Ram Rebel Forum banner

Which rear end to you have?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm just curious to see if there are many Rebel owners out there running the 3.21 rear ends. I purchased my rig off of the dealer lot and wound up with it as an added option. I wasn't wild about the idea at first because it sounded a little weak for a truck. I don't do any serious off-roading or towing too often so I figured I'd go with it. Now that I've had the truck for a little while I have to say that I'm happy with the rear. Pairing that ratio with the eight speed transmission seems to be a good combination. I don't think it sacrifices too much pulling power and it adds nicely to the gas mileage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I went with the 3.92 only because when we were going thru the options at the dealership it would not allow us to choose the 3.21 along with the limited slip diff. The limited slip diff is a lot more important to me than a couple mpg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Considering the 8 speed transmission with 2 overdrive ratio's, I doubt there would be a major difference in mileage. The limited slip diff was a must have, and I will be towing with mine, so I was sure to get the 3.92's.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I ordered 3.92. I noticed that it wasn't listed on the build sheet but the "anti-slip differential" is. That's good to know that the LSD is the 3.92 gear ratio.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Vehicle was already on the lot when we bought it, however, it already had the 3.92 and limited slip diff, i would have specced it that way given the choice

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Didn't think 3.21 was available with the hemi
It is. More in line with 4x4 vs 4x2. 4X4 can get either but 4x2 can't get the 3.92. or that's the way it was when I bought my last ram.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It is. More in line with 4x4 vs 4x2. 4X4 can get either but 4x2 can't get the 3.92. or that's the way it was when I bought my last ram.
OK. I was shopping bighorns when I finally said f it and bought what I really wanted. The bighorn that I wanted to build was with a 3.55 rear end I believe.

·
Registered
332 Posts
All in all what is better with the Hemi?
With anti slip rear axel
If you can choose the gear ratio with the LSD it depends on if you are one of those who buys a truck and then worries about milage (3.21) or buys a truck and uses it as a truck (3.92).

The HEMI is more than capable of making this truck perform no matter the rear end. Modern engine designs are very efficient compared to even 10 years ago.
  • 3.92 will give you more torque, easier and faster acceleration, and a lower crawl ratio. A little better performance.
  • 3.21 will give you that little bit of less rpm at highway speeds. A little better fuel economy.
This, like anything else on a forum, is my opinion and your experience may vary depending on what you need/want your truck to do. "Best" or "better" is a relative term and depends on a lot of factors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can choose the gear ratio with the LSD it depends on if you are one of those who buys a truck and then worries about milage (3.21) or buys a truck and uses it as a truck (3.92).

The HEMI is more than capable of making this truck perform no matter the rear end. Modern engine designs are very efficient compared to even 10 years ago.
  • 3.92 will give you more torque, easier and faster acceleration, and a lower crawl ratio. A little better performance.
  • 3.21 will give you that little bit of less rpm at highway speeds. A little better fuel economy.
This, like anything else on a forum, is my opinion and your experience may vary depending on what you need/want your truck to do. "Best" or "better" is a relative term and depends on a lot of factors.
Definitely agree Circuitjc. In the end I'll admit I would really rather have the 3.92 with limited slip. Unfortunately the 3.21 was already included as an option on mine (one of the few I guess). Luckily I don't really have anything I have to tow right now and so far, in all of my off-roading adventures, the RAM has handled just fine. I've been able to keep up with my Jeep Rubicon friends just fine (not that we're rock crawling or anything).

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Definitely agree Circuitjc. In the end I'll admit I would really rather have the 3.92 with limited slip. Unfortunately the 3.21 was already included as an option on mine (one of the few I guess). Luckily I don't really have anything I have to tow right now and so far, in all of my off-roading adventures, the RAM has handled just fine. I've been able to keep up with my Jeep Rubicon friends just fine (not that we're rock crawling or anything).
Okay, you need to provide more info on this. Keeping up with Rubis? Sounds great. Need details. Yes, details. And pics. Definitely pics. Submit a couple to the monthly contest, too. PIcs, yeah, we need those...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, just for clarification, I should've tempered my previous comment regarding "keeping up with Rubicons". I'm not implying an off-road capability comparable to any tricked out Jeeps. I'm only saying that while tooling around the back trails (some BLM land east of Temecula), I wasn't having any problems. These trails aren't any high degree of difficulty but they keep you busy. I'm not pre-running Baja, just getting where I need/want to go. I'll post some pics next time I head out there.

·
Registered
332 Posts
When the manager at the dealer seen my order sheet he commented on the 3.92 rear end and said how the HEMI really performs with it. In 2-3 weeks I will be finding out for myself.

I am a member of OF4WD (Ontario Federation of 4wd enthusiasts). I took my full size truck on a run last summer and everyone laughed at me at the start. By the end of it no one was laughing and everyone was wondering how it did what it did. Only mod is a small lift/level and tires. I'm sure the Rebel will be even that much more capable. I'd post a pic but I don't want to dirty up this forum with more FX-4 pictures. :cool:

And yeah, there were Rubicons in the line. There was also a Unimog so I wasn't worried about extraction if needed. I intend to take my Rebel there this summer and do the same thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a rare 3:92 seemed all the rebels I looked at had the 3:21
I pull a 30ft travel trailer so the 3:92 was a must have for me

·
Registered
67 Posts
They must have changed bc I'm working with a 2015 4x2 and 3.92 with LSD and pulling a 24ft Robalo w/ twin 150's and bottom paint. My wife commented the other day on how much less she felt the boat compared to my old 2004 Hemi with no LSD, which was a nightmare coming out of the water until I changed to some AT's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts