Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was looking for a Rebel in my area (OKC), I came across the Warlock, I hadn't heard of that model before so I did some research and see it's fairly similar to a Rebel. Anyway, what is the best yr for a Rebel/Warlock, by best year I mean the model year with the least amount of problems. I'm thinking about looking for a 2017 and up.

Is there a year when the air suspension is at it's best? I believe I saw on a site where the 2015 Rebel's had issues with the air suspension.

I am not planning on taking the truck off road but having the capability would be nice. Also, after this last snow event I'd rather have it and not need it so I'm looking for a 4X4. I've found a couple Rebels I might go take a look at and a couple Warlocks. I also found a 2014 Raptor with 95K miles for $36,995, but the inside is not nearly as nice as what I'm looking at with the Rebel/Warlock.

I'll be trading my 2008 Ram 1500, lifted, 35's, 2wd. I've had my truck for going on 8 yrs and I love it, but I feel it's time for something new/updated.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After doing some more research I think I'll be looking for a Warlock more than a Rebel. I don't want to deal with that air ride suspension. Unless it's not bad in warmer weather, I live in Oklahoma so with the exception of the past couple of weeks it doesn't get that cold.
At the same time, I don't want to deal with some of the things I've read on this site with the air suspension.

· Registered
286 Posts
The air suspension, based on posts on this forum, has problems - sooner or later. You can buy a Rebel without air suspension you know. They come with a Bilstein suspension (at least my 2020 did).
2015 - 2018 air ride only
The 5th gen 2019+ optional

Can't go wrong with a warlock basically the same as the rebel except no air ride obviously and I think its a factory 1 inch lift, 20 inch wheels instead of 17s and no giant ram lettering on the tailgate
Also they have a few different options available so if you don't need a fully loaded truck you can get them on the cheaper side of things

· Super Moderator
2017 Ram Rebel
115 Posts
After doing some more research I think I'll be looking for a Warlock more than a Rebel. I don't want to deal with that air ride suspension. Unless it's not bad in warmer weather, I live in Oklahoma so with the exception of the past couple of weeks, it doesn't get that cold.
At the same time, I don't want to deal with some of the things I've read on this site with the air suspension.
I have a 2017 Rebel and have had no issues with the Air Ride. IF you are in an extremely cold climate I would not get the air ride. I am in a mild climate in Canada and we have only had -10 Celsius for a week each year and no issues for me

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm leaning towards a Warlock, but finding one with the nicer stereo and instrument cluster is proving to be a little difficult. I've found some that look awesome on the outside but the interior is bland, the lower end stereo and instrument cluster.
Then I'll find an average looking one but a nice interior. It's been hard to find one that has both.
I'm looking for a used one, I'd like to stay under $40K.
Thanks for the replies and help.

· Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2017 Rebel. We got it cause my wife has some mobility issues and It is the best in warm weather. However, every year when we have our cold snap in January/February the air suspension will sag to the entry/exit position. I'll have to pull it inside to get it to warm up and then it works fine. Now this year the front is in entry/exit and the rear is in normal so it reminds me of my youth when there was a trend to jacking up the back end and lowering the front. Gotta get in to the dealer and if I get a chance I'll probably get rid of the air suspension.

· Registered
105 Posts
No issues with the air suspension (2017 Rebel). Even works in cold weather but I'm never under 10 degrees longer than a couple of days. I get a new Ram every 5 years, so now looking forward to 2022 model year. I think I'll stick with air suspension for the following reasons:

• Low Level - great for loading pavers and heavy loads in and out. Plus I'm now north of 60 years old when when I have a knee or hip issue flare up, it makes entry/exit so easy.
  • Off Road - nice so gain some clearance when occasionally off road without having to spend money and sacrifice performance to gain a few inches.

· Registered
45 Posts
2015 - 2018 air ride only
The 5th gen 2019+ optional

Can't go wrong with a warlock basically the same as the rebel except no air ride obviously and I think its a factory 1 inch lift, 20 inch wheels instead of 17s and no giant ram lettering on the tailgate
Also they have a few different options available so if you don't need a fully loaded truck you can get them on the cheaper side of things
2021 Rebel has 18" wheels. Air ride is not standard on a Rebel.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

· Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
83 Posts

Proper care and a warm garage to park and the air ride can handle cold weather just fine. But if your truck never sees the inside of a heated garage, coil over may be the right choice for you

· Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 31399
Proper care and a warm garage to park and the air ride can handle cold weather just fine. But if your truck never sees the inside of a heated garage, coil over may be the right choice for you
Speaking with a dealer tech here in cold Alberta the warm to cold to warm is actually worse as the condensation builds up and freezes and breaks stuff. He hates the air ride as he has had to continuously fix 1-2 year old trucks with new compressors, air lines and bags up here as the suspension tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
83 Posts
Speaking with a dealer tech here in cold Alberta the warm to cold to warm is actually worse as the condensation builds up and freezes and breaks stuff. He hates the air ride as he has had to continuously fix 1-2 year old trucks with new compressors, air lines and bags up here as the suspension tech.

Well I can only tell you what worked for me. I winterized it. I disabled aero mode to limit its use in the cold Alaska weather. And I kept it in the garage at night. Mine has held up well. We've had a ton of snow. Cold snaps of -40F, then it'd warm up to above zero, snow a bunch and get cold again. Even now we're still getting beat on by winter. I am personally way over it lol.But maybe I just got lucky. You get one built on a Friday you may not be as fortunate. My reasoning for replacing it is performance based. The carli kit with King shocks will be far more responsive, level the truck out, and be more fun overall I think. And with my Whipple on the way I've heard repeatedly that the air ride does poorly under those applications as far as stability during heavy acceleration.

· Registered
2016 Ram Rebel
83 Posts

I have also noticed that most of these types of complaints about the airrride come out of Canada. Not all, but most. I dont have any idea if they do something differently with the compressor or any other components. Could just be a coincidence but just my observation

· Registered
2 Posts
As a former owner of a 2016 rebel I had a few problems with the air suspension mostly in the winter caused by blown fuse I upgraded the fuse and problems went away . But I can tell you if want a truck that performs on wet or snow covered pavement do not buy a ram with air ride !!! It was the worst 4x4 by leveling the truck it would take weight of the rear axle which made it horrible in the rain or snow . You can’t beat the system off road or on dry highway. Just some info for you. I also owned a warlock great truck no issues just very plain inside your basic truck. Hope this helps you!

· Registered
5 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but there is a big difference between the Rebel and Warlock. Not only is the Warlock a couple of steps lower on the trim level, but The Rebel is built for Off-Road use with a factory 1" lift, skid plates, much better suspension and ride quality, and 1.25 tons more towing compacity. The Rebel is also available without an air ride suspension which rode better. Warlock is your basic ram with appearance upgrades without the extra cost.

This is almost a year old... What did you go with?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts