Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having a problem with Sand getting tossed everywhere under my hood I needed to fabricate a plate to knock down the high peeks in the center of the soft sand trails. I used a lid from a diamond plate tool box lid that was found in the trash years ago. With a sawsall, a large adjustable wrench, nuts bolts and a few hours of time, I was able to install a solid belly pan to deflect some Sand from rebounding up under the hood. I drilled just two 3/16 holes in the lower lip of the bumper. There are 4 nuts and bolts that hold it in place, the other holes were already there. The other addition to the Rebel is a rod rack to transport large surf casting rods to keep them from getting damaged in the bed or the cab. This bed rail rack is made from 2x6s and some 2x3s a few nuts and bolts some satin black paint and Rebel decals with Dodge Ram badges. This 2x6 riser allows me to use the factory bed cover and with some camper foam tape it's rain ready. NOW, TO THE BEACH!!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the belly pan! You should give us template so I can make on
Well I could give the dimensions I used but for the most part this was done in my front yard with a sawsall, 3 lb. hammer, a large crescent wrench and a block of wood. Also will need to give it a test run before i start mass production. It's useless to me if it does not do its job.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks like a nice install. Do you think it will impede engine cooling especially during beach driving or towing? I was just out looking underneath mine and all I can figure is that the nose really dug in somehow. Still wondering if driving in Offroad limited shock travel and you just nosed in a bit. At any rate have a good weekend fishing and let us know how it all worked out.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I'm wondering what I'm missing here.
It's sand.

I'm assuming you never been to the beach on a nice sunny day, barefoot and all.

I'm assuming you all think that sand can be contained, and not get into anything...

The fact that some of your are scratching your head and wonder how sand got into his engine compartment is just amusing to me and delightfully amusing.

I'm still loving the belly pan contraption and want one. Maybe it will help in keeping the normal city grim and dirt out of engine compartment .....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the delay as I am not on line often. Here is what you are missing. First off the sand in the Northeast tends to be soft and deep. You must let air out to gain the snowshoe effect, staying on top and reducing resistance. Also full tires will dig then climb repeating over and over creating a washboard effect in soft sand making a mess for anybody behind you. Yes I can travel without airing down but it's a courtesy and a respect for your truck. Now as for Sand. My complaint was Sand all in my engine compartment. All my previous 4x4 vehicles about 7, Never had Sand tossed all over under the hood. So I feel Strongly that Dodge dropped the ball by not adding a stock belly plate when I did a well controlled experiment finding Solid results to show a massive improvement by adding a simple plate. Keep in mind as an Expert, ( your title). these are elite off road specific vehicles. I could argue my 2,500. oo Jeep Cherokee was better suited for beach travel. Always thanks for your input and response. I have read many previous posts learning great things from all who post, So even negative information advances what are goals are... We want the Best Truck out there!! Thx. Scott.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.