Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a Sport and a Rebel on the weekend. Both 2017 and both had a Hemi, the Sport had 3.21 and 20" wheels with city tires (P275/60R20) while the Rebel had 3.93 and 17" wheels with off-road tires (LT285/70R17E). Air suspension on the Rebel only too.

It may have just been my imagination, but the Sport seemed much faster to accelerate and a smoother ride on the highway. Is this due to the lower numerical rear axle differential and the larger wheels? I'm pretty sure the off-road treads on the Rebel are what made that ride seem a little rougher, but the dealer couldn't tell me the difference otherwise.

I've never owned a truck before so this is all new to me. Appreciate any help understanding this...

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is my opinion with some facts. I came out of Laramie into the Rebel so I may be able to explain somethings for you.

The 20" wheel and 17" wheels both have the same 33" tires so there is no difference in actual tire size. Actually I believe the Rebel Toyo tires are 32.8" and the Goodyear tires on the sport should be exactly 33". There maybe some slight variation in actual tire sizes, depends on the tire. The wheel diameter has nothing to do with the tire size.

Explaining acceleration is a little more difficult. The 3.92 gears in the Rebel is a lower gear ratio which should provide slightly better acceleration. The Sport maybe a little lighter weight wise but both should be fairly equal. Pulling a load is where the real difference is, the 3.92 gear in the Rebel will outshine the 3.21 gear ratio in the Sport.

The ride difference is probably due to the air suspension of the Rebel. It is 1" higher than the Sport. Its hard to beat the ride of the RAM coiled suspension. Both have their strong points and weaknesses. I have noticed a ride difference when the Rebel is in Aero mode vs Normal mode (normal is a little higher lift than Aero mode) . The handling now is slightly in the favor of the sport due to the 20" wheel tire/combo having a smaller side wall height vs the Rebel's 17" wheel /tire combo.

What are you looking for in a truck?

Both trucks are similar but they are also different. Appearance packages are very different. The Sport can be bought a little cheaper than the Rebel. Both can be purchased with V8 or V6, 2wd or 4wd and both can come with either 3.21 gears or 3.92 gears. Rebel only comes in crew cab.

For me having a 4wd and I do tow, I prefer the 3.92 gear. Also I purchased the Rebel because of it has more of an off road attitude but the Sport is a beautiful truck and can be configured with everything the Rebel has except the appearance package.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
For me having a 4wd and I do tow, I prefer the 3.92 gear. Also I purchased the Rebel because of it has more of an off road attitude but the Sport is a beautiful truck and can be configured with everything the Rebel has except the appearance package.
Actually, not. There are a couple of things on the Rebel that are not available on the Sport, although you could get them from Mopar and change them yourself. You get the Borg Warner 44-45 transfer case, a step up from the 44-44 used in the Sport and other 4x4 models. The 44-45 is only available on the Rebel and the Outdoorsman, iirc. Also the Rebel comes with a softer rear stabilizer bar for offroad suspension articulation, not available as an option on any of the other models, to my knowledge.'.
Again, doesn't mean you can't add them on your own. But then, you can also dress up a Sport as a Rebel or a Rebel as a Sport if you add all your own parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

One thing I forgot to mention is both trucks were 4x4 too.

I'd like a truck that can handle off-road going to the cottage (lots of steep hills too) and be able to pull a boat and eventually maybe a decent sized camper. Let's be honest though, the majority of the use will be city driving with no hauling. Needs to be able to handle rough Canadian winters too (which I've heard bad things about the air suspension and colder weather). Both trucks are great looking trucks too, the Sport was even the limited edition with Ignition Orange and black trim package.

What I was trying to understand though is why the Sport seemed more responsive for acceleration and powerful, when they're basically the same under the hood.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have owned two sports before my rebel. Rebel feels faster without a doubt. I had 3.92 rear end in my sports aswell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I test drove the Rebel again yesterday, but this time pushed it a little harder. It felt more powerful and responsive this time. I think I just wasn't being aggressive enough with it the first time.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I test drove the Rebel again yesterday, but this time pushed it a little harder. It felt more powerful and responsive this time. I think I just wasn't being aggressive enough with it the first time.

Thanks for the replies.
I did notice that when I first got mine it seemed to lack throttle responsiveness. But after a few miles and days it seems much better. it may be programed that way from the factory. It does have adaptive learning to your driving style. I do have a video of my 2014 Laramie crew cab doing 0 to 60 in 6.6 seconds which is impressive to me. I test the rebel and compare tne two.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
You did 2 test drives and hadn't bought one yet. Your my new hero, I can't go into a dealership with out walking out with something.

·
Registered
165 Posts
All terrain tires or bigger tires in general tend to have a bumpier ride. They are meant obviously for slower speeds off road and it worse weather conditions they will do 10x better.
Bigger tires also tend to give less fuel economy and make the vehicle a little slow just because it has to work a little harder to rotate the tires, especially if it is lifted.
The Sport may also weigh a little less which will make it a little faster as well. I don't remember the gear ratio or what the suspension and axles are but that could play a factor in why it seems quicker as well. However, the biggest factor might be the weight difference if there is a huge difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my Rebel for 14 months now and and I love it ! Gas could be better but that is a big truck so... milleage improve little bit since it crossed 25 000 km !

Air suspention is my only concern in the long run but works perfectly. I love when I hook my camper trailer and it is always level compare to my Gmc Sierra that was probably dropping down 6 inches....

Ram 1500 Sport is a good looking truck too but the interior of the Rebel is amazing and probably the best looking interior of all !

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I got my Rebel for 14 months now and and I love it ! Gas could be better but that is a big truck so... milleage improve little bit since it crossed 25 000 km !

Air suspention is my only concern in the long run but works perfectly. I love when I hook my camper trailer and it is always level compare to my Gmc Sierra that was probably dropping down 6 inches....

Ram 1500 Sport is a good looking truck too but the interior of the Rebel is amazing and probably the best looking interior of all !
Good points! Agree

1 - 13 of 13 Posts