Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new member to the forum and am really enjoying the site so far... looking to buy a Rebel by the end of the year, but I’ve heard talks of RAM releasing 2018 Rebels with an ecodiesel option. Definitely want a diesel if i can get one but I can’t find any hard evidence to back that up. Does anyone have an info about that? Maybe the 3.0L will be an option for 2019s?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was told to steal clear of the eco-diesel. It is NOT made by Cummins. They are Fiat made. The source I have is a millwright and has restored a few of his own vehicles ( from rust and frame). He is very knowledgeable and I would take his word on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told to steal clear of the eco-diesel. It is NOT made by Cummins. They are Fiat made. The source I have is a millwright and has restored a few of his own vehicles ( from rust and frame). He is very knowledgeable and I would take his word on it.
Is it a durability issue? Cummins Diesel engines are legendary, but if RAM is putting a fiat made diesel in its line up alongside its Cummins doesn’t that speak to their level of engineering? I guess I’m just wondering if there’s any reason to not trust the fiat made engines... breaking down more easily, etc. thanks for the advice

·
Registered
556 Posts
Is it a durability issue? Cummins Diesel engines are legendary, but if RAM is putting a fiat made diesel in its line up alongside its Cummins doesn’t that speak to their level of engineering? I guess I’m just wondering if there’s any reason to not trust the fiat made engines... breaking down more easily, etc. thanks for the advice
I didn’t get the whole story. I can inquire with him more. I would assume that it is not up to the weight of the vehicle. I will ask more questions

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Does the 6 cyl Eco diesel tow just as much as the hemi... Or more? Trying to wrap my axles around why the Eco diesel would be a better option.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Over on Ramforum.com the Ecodiesel is a mixed bag. Some people no problems. Some people...9 months in the shop, full engine replacement and more.

You may get better mileage but there is a higher initial cost and much higher maintenance costs. Just a guess...you'd be looking at 3-4 years to make up the difference (in gas costs).

Its personal preference. If it was me I wouldn't buy one. If I was going to buy a diesel I'd get a 2500 with the Cummins. But thats me. Its your money...spend it the way you want.

If you're really looking for better mileage you'd be best off with the Pentastar V-6 in a regular 1500 (Bighorn/Laramie, etc). That is a great engine, great mileage (25-27+) on the highway and reasonable power (300hp) along with lower costs. If you're not doing much towing get the 3.21 gears and you're mileage will be near the Ecodiesel....and a huge cost savings.

One thing....if you do buy one...do NOT go without a full extended warranty. You'll want the entire engine covered for 100K miles at the minimum.

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes it is a durability issue, the lack of durability.

FCA offers lifetime extended warranty on hemis and other engines but NOT on their eco diesel. Wonder why? Durability.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts