Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Recently have a new Rebel. About a month or so ago i noticed that the left side of the truck sits lower than the right side. I tried various tests at all suspension levels (entry/exit, aero, normal, off road) and all produced same results. About 2 inches lower on driver side.

I took it to dealership and they did not initially believe me until they started testing and measuring themselves. They finally confirmed there is a issue and that it should not be doing that. They had no idea what is causing or how to fix and said they had to reach out to Chrysler Engineering.
Note: they did try an air suspension reset, but that did not work

They recently got back to me and stated it is starting to be a more reported issue, however still no fix. I have to take it back to them this week as they want to take more precise measurements.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any fixes that you are aware of?

·
Registered
255 Posts
The issue withe the adjustable links is it may void the warranty...and the air suspension is one thing I would NOT want to void the warranty on.

I could be wrong on getting different links...but it would be something to check out before you start changing things up on the suspension. Dodge may just decide not to fix it if the problem persists after the stuff is changed.

Charbs...good luck and keep us updated. Mine seems to sit level and now that you've mentioned this problem I'll be measuring my Rebel to be safe.

Reactions: zim

·
Registered
127 Posts
The air suspension was one of the big reasons I decided to get the lifetime warranty since I tend to keep my trucks for a long time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Try changing the links from side to side and see if the problem switches sides? For there to be 2 full inches difference from 1 side to the other on both front and rear, my money is on the links being mixed up i.e. Both fronts on 1 side and both rears on the other? You could always go adjustable links and change them out when you go in for service.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Try changing the links from side to side and see if the problem switches sides? For there to be 2 full inches difference from 1 side to the other on both front and rear, my money is on the links being mixed up i.e. Both fronts on 1 side and both rears on the other? You could always go adjustable links and change them out when you go in for service.
This makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So... how are you / they measuring this? I could swear mine was sitting a hair lower on the passenger side, but my driveway has dips and bumps all over so I'm not sure... forget to look when I'm out and about. Maybe put a level in the garage and then the bed of the truck to see if it's the same? My problem is my rebel doesn't fit in my garage... doors are too low and the truck is too long to lower it, pull it in and then raise it. Hafta figure something out.

IMHO, keep taking it back to the dealer until they fix it. That way you have a documented history that something is wrong and if they ever do address the issue they can't try to wiggle out of fixing yours. Crooked sitting trucks should be a priority though... it's extremely bad publicity you'd think that they want resolved ASAP.

Reactions: zim

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm gonna have to measure my Rebel and see if it's even. I've noticed that one side seems to sit a little lower than the other. I'll check my girlfriend's Rebel too. Hopefully they are able to diagnose the problem and come up with a good solution soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So... how are you / they measuring this? I could swear mine was sitting a hair lower on the passenger side, but my driveway has dips and bumps all over so I'm not sure... forget to look when I'm out and about. Maybe put a level in the garage and then the bed of the truck to see if it's the same? My problem is my rebel doesn't fit in my garage... doors are too low and the truck is too long to lower it, pull it in and then raise it. Hafta figure something out.

IMHO, keep taking it back to the dealer until they fix it. That way you have a documented history that something is wrong and if they ever do address the issue they can't try to wiggle out of fixing yours. Crooked sitting trucks should be a priority though... it's extremely bad publicity you'd think that they want resolved ASAP.
I am taking it in tomorrow to the dealership. I have been measuring from the tires to fender flare and the exhaust tips to the ground. I did ensure I was on perfectly level ground. First time at the dealer they confirmed it was noticeably lower on driver side. They (dealership) called me to bring it n tomorrow to take measurements for Chrysler engineering.
I will take some pictures and share the difference.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am taking it in tomorrow to the dealership...They (dealership) called me to bring it n tomorrow to take measurements for Chrysler engineering.
Any update? I took my 2018 into the dealer middle of last week, and they confirmed the driver side rear was sitting low. (It was about 2" low when I brought it in, but it varies between about 5/8" and 2-¼" based on the times I've measured.)

They replaced the module that controls the air ride system, and called me to come get the truck... but explained that it's still off, and that they've escalated to Ram Engineering. They also noted that they evaluated another 2018 Rebel that had just come in, and that the other one was also sitting low on the driver side rear by the exact same amount. No follow up yet with any additional insight from Ram Engineering.

Since they replaced the module, my truck seems to be more consistently off now - about 5/8" lower on the driver side rear. But oddly, the whole truck sits higher now...almost like I'm driving around in off road mode. From what my service guy said, it's possible to manually adjust the height values in the system, but apparently it can only be done by Ram Engineering after all other options are exhausted. I suppose adjustable links may be a good "home remedy" approach to get a similar fix.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am really not enjoying how many of you guys are having these issues. I, as I mentioned in another post, bought mine thinking that air suspension had been around long enough for it to be better than this by now. If I have any of these issues my wife is going to FREAK OUT! She was extremely worried about it being an issue and I will never live this down if ours gets thes problems.
I can not believe that RAM has seen so many of you guys with the same problems and “can’t find the issue”. Even worse. They keep producing vehicles with the same problems. How ridiculous.

Now I have to go out and measure mine in the rain to see how mine sits. Thank you all for supplying us with the info of the issues.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Lol. Seriously though. Shouldn’t I know? Or they can’t fix it anyway so just leave it?
For me, I noticed that from behind it looked crooked the day I brought home the truck... So after a few days of scratching my head, I had to check it out and measure it.

If it hasn't caught your eye as looking crooked, I wouldn't bother measuring. Just keep an eye on this thread, and if we get a good fix, then maybe measure... and of it's off, then no worries because you can just bring it in and get the fix.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We have a good fix, adjustable links. You can literally dial it in to the mm. Adjustable links will not affect your warranty, you can level the truck both side to side and front to back, they are cheap if you build your own ($45 in parts from grainier), and take less than an hour to build and install. My time is worth far more to me than repeated trips to the dealer who won't fix it anyway.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think I was in a thread about these before. I will look them up. Do they affect the ride height of the different settings? ie. do all 4 settings still work and does it make the truck higher?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well here is my update from the dealer.
. " Think we may have found the issue. There are set parameters in the system for ride height. Rick (my #1 guy that has been looking at yours) happened to be at the training head quarters Monday and Tuesday, and spoke to one of the big wigs personally about it. He told us to check the preset parameters, and if they were entered incorrectly, showed Rick how to go in and rewrite the parameters. "
Apparently this has fixed the issue, however I am just picking my truck back up tonight and will be able to confirm for sure.

·
Registered
288 Posts
well here is my update from the dealer.
. " Think we may have found the issue. There are set parameters in the system for ride height. Rick (my #1 guy that has been looking at yours) happened to be at the training head quarters Monday and Tuesday, and spoke to one of the big wigs personally about it. He told us to check the preset parameters, and if they were entered incorrectly, showed Rick how to go in and rewrite the parameters. "
Apparently this has fixed the issue, however I am just picking my truck back up tonight and will be able to confirm for sure.

That’s how they fixed my ‘16. They had to open a STAR case to figure it out, which got the engineers involved. Once that happened, they had no issue leveling it out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It would have been a year and a half ago, at least. That was about the only part of that POS truck still worked, when FCA gave me the '18 I have now.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts