Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a used Rebel home for the night a few months ago and before pulling into my car port I checked clearance and it fit fine in Normal mode. Three weeks ago I pulled the trigger and bought a brand new Rebel. When I got it home I decided to check the clearance and this one would not fit under the car port as the Shark Fin Antenna was about 0.5" too tall in Normal Mode. It fits in Aero or Entry/Exit modes.

So every time I park at home I have to lower the truck before pulling in.

I figure that after the first time my wife or I forget to lower it we'll rip off the Antenna and screw up the roof; I can just have the body shop remove it for good and shave the roof.

I can live without the XM and Uconnect features. I was wondering if anyone knew any unforeseen issues I may run into?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2013 ram had an antenna for satellite radio that was rectangular and flat (no shark fin) and only about 3/8" tall. Maybe you can get one of those.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Already busted mine off backing out of the garage. Not sure if the truck went up on it's own, or I bumped the air ride switch. Replacement was $35 dollars and did the work myself.....and yes, the roof is F'D up.:mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already busted mine off backing out of the garage. Not sure if the truck went up on it's own, or I bumped the air ride switch. Replacement was $35 dollars and did the work myself.....and yes, the roof is F'D up.:mad:
When you busted it off what alarms and notices did you see on the Touchscreen?

I'm wondering if the "alarms and notices" would be something I can live with forever if I remove it permanently.

I've started to just pull in instead of backing in because the factory antenna is the same height as the xm antenna. Works as a clearance warning before any damage is done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2013 ram had an antenna for satellite radio that was rectangular and flat (no shark fin) and only about 3/8" tall. Maybe you can get one of those.
I've thought about doing that. I would lose the UConnect features by going with a "puck" style antenna as they are only for XM.

I don't agree with several things XM does and I don't plan on renewing when my subscription expires next August.

So basically its an all or nothing decision for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No warnings or buzzers, just that loud crunching sound when it snapped off. I actually thought that i hit the whole back of the cab! I was relieved when i saw it was just the fin......until i saw the damage to the roof! After it hit, i looked down at the dash and saw it was in "off road" mode. I make sure i check that every time BEFORE i back out now. $$$$ lesson learned.....
I was looking into a flat one, but didn't have alot of time to do the proper research. Inside the fin, there is a metal blade that sticks up, that's why the fin design, but everything worked while i was waiting for the new one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No warnings or buzzers, just that loud crunching sound when it snapped off. I actually thought that i hit the whole back of the cab! I was relieved when i saw it was just the fin......until i saw the damage to the roof! After it hit, i looked down at the dash and saw it was in "off road" mode. I make sure i check that every time BEFORE i back out now. $$$$ lesson learned.....
I was looking into a flat one, but didn't have alot of time to do the proper research. Inside the fin, there is a metal blade that sticks up, that's why the fin design, but everything worked while i was waiting for the new one.
Sorry to revive this old post but MTH 16, can you tell me how you got to the Antenna and Cable? What panels you had to remove? I have to replace mine after my husband had it say hello to a cement beam in a parking garage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You only have to completely remove the one around the seat belt and the hook for clothes on that side. The headliner will pull down enough to get access to the antenna. I wedged something in there to help. The antenna harness is clipped to the roof, just use a long flat blade screwdriver to pop it loose. To remove the antenna, I used a 1/4 inch 10mm swivel socket on a long extension. There is one bolt in the middle of a 4 prong metal piece that pulls the antenna tight to the roof. Hope this helps and the roof didn't take to bad of a hit!

·
Registered
27 Posts
You only have to completely remove the one around the seat belt and the hook for clothes on that side. The headliner will pull down enough to get access to the antenna. I wedged something in there to help. The antenna harness is clipped to the roof, just use a long flat blade screwdriver to pop it loose. To remove the antenna, I used a 1/4 inch 10mm swivel socket on a long extension. There is one bolt in the middle of a 4 prong metal piece that pulls the antenna tight to the roof. Hope this helps and the roof didn't take to bad of a hit!
Thank You!!! I just picked up the part from Mopar, wish me luck :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
MTH16 I had a really hard time getting the liner down enough to get in their with the 10mm Socket I had, if I picked up an extension I still would have a difficult time reaching the cables to detach them. Could you take a look at these photos...
Maybe I am not being forceful enough (out of fear of damaging the liner)?
Did you remove the entire side panel where the seatbelt is or just pull it back like I did in the photo?
IMG_3237.JPG
IMG_3236.JPG

·
Registered
27 Posts
I finally got it!! Feeling so accomplished! LOL Thankfully there was no damage to the roof and once I was able to get the old Antenna off it was a piece of cake!

Attachments

Reactions: johnj

·
Registered
20 Posts
I finally got it!! Feeling so accomplished! LOL Thankfully there was no damage to the roof and once I was able to get the old Antenna off it was a piece of cake!
Sorry, didn't see you question till this morning. Glad to hear it went well.

Just an fyi, my truck has risen to "off road" mode three times on it's own. Rebel owners beware.....dealer has no clue why.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad it went well. I'd have been paranoid about getting it sealed correctly to avoid leaking.
I was a bit paranoid about that as well, but there is really only one way to attach and secure the antenna. It has a gasket immediately around the opening to the truck and another gasket around the entire antenna, it seems pretty well sealed as long as you tighten it down sufficiently. I took the hose to it, just to make sure. ;)

Reactions: johnj
1 - 14 of 14 Posts