Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I do like my Dodge Rebel, but I am in a dilemma on it's reliability as a quality truck and Dodges Values as a Corporation.

I am boggled that Dodge does not have a recall on a "Known Issue" with their suspension system that keeps failing.

I bought a New 2018 Dodge Ram Rebel and I have put 46K on this truck with all highway miles (with no towing or extreme wait) and the 40 amp fuse kept popping. When I had the deal look at the truck they said the compressor and system needed to be replaced. This will cost $3K to replace and is not covered and not on a recall list, then they call back to say that the rear air bags need to be replaced.

This really bogles my mind and Dodge should have addressed this issue years ago (check postings around the world in this issue) and put out a good "American" product and stand behind their work instead of pushing it off on the customers to pay the bill; "do not be like China"!

(At this point this product is only good for 45K then brake out your wallets or turn them over at 36K)

Again this has been and on going issue and should be addressed and take care of your supporters "The Customers" with American Pride. Stand above all others and bring your warranty's to min 50K!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Ah geez, you bought a dodge rebel? You sure? Go look on your tail gate and see what it reads. It's 3 big bold letters on the tail gate. Can't miss it.

As for "known issues" what does that mean? Every car/ truck and dodges have known issues, that's why they have a huge warehouse full of parts that are "known" to fail. As for your particular problem with the air suspension, it sucks that it happened outside of the warranty period, however did you take advantage of the extended bumper warranty provided at signing of said new truck? It gives you an additional 3 year bumper to bumper warranty.... for an additional 3k ....ah the irony.
If the air suspension is the only problem you have, i would think overall it's not bad and at a dealer cost of 3k for replacing entire air ride system it's actually pretty good if you ask me. Plus you get 12 month warranty with it?
As for all that other jibberjabber, I'm not sure if i agree or disagree but i can relate to your frustration and not sure if your expectations are that everything should be American made and last forever...... or.... something else. On the flip side, you have a great Mexican/ Canadian made dodge..... enjoy it! On a double flip side, you should check out the new RAM trucks. They look sweet and probably have the air ride system figured out by now and fixed the known issues as compared to dodge's....pfffff. good luck brother.... it gets better....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hmmm...this post lacks a suspicious amount of detail.

Dodge? never heard of it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just passed 80k on the way to Vegas this week. I’ve owned the truck since new. 2017, adjustable links since 500 miles. 35’s since 45k miles. Some towing, a fair amount of over weight hauling, one 80mile trip at 3 times the rated payload, lots of off roading, some small jumps, 100mph in the dirt on more than one occasion and not a single mechanical issue including the air suspension. I believe RAM has sold over 750k 1500’s with this system and of course those of you that have problems are going to be loud about it, but what do you honestly think the failure rate is? The freezing drain on the compressors might rise to a “known issue” label in places with extreme climates, but even that isn’t common enough to rise to warranting a recall. Your compressor failure might be the 3rd one I’ve read about in 3 years on this forum that wasn’t freezing related. Yes it sucks, yes it’s expensive, and yes you can replace the air ride with traditional spring suspension for that price. Mechanical failures happen, sometimes prematurely. That is why there are warranty periods, optional extended warranties,etc. The 2019and up models are available without the air ride if that’s your preference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue with the 40 amp fuse on my 2018 Rebel. I had it in the dealer 3 times in 2 months. They checked the entire suspension system and found no leaks and the compressor was operating fine. All they did was replace the blown fuse each time and the suspension would work fine for a week or two. I spoke with a mechanic that worked at the dealer and he told me he steers all his friends and family away from any FCA product that has air suspension. He said it is known to fail in the winter ( I live in the Chicagoland area) and they have at least one truck in a month with air suspension issues.

After the 40 amp fuse blew twice in one week, I traded it in for a 2019 Rebel with coil overs. I am happy with my choice as now I do not have to worry about the truck riding on bump stops every time I use it.

I agree with some of the posts on here that the owners with problems will be the loudest about it. That being said, I will never purchase another another FCA product with air suspension.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really like my 2017 rebel. But, the air suspension compression had to be replaced at 10,000 miles. Garage truck and temps were in the 70s when it went. No off road and/or off blacktop. If that is the only thing that goes wrong still a happy camper. I got in on the lifetime warranty just before they stopped selling it. I am older and plan on keeping the truck unless I step up to a 2500/3500 one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ah geez, you bought a dodge rebel? You sure? Go look on your tail gate and see what it reads. It's 3 big bold letters on the tail gate. Can't miss it.

As for "known issues" what does that mean? Every car/ truck and dodges have known issues, that's why they have a huge warehouse full of parts that are "known" to fail. As for your particular problem with the air suspension, it sucks that it happened outside of the warranty period, however did you take advantage of the extended bumper warranty provided at signing of said new truck? It gives you an additional 3 year bumper to bumper warranty.... for an additional 3k ....ah the irony.
If the air suspension is the only problem you have, i would think overall it's not bad and at a dealer cost of 3k for replacing entire air ride system it's actually pretty good if you ask me. Plus you get 12 month warranty with it?
As for all that other jibberjabber, I'm not sure if i agree or disagree but i can relate to your frustration and not sure if your expectations are that everything should be American made and last forever...... or.... something else. On the flip side, you have a great Mexican/ Canadian made dodge..... enjoy it! On a double flip side, you should check out the new RAM trucks. They look sweet and probably have the air ride system figured out by now and fixed the known issues as compared to dodge's....pfffff. good luck brother.... it gets better....
I bought a 2017 Rebel in April 2020, I live in Muskoka Ontario, So Yes We get Cold Weather. I first got a warning on my dash, so I called Dodge said the issue and it said to service suspension IMMEDIATELY So I Did. Took it in next a.,m paid $206 for them to tell me they cant see anything and the dash warning is no longer there. Watch it when/if it happens again bring it back. 1 week later off to work, - 11 outside and my driver side tire was almost down on the frame, WTF??? Back to Dodge I go the whole drive I was Bouncing the whole way there, THIS IS NUTS. So Dodge changed the fuse and i got a compressor. $607 for fix. The very Next day off I go driving and my truck starts saying "cant select ride, Payload restriction. then next thing i know the truck starts lowering, then raising, when it was done my Truck was on a tilt, the opposite side, rear is lifted front end down,, Major difference in each tire height. this is so maddening , frustrating and not to mention a MONEY PIT.

Dodge needs to RECALL the REBEL and get their **** together. So here i am in the Dodge showroom using the computer to research and trouble shoot. I mean after so many attempts to fix the same issue you would think they would see there is a big problem with Suspension on The REBELS . I wonder how much they will Bleed me for now.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Rebel Rambox
210 Posts
I should make a sticky with answers for all the unfortunate folks with the air suspension smh.
I wasn’t really happy dodge offered this in the first place, I knew it would be a reliability issue right off the bat, on an otherwise beefy truck.
the Keep It Simple Method applies here, the air ride has too much to break and the rubber air bags will last about as long as a set of tires if they are of good quality.

if you want info about air ride systems, stop and talk to a diesel mechanic.
or anyone who drives truck in cold climates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts