, each to their own :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Also Facebook chooses what you get to see and what you don't. You will miss posts on a Facebook page because they do all the picking, choosing and thinking for you based on an algorithm. I stopped using Facebook once I realized I was missing posts from friends and family which were important to me. If you look at your feed long enough even what you were looking at changes over time. Facebook is for people who want to be spoon fed and/or don't care if they miss something instead of a forum where it is a repository of information.

Facebook also censors your own posts. I've had posts disappear with no warning or reason given. Facebook is garbage.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Facebook also doesn't allow for searching through a feed for specific words. Learn to use the search in the forums and it'll make life easier on you. Also, this is a community not a feed where someone is dictating how you see information. Think any real car/truck owner that works on it themselves is too going to use some forum where they can interact with like minded enthusiast over a single line social media feed.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I agree with all the points on why not to use Facebook, but I have another point, as well. I use my full real name in fb, but I only share stuff with direct friends and family. I do this for various security reasons. Fb collects data based on the things you "like" and participate in, and based on the actual texts of your comments. Fb then sells that data to other companies. They also sell it as a service by tuning advertisements to you. So if someone posts a funny link to a condom site and you "like" it you've increased the odds that your advertising is going to include condoms down the road.

And all that gets crosslinked elsewhere in fb. Remember a year or so back when they started sharing "likes" as endorsements with friends? So if you "liked" something, your friends would get notices that you were endorsing a product... Granted, fb stopped doing that after a lot of outcry. But you have very clear evidence that fb will make decisions which might be harmful to you and only reverse them with huge public outcry.

And finally, I choose not to have my real, full name associated with products. Unless I'm accepting compensation to endorse them. They want my money for their products, they can also pay me to endorse them.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I agree with all the points on why not to use Facebook, but I have another point, as well. I use my full real name in fb, but I only share stuff with direct friends and family. I do this for various security reasons. Fb collects data based on the things you "like" and participate in, and based on the actual texts of your comments. Fb then sells that data to other companies. They also sell it as a service by tuning advertisements to you. So if someone posts a funny link to a condom site and you "like" it you've increased the odds that your advertising is going to include condoms down the road.

And all that gets crosslinked elsewhere in fb. Remember a year or so back when they started sharing "likes" as endorsements with friends? So if you "liked" something, your friends would get notices that you were endorsing a product... Granted, fb stopped doing that after a lot of outcry. But you have very clear evidence that fb will make decisions which might be harmful to you and only reverse them with huge public outcry.

And finally, I choose not to have my real, full name associated with products. Unless I'm accepting compensation to endorse them. They want my money for their products, they can also pay me to endorse them.
Amen! Modern social media is step one towards the movie Idiocracy

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It's not very user friendly without an app that sends notifications like Facebook. You can click directly on the page on Facebook and only see that page. Id rather just be logged into Facebook and be able to see the 3 plus pages about Ram instead of having to log on here every time to see one. I'm not saying that the Facebook page take over this forum. It would just be nice for people to post at least pics of their builds on there. The Facebook is just nicer because you see all the new post and on the forum you see all the old post first. It will not be long and you will have to read 100 pages to find anything out on this forum on one post.
Actually, you're not quite right about this. Once you login to this forum, click on New Posts. It pops up a list of all posts since the last time you logged in. It sorts them by most recent. It shows the thread name, but if you click on it, it takes you to the entry in the thread you haven't read yet. So if there are 8 pages to a thread and you've seen the first 5, it will take you to page 6. If you've been out of forum for a month, it still works that way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As a forum owner I couldn't disagree more.
Facebook is killing forums.
The structure of a forum is such that specific areas can be created to keep posts uniform and legible, Facebook posts slide down the screen and lose the momentum
Couldn't agree more. Facebook is great for showing off that lasts 5 mintues or whatever... but its terrible for finding any information. The ability to search the history of my activity log is great, but it never works. It finds what I'm looking for about 1% of the time. The forums on the other hand can find info that is 10 years old.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
...snip... The Facebook is just nicer because you see all the new post and on the forum you see all the old post first. It will not be long and you will have to read 100 pages to find anything out on this forum on one post.
Actually, you're not quite right about this. Once you login to this forum, click on New Posts. It pops up a list of all posts since the last time you logged in. It sorts them by most recent. It shows the thread name, but if you click on it, it takes you to the entry in the thread you haven't read yet. So if there are 8 pages to a thread and you've seen the first 5, it will take you to page 6. If you've been out of forum for a month, it still works that way.
Okay aw023, you marked that you disagree with my post. That post was just documenting how the forum software works, which is opposite of what you claimed. So what part do you disagree with? I reviewed it and I'm pretty sure my explanation is accurate.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ram Rebel Forum

found this different Facebook page too.
Seriously, though, that's not a facebook page at all. It's the only other Rebel forum I know about. Neither is associated with fb. They do allow you to use your fb account to authenticate and then probably share some data with fb. They can't do that if you login with a non-fb id.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts