Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done or thought of doing a rear entertainment system. I've got 2 kiddos I'd like to keep happy so I can enjoy the ride that much more.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Back in the days when such things didn't exist, we used to make "car bingo" sheets for the kids on trips. Simple drawings of things to watch for, like water towers, semi trucks, vw beetles, horses, and stop signs. Whichever kid called out seeing an item first got credit for it. So if more than one had water towers, only one water tower would get counted off at a time. As they got older, we progressed to harder stuff. Adding words. They had to start searching for purple semis, three SUVs in a row with no cars between them, or Cracker Barrel signs, for example. When they were 12+ we introduced roadkill bingo. They had to know the difference between dead deer, raccoons, squirrels, and opossums. Plus, I would randomly call out seeing something, so they couldn't get credit for it. This would keep them occupied for hours. If you do a 5x5 sheet of drawings, it can take a while of watching to get a bingo. We also did "I Spy" a lot.

They invented their own games, too. Like shared stories. One would write a sentence on a pad, then pass it on to the next, who had to add a sentence of their own that made sense in the story line. Eventually one gets stumped and then has to read the story out loud. When you have 3+ kids, that gets pretty funny. Silence, punctuated by random laughter, can last an hour or two easily.

One advantage of doing this, besides the obvious cost savings, was that it helped keep me alert, too. Someone has to referee but it just became part of the fun for the kids.

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might have to give that a shot. I just can't let the little rugrats touch them, one's 5 and the other's 2, so instant destruction on anything valuable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
FireMedic... any chance of getting a few pictures from further back? I'd like to see how much room that thing takes up when down / up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Awesome. I'm thinking anything larger than that might be too big.
Honestly it's not too big at all. Plenty big to view for the kids and not in the way at all. Any one mounted there will obstruct rear view some. It works great, has two headphones, sound can be played via stereo, and I use my mobile hotspot to stream to a Roku stick for longer trips

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok, so here's where I'm at....

1. Alpine has a 10.2" ceiling mount for $550. Advantage - Sound system is Alpine, would appear to be more "stock". Disadvantage is it's $220 more, and smaller than the other ceiling mounts.

2. Audiovox has a 13" ceiling mount for $330. Advantage - Larger screen and price. Disadvantage would be that rear view mirror rendered useless while kids watching a movie - side mirrors make that not such a big deal.

3. Audiovox has two 9" headrest dvd players for $500. Advantage - Kids can watch what they want. Disadvantage is that while it comes in black, it doesn't match that well with the rest of the interior mainly because of the stitching on the Rebel interior.

I'm leaning towards the 13" ceiling mount (there is a 15" one someplace on amazon that got good reviews, but that might be too big) - but I can definitely see the advantage to the headrest DVD players.

Opinions?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just found 11.6" that mount to the head rest poles (detachable)... might be better for a less permanent option.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.