Ram Rebel Forum banner

201 - 208 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Really not much to it. Take out the sensors and disconnect the lines, not too hard, then you can either cap the lines or cut them back to the compressor and remove the power source or just leave it hooked up like it did and use it for camping. I removed mine and put coilovers and springs in mine, works great.
What kit did you buy ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree. The rebel is an offroad truck made to compete with the FX4, by removing the air ride and putting in a race style suspension I have actually improved the ride from factory and increased the value of my truck exponentially, specially in my area. FCA warranties systems not whole vehicles, therefore I still have drivetrain warranty but not on the air ride.
[/QUOTHow did you replace rear air bags please help

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread, because I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my 2018 Rebel.

I actually did not want to buy a Rebel because it was the only model you could not remove air-ride as a factory option. To me the air ride is unnecessary, will get in the way of installing a proper lift, and is just another system that will eventually fail and require maintenance.

So my plan was to buy a 1500 Sport, then do the lift on that. But I learned that the Rebel is the only 1500 with a 44-45 true full-time 4x4 transfer case. The standard 1500 uses a 44-44, in which 4x4 Lock Mode doesn't really lock... the front axle engages only when the rear slips, like 4x4 Auto.

So what I would like to do is have a skilled mechanic remove the air ride, and install a 6" BDS lift with coil-over + reservoirs. This is I think the most advanced (and most expensive) suspension you can get. One cool thing about it is it's adjustable between 4" and 6". So I can run a 35s with just enough lift to optimize suspension travel.

Intended use for my Rebel: Deserts, sand dunes, and forest trails. Nothing extreme enough where lockers would be needed.

Let me know what you guy's think.

Thanks!
-JD
hi,thanks for share you plan! I have 2018 rebel as well, my current setting is with bds 4inchi lift for air ride! But I'm so tire to fight with the air suspendtion,looks like the bds 6inchi coilover kit is best for me, But just not sure can I just buy the front coilover and rear spring from bds, the uesd my current lift components? The reason why I'm think to this way because 6inchi coilover kit can adjusted down to 4inchi, But not sure what I should order rear spring high

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really not much to it. Take out the sensors and disconnect the lines, not too hard, then you can either cap the lines or cut them back to the compressor and remove the power source or just leave it hooked up like it did and use it for camping. I removed mine and put coilovers and springs in mine, works great.
Have you ever seen anybody leave it hooked up for camping? I'm interested in converting mine and maybe replacing the "suspension buttons" with like an on/off switch to pump up and use as a regular air compressor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like stated above just finished up my install. After breaking my sensors in pismo just cruising to our camp spot. And being paranoid about how often I’m hours away from cell service last thing I want is to be stranded from someones horrible engineering decision.

Bilstein 6112 set @ 2.8
Icon Uniball uca
Removed the front swaybar
Stock rear coils w/ bilstein 5100’s (can get the p/n off the invoice if anyone is curious)

Pretty sure I gained a inch or two of droop on the front end looking from the front during the install it had noticeably more droop. Still planning on getting icon rear coils and adding limit straps to at least the front.

But the truck drives great, with the stock rear coils and about 290ish lbs in my bed (rtt and bedrack) I’m sitting a inch lower in the rear.

Flashed the bcm with alfaobd basically telling the truck there’s no air suspension anymore so no warning and all the settings for the air ride are gone from the radio. After my local dealership didn’t think it was possible and wanted $200 to even try.

(Was also able to disable fog lights off w/ hi beams, told the truck it has hids so no need for resistors, activated the front turn signal as the dtrl’s, lowered my tire pressure settings, added the option for the cargo cam, added the srt radio start up display, and remote window down. Still playing around with other settings)

View attachment 27893 View attachment 27895
Hey man. Your set up is exactly what I'm looking for. Little confused on what to do with the lights coming on concerning the errors for air suspension. What do I need to get and do to remove those and how? Is it drivable with the errors popping up or does it go in "limp mode". Researched and nothing is show step by step directions on how to remove them. . Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You are able to drive with the vehicle was the error codes the truck will not go into limp mode you just need to Pull all of the fuses that have to do with the air ride once you remove it and add your coil over suspension. Everything to do is the air ride suspension is labeled inside of the junction box where all of the fuses are so he should be able to figure out what fuses to pull it’s best to pull every single one that has to do with the whole air ride module in the truck so the only service message that you’ll get is service air ride but none of the buttons will be lit on the actual auxiliary switch that is inside of the vehicle.

201 - 208 of 208 Posts