Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Newbie, first post. Wondering what's involved in removing the air ride suspension?

A bit of research pointed to taking out the air suspension and putting in springs, shocks and read spring Isolators. Also to disconnect the compressor?

Is that all there is to it? Does anything need to be done in the settings?

Which ram suspension would fit?

Sorry for all the questions, this seems like the best place to ask them. Buying another model truck is not an option.

Some help and pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
969 Posts
Welcome.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi,

Newbie, first post. Wondering what's involved in removing the air ride suspension?

A bit of research pointed to taking out the air suspension and putting in springs, shocks and read spring Isolators. Also to disconnect the compressor?

Is that all there is to it? Does anything need to be done in the settings?

Which ram suspension would fit?

Sorry for all the questions, this seems like the best place to ask them. Buying another model truck is not an option.

Some help and pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Really not much to it. Take out the sensors and disconnect the lines, not too hard, then you can either cap the lines or cut them back to the compressor and remove the power source or just leave it hooked up like it did and use it for camping. I removed mine and put coilovers and springs in mine, works great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really not much to it. Take out the sensors and disconnect the lines, not too hard, then you can either cap the lines or cut them back to the compressor and remove the power source or just leave it hooked up like it did and use it for camping. I removed mine and put coilovers and springs in mine, works great.
Perfect, thanks for the info. As for coilovers and springs, anything that fits a 1500 should bolt on?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I might be wrong, not the first time, but to remove the air suspension would be a big mistake. It would not only ruin the ride but it would devalue the Rebel to no end. The air ride is Rebel. When you remove the air ride you no longer have a Rebel. What would it do to your warranty? You wouldn't have one. Please, please reconsider this.
Big Red

·
Registered
429 Posts
Nice! Is it possible for you to take pics of your suspension setup front and back? Would be much appreciated. Thank you
I can try I have a few installation pictures I can post later today as well. Towards the end of the install I was to focused to take pictures lol

·
Registered
429 Posts
I might be wrong, not the first time, but to remove the air suspension would be a big mistake. It would not only ruin the ride but it would devalue the Rebel to no end. The air ride is Rebel. When you remove the air ride you no longer have a Rebel. What would it do to your warranty? You wouldn't have one. Please, please reconsider this.
Big Red
I have to respectfully disagree. The rebel is an offroad truck made to compete with the FX4, by removing the air ride and putting in a race style suspension I have actually improved the ride from factory and increased the value of my truck exponentially, specially in my area. FCA warranties systems not whole vehicles, therefore I still have drivetrain warranty but not on the air ride.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You don't have to apologize to me. As I have said before and will say again. It is your truck and your money. You can do whatever you want to. I just give you my opinion and you know what they say about them, everybody's got one. Seriously I support you 100 percent and look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing about the mods. Sounds like like a lot of knuckle busting ion me along with some head scratching. Be careful and good luck.
Big Red

·
Registered
28 Posts
Speaking form experience, You can write off any expense on mods you put on a recently new vehicle and even devalue your vehicle while doing it. Has it ever stopped me before? Off course not lol. You build the vehicle the way you want it but I would never delude myself into thinking any kind of big mods I do add value to the vehicle. It only brings the value down or if your in some kind of small chance ...lucky, might hold the same value without putting into account the price of what you put into it. Mods are not cheap and time, even if its your own labour costs more then the mods themselves lol. Also its very rare that after doing mods to the suspension that the ride won't be affected in at least one area. Again, that is coming from my own experience after driving and modifying various vehicles and noticing the differences.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree. The rebel is an offroad truck made to compete with the FX4, by removing the air ride and putting in a race style suspension I have actually improved the ride from factory and increased the value of my truck exponentially, specially in my area. FCA warranties systems not whole vehicles, therefore I still have drivetrain warranty but not on the air ride.
so the ride improved with the bds 6" coil over?
I do mainly city driving, and am debating the bds 6" coil over.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If it suits you, congrats. I will leave mine alone. As I have said before it's your truck and your money. Do what you want. Enjoy your Rebel.
Big Red

·
Registered
969 Posts
Great pics man. Great info on your lift too. It's not something I would consider doing to my rebel. I use the entry exit mode a lot as my wifey has MS and even a small step up is difficult. Also, here in my province their isn't a lot of opportunities to truly off road. The whole province is covered in rolling hills and clay roads with sand stone rocks, so it's more like trail riding. It's still fun, just not as challenging for a heavy duty suspension, and, doesn't require a huge amount of articulation.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts